World Cup 2010

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Ghana... seems to me a penalty wasn't enough for that fowl! It should have simply counted as a goal (looks to me like it was almost behind the line anyway)!

They have such a rule in ice hockey. If the puck is going towards an open goal and a player stops it by throwing a club, it will count as a goal, even though the puck never actually entered the goal.

Football should have a rule like that too in a case like this. It would have been a goal if Suarez hadn't stopped it with his hands and Uruguay would have been out. Now Suarez has become some sort of hero for taking Uruguay to the semifinal by stopping the ball with his hands. It is laughable to see the red card as a punishment in this case.

As for Ghana... seems to me a penalty wasn't enough for that fowl! It should have simply counted as a goal (looks to me like it was almost behind the line anyway)!

They have such a rule in ice hockey. If the puck is going towards an open goal and a player stops it by throwing a club, it will count as a goal, even though the puck never actually entered the goal.

Football should have a rule like that too in a case like this. It would have been a goal if Suarez hadn't stopped it with his hands and Uruguay would have been out. Now Suarez has become some sort of hero for taking Uruguay to the semifinal by stopping the ball with his hands. It is laughable to see the red card as a punishment in this case.

"Almost behind the line" does not count, the whole ball has to be over the line. Stopping a ball in the penalty area by handling it like Suárez did will be punished by a red card and a penalty kick. Those are the rules in football/soccer, whether you like it or not. The fact that Ghana missed the penalty is not Uruguay's fault. These things happen.

By the way, I'm not a Uruguay fan, on the contrary :)

Agreed, anybody who believes that there should have been an auto-goal because of the intentional hand ball is misguided and misinformed. Suarez is a hero; he sacrificed himself for his team. His punishment fits the crime since he won't be able to play next round. Ghana didn't convert and that's their issue not Uruguay's. Uruguay won within the rules of the game.

Now this is Germany's cup to lose.

Lou

Soccer cheating that’s really unsportsmanlike

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

JOHANNESBURG – The rules of soccer are jammed together in a long document provided by the sport’s governing body, FIFA. And nowhere, not once in 140 pages, is the word “cheating” mentioned.

Given the stubborn refusal by the men in charge to admit that cheating is either a serious problem, or needs fixing, perhaps its omission should come as no surprise.

Full article: http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/soccer-cheating-that-s-really-unsportsmanlike--fbintl_ro-cheating070310.html

Edited by J.A.W.
see forum rule 9

His punishment fits the crime since he won't be able to play next round.

But he wouldn't have been able to play the next round anyway since Uruguay would have been eliminated!!

So let's compare the two scenarios:

1) Suarez follows the rules and doesn't stop the ball with his hands. Uruguay is eliminated. No more matches for Suarez.

2) Suarez breaks the rules and stops the ball with his hands. Uruguay advances. Suarez can't play the semifinal in this scenario either, but he might play the final or the bronze match.

In every respect scenario 2 is better both for Suarez personally and for his team. So where is the punishment?

Agreed, anybody who believes that there should have been an auto-goal because of the intentional hand ball is misguided and misinformed. Suarez is a hero; he sacrificed himself for his team. His punishment fits the crime since he won't be able to play next round. Ghana didn't convert and that's their issue not Uruguay's. Uruguay won within the rules of the game.

Lou

It may have all been done by the book, but for me, as a fan of the game, he ain't no hero - he's not so much a cheat as a fucking sleazebag.

The reason?

Not the foul.

Not the red card.

The reason is his unbridled delight as Ghana missed the penalty. Geez, I hate that whatever-it-takes mentality. Shameless. I hope they get smashed. Actually, i hope they get beaten 1-0 by a dubious penalty.

The punishment fits the crime: Ghana fails to progress, he misses a match. Yeah right ...

I'm all for utter caution when it comes to rule changes, but the gamesmanship seen at this WC makes me cringe.

Edited by kenny weir

It's official, FIFA won't extend the one match ban on Suarez. Spain has to be faster on the counter to stand a chance against Germany. The other side of the draw is weak. Dutch are not as strong on defense. Germany's cup to lose.

Lou

Lou

It may have all been done by the book, but for me, as a fan of the game, he ain't no hero - he's not so much a cheat as a fucking sleazebag.

The reason?

Not the foul.

Not the red card.

The reason is his unbridled delight as Ghana missed the penalty. Geez, I hate that whatever-it-takes mentality. Shameless. I hope they get smashed. Actually, i hope they get beaten 1-0 by a dubious penalty.

The punishment fits the crime: Ghana fails to progress, he misses a match. Yeah right ...

I'm all for utter caution when it comes to rule changes, but the gamesmanship seen at this WC makes me cringe.

Exactly Ghana missed the PK. Thanks for proving my point for me.

Lou

Soccer cheating that’s really unsportsmanlike

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

JOHANNESBURG – The rules of soccer are jammed together in a long document provided by the sport’s governing body, FIFA. And nowhere, not once in 140 pages, is the word “cheating” mentioned.

Given the stubborn refusal by the men in charge to admit that cheating is either a serious problem, or needs fixing, perhaps its omission should come as no surprise.

Full article: http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/soccer-cheating-that-s-really-unsportsmanlike--fbintl_ro-cheating070310.html

Nothing like having a writer blow his whole argument with one clause:

"While Suarez’s action was both instinctive and understandable..."

This is the World Cup folks; happens only once every four years. Every player on the pitch would do the same thing to save their country. End result is he did save his country and Ghana failed to convert their chances. That is acknowledged by most of soccer fandom, whether it's right or wrong. And flopping and diving is gamesmanship in soccer. American fans have trouble understanding that part of the game. Soccer is not an objective game. It is subjective and us true soccer fans like it that way. It's part of the tradition.

Lou

This Spain game is nutty!

Yeah, it's another dreadful game...

As I've said earlier, this World Cup has seen very few exciting or even good games so far. Ugh.

For me 1994 was my favorite second to 1990. I loved Cameroon in 1990 and Salvatore Schillaci. This year has it's dramatic moments, but the strongest teams are out--Brazil and Argentina. I don't have a rooting interest in this year's finals. 2006 was pretty ho hum. 2002 was boring for me and 1998 was great to see Beckham get a red card to oust England out of the tournament against Argentina.

Lou

Edited by theteach

... And flopping and diving is gamesmanship in soccer. American fans have trouble understanding that part of the game. Soccer is not an objective game. It is subjective and us true soccer fans like it that way. It's part of the tradition.

Lou

I think Americans 'get' the whole flopping and diving routine, they just for the most part don't dig it.

I agree that it's part of the tradition of soccer though. Draw your own conclusions.

That's how I see it, no matter if it's by the rules or if others call me "misguided and misinformed".

It's official, FIFA won't extend the one match ban on Suarez. Spain has to be faster on the counter to stand a chance against Germany. The other side of the draw is weak. Dutch are not as strong on defense. Germany's cup to lose.

Lou

Lou

The reason?

Not the foul.

Not the red card.

Exactly Ghana missed the PK. Thanks for proving my point for me.

Lou

Prove your point? Whatever ...

I've just heard a commentator call it "morally reprehensible".

I agree.

The argument that every other player/team would have done the same thing? Arguable. But even if it's true, doesn't make it right.

To reiterate: My beef is not with the handball, red card, or penalty, but with the unseemly joy consequently displayed by the player.

A player, BTW, who will play in the final should his team make it.

This is the World Cup folks; happens only once every four years. Every player on the pitch would do the same thing to save their country. End result is he did save his country and Ghana failed to convert their chances. That is acknowledged by most of soccer fandom, whether it's right or wrong. And flopping and diving is gamesmanship in soccer. American fans have trouble understanding that part of the game. Soccer is not an objective game. It is subjective and us true soccer fans like it that way. It's part of the tradition.

"Us true soccer fans"?

So ... I'm not a true soccer fan? Who gets to decide that? Based on what criteria? (BTW, I am an active supporter of Melbourne Victory).

"Acknowledged by most of soccer fandom"?

That's just guesswork. My guess is most hardcore fans will be shaking shrugging in resigned acceptance of this incident, the gamesmanshp/cheating and the Thiery Henry shame. But many would be like me - feeling distinctly queasy and disturbed.

Please don't paint yourself as the one true fan on this thread.

Edited by kenny weir

us true soccer fans are either first generation or native.

What a crock!

And btw, I'm a Kiwi living in Australia.

It's confusing. Who, in your estimation, qualifies to be a true fan? Only those with Latino or European blood in their veins? Please explain ...

Hm.

Who, in your esteemed estimation, is qualified to offer an opinion on piss poor ref'ing and rampant player cheating?

People with eyes?