Albums from Keefe Jackson and Jeb Bishop

Larry Kart

Trombonist Bishop's "2009" (Better Animal Recordings) is the first from him as a leader in ten years -- its predecessor was "Afternoons" (Okkadisk). Fine as Bishop has always been -- with his burry tone and penchant for mutes, he might be described as a somewhat "out" cross between Bill Harris and Tricky Sam Nanton -- he's been getting better and better IMO, thinking more melodically than in terms of "effects" (the latter must be a great temptation for him), and this record is SO damn good. One lovely, wry, gnarly piece after another, and the logic of his melodic thinking just sweeps me away. He's joined by bassist Jason Roebke and drummer Frank Rosaly. Also, the presence and clarity of the recording is exceptional.

Bishop, Roebke, and drummer Noritaka Tanaka join tenor saxophonist-bass clarinetist Jackson on his "Seeing You See" (Clean Feed). Almost certainly it's not a case of direct influence in the first case, but Jackson on tenor has always reminded me a bit of vintage Kalaparusha, also of Ornette on tenor -- at once guttily shaggy/lyrical and quite abstract and always spontaneous; no licks here. His swifter pieces often "jump," akin to the way some Ornette pieces do, but Jackson is himself. I've dug him from the first time I heard him, some nine years ago, and he keeps getting better/doesn't stay in the same place. Caught him last night with Bishop and Roebke, playing many of the pieces from the album, which was recorded in April 2008, and he was in a mostly unabstract "tough tenor" mood; at times it sounded like Griffin and Lockjaw were dueling inside his horn.

• 4 weeks later...

hello everyone,

Since Larry was kind enough to say nice things about me (and since I lifted his review here for promotional purposes), I thought I should let people know that the CD is now more easily available. See the page at my website for ordering information.

As of this writing physical copies are out of stock at CDBaby, but I expect that will be corrected within a few days.

thanks,

Jeb Bishop

Edited by Jeb Bishop

Welcome Jeb! Thanks for the update. I will be buying a copy of this album, thanks to Larry's heads up. I tell everyone who will listen about Frank Rosaly's drumming. Saw a bunch of you guys play when I was visiting Chicago however many years back at the Hungry Brain. Looking forward to hearing the new disc.

• 2 weeks later...