World Cup 2010

I think you're missing my point, I am baseing my opinion on what happened. I didn't expect anything from this WC, I was in no way looking forward to it and not just because Ireland weren't there, (however judging by how bad the whole thing was thay might have done ok, better than France anyway) but because the WC usually disappoints, at least most of the ones I can remember from my lifetime. There is way to much club football played in an average season to expect players to be able to step up again and perform for another 3 weeks. But usually there are a couple of classic games, or a player you've never really heard of before stealing the show and then has every big club in the world wanting to sign him. Did that happen this time?, maybe some of the German games, though you can't really count the ones against the Aussies or England as they didn't really put up much of a fight, Honda for Japan stood out but he's already playing at CL level with CSKA Moscow so he doesn't really count, alot of the Geman players are also playing at a decent level. So if NZ getting 3 draws and not disgracing themselves is a highlight, for anyone other than a Kiwi that is, it kinda just proves what a shit WC it really was.

Although that octopus rocked. Does he do Lotto number by any chance.

I couldn't disagree more and the fact that you say you weren't expecting anything is revealing. Even though the players are a little tired, it's great theater and for me, as a Spain fan, the WC didn't disappoint in the least. From that perspective, it was one of the best ever :) If I had to think back to some of the other WCs I've seen they didn't disappoint either: Brasil winning their third cup in 1970; Maradona's "hand of god" in 1986; France in 1998; and Brasil again in 2002.

This WC had some great moments also: the Kiwis holding off Italy, Landon Donovan getting the goal that sent the US into the Round of 16, the Netherlands ousting Brasil and Iniesta scoring the goal that won it for Spain. Probably no unknown players but Forlan's performance was wonderful to watch.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides of this. Overall, I think there were too many games played too conservatively, and performances were generally less exciting or spectacular than they have been in some of the WC's of the past. On the other hand, I watched probably close to 60 matches, and I enjoyed almost every one of them. Why? Simply because it was the World Cup (the same reason I can enjoy watching performances of athletes I've never seen before during the olympics). I even enjoy listening to the national anthems that I almost never hear otherwise. I didn't bring many expectations to any game, especially in the earlier rounds (by the later rounds, it was more clear as to who was likely to do what). There is always going to be some kind of drama or interesting story underlying any game.

One of my favorite moments from this tournament was something that I didn't even experience until after the tournament was over. Of course, the aforementioned Landon Donovan goal that won group C for the USA was one of my favorite moments, and I watched it live on ESPN with Ian Darke announcing. After the WC, I found a video of the great Andres Cantor making the call of that goal, from the Telemundo broadcast. Ian Darke's call was fun, but this was pretty special too...

Donovan goal vs Algeria

The only trouble I have with the Andres Cantor call is that most of his calls sound the same. However, you get the passion that seems to be missing among some of the British broadcaster. Had the US avoided the tendency to give up the early goal, they might have gotten to the semis.

The only trouble I have with the Andres Cantor call is that most of his calls sound the same.

Most, perhaps... but not this one. :) It's not the repetetive "Gooooooooollllllllll" thing that I'm responding to (that does get a little tiresome), it's his obvious emotion, even before the play is finished off. He's extremely excited (maybe moreso than I've ever heard from him, although I don't recall if I was listening when he called Maradona's wonder goal in the '86 WC, which is one of his legendary calls), and nearly in tears in the aftermath. Even during the "Gooooooooollllllllll" portion, there's one moment when he growls like I've never heard him do. As he's gotten older and his voice more fragile, he usually holds back, but he let loose on this one.

The U.S. needs more reliable finishers, especially from longer range. I think that's probably our biggest flaw, and has been for quite awhile.

I think you're missing my point, I am baseing my opinion on what happened.

You say this ... but then you again talk about what didn't happen:

I didn't expect anything from this WC, I was in no way looking forward to it and not just because Ireland weren't there, (however judging by how bad the whole thing was thay might have done ok, better than France anyway) but because the WC usually disappoints, at least most of the ones I can remember from my lifetime. There is way to much club football played in an average season to expect players to be able to step up again and perform for another 3 weeks. But usually there are a couple of classic games, or a player you've never really heard of before stealing the show and then has every big club in the world wanting to sign him. Did that happen this time?, maybe some of the German games, though you can't really count the ones against the Aussies or England as they didn't really put up much of a fight, Honda for Japan stood out but he's already playing at CL level with CSKA Moscow so he doesn't really count, alot of the Geman players are also playing at a decent level. So if NZ getting 3 draws and not disgracing themselves is a highlight, for anyone other than a Kiwi that is, it kinda just proves what a shit WC it really was.

I'm a cynic about the WC, the Olympics, the political and geographical absurdities of international cricket and much more. Sufficiently cynical in fact - yet still a fan - to not indulge in wishful thinking. Sport - along with food, music and my son - is my main forms of delight and joy in the world, so I'll be damned if I'll let a general all-round lack of perfection and sainthoods spoil it.

But then, disgruntlement could also constitute a form of enjoyment.

Edited by kenny weir

I think you're missing my point, I am baseing my opinion on what happened. I didn't expect anything from this WC, I was in no way looking forward to it and not just because Ireland weren't there, (however judging by how bad the whole thing was thay might have done ok, better than France anyway) but because the WC usually disappoints, at least most of the ones I can remember from my lifetime. There is way to much club football played in an average season to expect players to be able to step up again and perform for another 3 weeks. But usually there are a couple of classic games, or a player you've never really heard of before stealing the show and then has every big club in the world wanting to sign him. Did that happen this time?, maybe some of the German games, though you can't really count the ones against the Aussies or England as they didn't really put up much of a fight, Honda for Japan stood out but he's already playing at CL level with CSKA Moscow so he doesn't really count, alot of the Geman players are also playing at a decent level. So if NZ getting 3 draws and not disgracing themselves is a highlight, for anyone other than a Kiwi that is, it kinda just proves what a shit WC it really was.

Although that octopus rocked. Does he do Lotto number by any chance.

I couldn't disagree more and the fact that you say you weren't expecting anything is revealing. Even though the players are a little tired, it's great theater and for me, as a Spain fan, the WC didn't disappoint in the least. From that perspective, it was one of the best ever :) If I had to think back to some of the other WCs I've seen they didn't disappoint either: Brasil winning their third cup in 1970; Maradona's "hand of god" in 1986; France in 1998; and Brasil again in 2002.

This WC had some great moments also: the Kiwis holding off Italy, Landon Donovan getting the goal that sent the US into the Round of 16, the Netherlands ousting Brasil and Iniesta scoring the goal that won it for Spain. Probably no unknown players but Forlan's performance was wonderful to watch.

I don't think the fact that I wasn't expecting anything is revealing at all, I live in Ireland so I expect that the weather will be fairly bad but that doesn't mean I don't hope that it will be good and when it is good it doesn't mean I'm not thrilled about it. :D :D :D

Of course if the team you are adopting wins it's a good WC and I myself was glad Spain won it in the end. I don't think I said or even implied that this was the worst WC ever, however there are certin aspects to this particular one that draged it down, the "special" WC ball made it very difficult for some of the world's best players to perform the most rudimentary tasks, passing, free kicks, corners etc were usually overhit, the pitches seemed to cut up pretty badly after 2 games had been played on them, the officiating was so consistantly bad that it may have forced FIFA to seriously look at introducing technology into the game and the formation de jour of the whole tournament seems to have been a 4 2 3 1, which is a very cautious and denfensive formation unless, like Spain, you have some very skillful players.

Even Sir Alex Ferguson described it as "disappointing", and he knows a bit about football. :w :w :w

I didn't expect anything from this WC, I was in no way looking forward to it and not just because Ireland weren't there, (however judging by how bad the whole thing was thay might have done ok, better than France anyway) but because the WC usually disappoints, at least most of the ones I can remember from my lifetime. There is way to much club football played in an average season to expect players to be able to step up again and perform for another 3 weeks. But usually there are a couple of classic games, or a player you've never really heard of before stealing the show and then has every big club in the world wanting to sign him. Did that happen this time?, maybe some of the German games, though you can't really count the ones against the Aussies or England as they didn't really put up much of a fight, Honda for Japan stood out but he's already playing at CL level with CSKA Moscow so he doesn't really count, alot of the Geman players are also playing at a decent level. So if NZ getting 3 draws and not disgracing themselves is a highlight, for anyone other than a Kiwi that is, it kinda just proves what a shit WC it really was.

I'm a cynic about the WC, the Olympics, the political and geographical absurdities of international cricket and much more. Sufficiently cynical in fact - yet still a fan - to not indulge in wishful thinking. Sport - along with food, music and my son - is my main forms of delight and joy in the world, so I'll be damned if I'll let a general all-round lack of perfection and sainthoods spoil it.

Of course I'm going to talk about what didn't happen in the WC, that's one of the reasons I, like my old friend Sir Alex, found it disappointing, very little did happen. Even if you go into it with low expectations of what you're going to see it doesn't mean you don't hope that you're proved wrong. It's still the WC. I think if you're a sports fan and you don't indulge in wishful thinking you're not really a sports fan, I would think having unrealistic fantasies about what your team can achieve is possibly the very essence of being a fan. I should know, I'm a Liverpool fan and still think they're going to win the league in my lifetime.

I think that being New Zealand's chief cheerleader may have clouded your opinion/judgement of this particular WC. But it could have been a lot worse I suppose, you might have been Slovakia's chief cheerleader, it was their first WC as well, but they actually won a game.

Oh, and just as an FYI, I am completely gruntled, always have been, always will be.

Of course I'm going to talk about what didn't happen in the WC, that's one of the reasons I, like my old friend Sir Alex, found it disappointing, very little did happen. Even if you go into it with low expectations of what you're going to see it doesn't mean you don't hope that you're proved wrong. It's still the WC. I think if you're a sports fan and you don't indulge in wishful thinking you're not really a sports fan, I would think having unrealistic fantasies about what your team can achieve is possibly the very essence of being a fan. I should know, I'm a Liverpool fan and still think they're going to win the league in my lifetime.

I think that being New Zealand's chief cheerleader may have clouded your opinion/judgement of this particular WC. But it could have been a lot worse I suppose, you might have been Slovakia's chief cheerleader, it was their first WC as well, but they actually won a game.

Oh, and just as an FYI, I am completely gruntled, always have been, always will be.

Oz met my expectations. Oddly, they got exactly the same results as last time - W, L, D. But the thrashing at the hands of the Germans did for them.

NZ exceeded my expectations.

Looky here, I have sports fans wild dreams just like everyone else.

But in terms of the WC, with soccer not being the dominant code in either NZ or Oz, you'd be silly not keep some perspective. More than 200 teams aspire to WC finals status; only 32 get there. So that's pretty bloody good going, right there.

And I actually enjoy the rollercoaster qualifying process more.

Yours cordially and in mutual gruntlement!

It's true Sir Alex did say it was "disappointing" but the article did not elaborate disappointing in what way. He could have been talking about England's performance as in the same paragraph he also talked about France's performance. Without more, it's hard to draw the conclusion that he found the entire WC disappointing.

Interesting, however, that he has turned the England job down. Now that he's accomplised everything there is to accomplish, why not think about 2014 (and take a sabbatical from Man U). However, unless his points about the poundings the players take in the Premier League aren't followed, it doesn't matter who the manager is.

It's true Sir Alex did say it was "disappointing" but the article did not elaborate disappointing in what way. He could have been talking about England's performance as in the same paragraph he also talked about France's performance. Without more, it's hard to draw the conclusion that he found the entire WC disappointing.

Hmm.. not so sure about that, the quote is; "Ferguson thinks it was a "disappointing" World Cup and that France's performances were "terrible",". I think it's fairly obvious that he is talking about the WC in general and I don't think he would need to elaborate on why he found it that way, it was just disappointing, the way things sometime are. He also mentions by name a lot of the big players that didn't perform, not really living up to the expectations, so again he's talking about the whole thing not living up to the hype. I believe that he was talking in general/overall terms about the whole competition. I very much doubt he would bad mouth England, in public anyway, as there are a few of his players in the team, not to mention that Rio is now both the United and England captain.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously Sir Alex changed his mind on Evra after blasting his conduct as French team captain in WC2010

Weeks ago!

Agree with Sir Alex's assessment about WC1986 being the best of the recent tournaments. I was in Mexico for this and remember it as one of the very best journalistic assignments I ever got.

So many great games :tup

Edited by brownie

No disagreement from me.

Simon Barnes wrote a similar and persuasive piece for The Times.

Some of the main points. IIRC:

*Players too tired.

*Main loyalty to clubs.

*Champions League more important.

It really was a dud, and I expect it'll be so going forward.

Which makes me wish Australia wasn't spending the required multi-millions try to get the 2012 Cup. I mean, who wants it? The Cup and Games and F1 organisers dangle these circuses like, well, of course, why wouldn't you want them in your town. But it's all smoke and mirrors. There just isn't any justification for most countries/cities to get into this sort of silly BS race.

I agree with a colleague - Games should be permanently in Athens/Greece, WC somewhere else, and Australia should let its F1 GP slip away for the simple reason it'd get Bernie Ecclestone out of our lives. :o

Edited by kenny weir

• 2 months later...

Heard that this morning. They said on the BBC that he died in his sleep. I guess 2 1/2 is the normal life span of an octopus is. Not too many octopuses made this sort of a "splash." Sorry for the bad pun rolleyes.gif

He'll always be a hero in Spain!

Edited by Brad

• 1 month later...

Interesting comment made by controversial Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes about Spain's win in WC2010

Velonation story

“If I said what I know, goodbye to the World Cup and European Championship,” he is reported to have told his cellmate, a youth from the area who is frequently in and out of jail.

Waiting for reactions from Spain now...

• 5 months later...