Tour de France 2010

Ultimately, I don't think the Ovtcharov decision will help Contador and his case will have to stand on its own merit. Though the claim of meat contamination is the same, the situations are too disparate.

Everything I've seen states that it is far more likely to eat clenbuterol contaminated meat in China than in Europe. Others in Ovtcharov's group also tested postive. Testing of a hair sample showed no long term exposure.

Certain elements of Contador's situation just don't make sense to me. For example - is the beef so horrible in France that you have to have someone bring beef from Spain over the border to eat on your rest day? Why the source of the beef (butcher shop) has not been named so that an investigation can be conducted into the suppliers of that butcher shop? The fact that clenbuterol has been outlawed in Europe since 1996 and testing of meat has shown only 1 positive in over 80,000 samples with none from Spain showing clenbuterol. Why don't they just test Contador's hair? Plus there's the stigma of the (unvalidated) test for plasticisers that found possible blood doping to evercome.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think now that for athletics and endurance sports we should take it for granted that the winner will eventually be disqualified and just assume that whoever came second is the one who will actually go in the record books as the winner.

...who is also doped, and on down the line. I still maintain that this witch hunting is silly and a waste of time. I'm more irritated at Contador for not holding up when Schleck dropped his chain than I am for his clen-sing.

Another one bite the dust...and risk his life.

What a prick.

Cyclist Riccardo Ricco will be investigated by Italy's anti-doping body over reports he performed a blood transfusion on himself.

BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/9391538.stm

I agree that is pretty frightening.

I once met a body builder, who really opened my eyes about steroid abuse. What was interesting was that he knew of men who "could barely read and write", but had incredible knowledge of the endocrine system, through their use of steroids.

He also felt that no amount of stories of aggression, penis shrinkage, organ damage etc would put off young men getting into steroids. He said the only thing which might deter them was the risk of going bald.

What I found totally crazy and absurd, among non professional athlets, is that in my view physical exercize goes along with health. I can't believe one taking harmful drugs for performance, I mean the real satisfaction is that I can do something, a marathon, a good time, even lifting 100 kgs on the bench, with myself, hard work and practice.