The Convergence Quartet - Song/Dance

Alexander Hawkins

I hope no-one will mind a plug...

I'm pleased to say The Convergence Quartet's new album, 'Song/Dance' is now out on Clean Feed.

We recorded it in the studio after 10 or so consecutive nights' gigs last year, and I'm very proud of the results...the four of us in the band should have some copies after the weekend (when we launch the record in Coimbra, Portugal)...of course, it's also available from Clean Feed, on iTunes, at Emusic, and I'm sure elsewhere!

Anyway, if anyone checks it out - please enjoy!

I just read about this album on a squidco e-mail and listened to a couple clips there. Sounds really good. This is for sure a buy.

Please forgive me for saying that I don't know much about your music, but I will be finding out. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this one a few days ago from eMusic... very impressed!

Influences I hear: Braxton, Roscoe Mitchell, Cecil Taylor, Vijay Iyer, Barry Altschul, Mal Waldron...

Lots of provocative, interesting, exciting, beautiful, surprising, and unexpected things happening here... this record makes me smile! :)

Congrats, Alexander. Hope to see you guys live some time.

-- Mark

Another marvellous record, Alex. Really varied - from the very free to the lyrical - but always sidestepping the obvious. Lovely ending with that kwela/calypso (can't make my mind up which!) final song. You should have got it out as a World Cup single tie-in!!!!

Experiment with it, folks. It's what e-music is for!