Basie Reunion

Tom 1960

e33721z86nt.jpg

I just had the opportunity to sample the tracks from the album and it sounds quite good. A 1958 date which features Paul Quinichette, Shad Collins, Buck Clayton, Jack Washington, Nat Pierce, Freddie Green, Eddie Jones and Jo Jones. Anyone here own this already and willing to offer up a few thoughts?

The companion date to "Basie Reunion," "For Basie" (with just the rhythm section, Quinichette and Shad Collins) was significantly more successful IIRC, so I'd suggest you get "Basie Reunion" in this form, which combines the two:

http://www.amazon.com/Basie-Reunion-Paul-Stars-Quinichette/dp/B0018BF31G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279760234&sr=1-3

Again IIRC, Jack Washington was not in great shape at the time "Basie Reunion" was made, and that seems to let some of the air out of the balloon. Further, and I should have said this first, "For Basie" has Walter Page on bass, and that makes a world of difference.

• 3 months later...

Items Ordered

1 of: For Basie [Audio CD]

By: Paul Quinichette

Condition: New

Sold by: newbury_comics (seller profile)

$5.99

1 of: Basie Reunion [Audio CD]

By: Paul Quinichette

Condition: New

Sold by: newbury_comics (seller profile)

$2.99

Item(s) Subtotal: $8.98

Shipping & Handling: $5.96 -----

Total Before Tax: $14.94 Estimated

Tax To Be Collected: $0.00 -----

Grand Total: $14.94

Edited by JSngry

• 3 months later...

Being the vinyl nut that I am, last week I was exceedingly pleased to find the (to me, anyway) definitve format of affordable reissues of this in a local record store (can't recall having ever seen facsimile VINYL reissues of the original LPs in a very, very long time):

The early 80s reissue "Basie Reunions" in the Prestige 2-LP series (P-24109).

Listening to both sets really was an experience, and one of the rare occasisons where I wondered how I had managed so long without this (thanks therefore for earlier entries in this thread that reminded me of this item!). Cannot say that I find that rusted-up Jack Washington drags down the results THAT much, and the spirit of Pres being so pervasive is little wonder IMHO, given the influence that Pres exerted on modern 50s mainstream jazz musicians and given that the session was credited to Paul Quinichette as the nominal leader.