Curtis Amy

Durium

Did no one watch the whole video? The last vocal chorus demonstrates conclusively that Morrison was singing live. And I like the whole performance, the strings definitely work, and I like the visual of the white guys in suits with the lone black guy in mod garb blowing the sax solo, visually and musically distinct from the background band.

I noticed that. But I did wonder if Densmore was drum-synching.

Did no one watch the whole video? The last vocal chorus demonstrates conclusively that Morrison was singing live. And I like the whole performance, the strings definitely work, and I like the visual of the white guys in suits with the lone black guy in mod garb blowing the sax solo, visually and musically distinct from the background band.

I noticed that. But I did wonder if Densmore was drum-synching.

I think the Smothers Bros. Show is a case where the vocals are live, the rest recorded pre-show. That method was used for one or two other shows from that era (I recall a Stones appearance in the late '60s somewhere else where Mick's vocals are live, the rest not.)

I thought this thread was about Curtis Amy.

Cliff,

As you know, threads tend to unravel in these parts. Free range posting. Personally, I think this results in more wide ranging (and interesting) discussions.

One other on point comment. For anyone who has heard Amy's Mosaic Select, he's a long ways from forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

Curtis Amy's widow is the great singer Merry Clayton who appeared on several of the most celebrated albums of the past decades. She is the singer who duets with Mick Jagger on the Rolling Stones 'Gimme Shelter'.

And Curtis played a solo on one of the Stones' LPs in the late sixties - was it the one with the irthday cake on the cover?

He also played the soprano solo on Carole KIng's "It's too late" if I recall it right.

MG

And Curtis played a solo on one of the Stones' LPs in the late sixties - was it the one with the irthday cake on the cover?

Amy's wife Merry Clayton sang on "Gimme Shelter," the lead track from Let It Bleed (w/ the birthday cake cover). But I don't think he appeared played on it.

Amy plays a fabulous tenor solo on Onzy Matthews' recording of Satin Doll, making it the only palatable version other than the original version by Duke. (Surely that tune is the least-good Strayhorn composition, further marred by weak lyrics for the vocal versions). Amy's lovely soprano is featured on I Should Care.

Both were originally on "Blues With A Touch of Elegance" (Capitol), available now on Mosaic Select MS-029.