Hey, I am a dumbass ...

Eric

I remember in grade school some class project were we all made our very own needle/horns....who knows how many records we sent to an early grave? At least they were records the school had, not ones we brought from home! "Dad, this Fats Waller record doesn't sound so good anymore! Let me clean it with some rubbing alcohol"

Edited by BERIGAN

I'll gladly join this crowd of dumb people. I belong here.

Like the time I finally found a clean secondhand copy of George Russell's Stratosphunk. I had searched for that Riverside album for a long time.

Before giving it a first spin, I took a close look at the vinyl. There was a bit of dust in the middle of the opening track. Decided to clean it. Clumsy me! The record slipped out of my hands and went crashing on the corner of a small table that should not have been there..

The disc did not break but there was a rectangular hole in the middle of the vinyl. I had to wait until the album was reissued as an OJC LP to enjoy it.

Oh and when it comes to breaking 78s... there is a 78 shop well known in Edinburgh that opens for about a day and a half per week (or did when I used to live there). The stock floweth over and is in huge piles on the floor. And in fact all over the floor. So you have to be careful where you put your feet. Because if you don't. You might suddenly hear. A loud. And unmistakable. SNAP. Amplified by the smallness of the room. And as the owner politely pretends not to notice, you look down at your feet to see what you broke (FYI It was the Ying Tong Song by the Goons). After that you pick up anything, pay for it, and scurry home.

Ohhhhhh, that brings back a VERY bad memory. Back in my pizza delivering days, my assistant manager had a big box of 78s that she loaned to me for a couple of days. One of the 78s was Ellington’s “Perdido,” which I got to listen to on my parents’ record player. I lost track of time and realized I was running late. I grabbed the Ellington record off the turntable and ran it over to the box. I SWEAR: the record was maybe one or two inches above the other record when I plopped it into the box. The next four seconds seemed to last a lifetime as I watched the record land and shatter into about 800 pieces. I called in late to work so I could stop crying.

The assistant manager was very forgiving. However, I was never allowed to even LOOK at her record collection ever again. -_- ^_^