Tuli Kupferberg, RIP

Chalupa

when I was working on my rock and rill history I spent a lot of times listening to the Fugs - terrific band by any standard, not just an East Village gross-out group, which was their rep when I was growing up. One of the first and best true "roots" groups, with a knack for pulling together a lot of different approaches into one very sharp and focused music.

Edited by AllenLowe

His best recordings are extremely good indeed, such as "Nothing", one of my favorites.

In the early days of ebay, I purchased a multi-cassette set of Harvard student radio station shows on the Fugs. It turned out that the seller was Tuli Kupferberg. He was efficient and friendly in the transaction, a model ebay seller. I left him high praise in my ebay feedback as a highly recommended ebay participant.

One of my earliest independent / what the hell, I now have some disposable income of my own / what's that all about music purchases was a cut-out cassette of The Fugs' GOLDEN FILTH (for DFW long-timers, this was at the old Sound Warehouse on Lemmon.) I was in 7th grade. Not their best work, and much of the drug and hippie culture references escaped me... but it was just silly and horny enough to congratulate whatever sensibilities I had developed by then.

Thanks, Tuli.