Mulgrew Miller, Artist in Residence, Detroit Jazz Fest

Good piece, Mark, on an artistic non-entity, tho' yeah, it's nice to have respectable journeymen etc and he's hardly as offensive as, say, Marcus Roberts (if not ever as interesting as, say, Harold Mabern). Still hard to imagine anyone taking an active interest Miller unless you need to impress a Japanese tourist in hope of unusual sex afterwards.

is that how you talk to your "Moms"?

in any case, right, right-- & maybe by the time Miller is seventy he'll have improved enough to make a record even marginally more ambitious than technically "competent" dead horse reinvention for fatso jazz hat nostalgics.

greater in all ways than all Mulgrew Miller solos and ensembles combined, ever --->

Mayagora ---> Gottschalk

furthermore --->

John Davis ---> Blind Tom

i'll son you about Oscar Dennard next time tho' if you really know your pre-Nixon Hamp that won't be necessary... just like Mulgrew Miller.

respectfully, CJ, "very good" isn't close to good enough.

Let me guess, however: most Mulgrew Miller fans really like, say, Joe Lovano too?

The rest of us ask A LOT more of music, and happily, music does have much more to offer, for example--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MExljPsMEbA

If I was hosting a high-class cocktail party and the ghost of Oscar Peterson was still too bulky-- or I was afraid he'd eat all the hot dogs-- I might call Mulgrew Miller.

And yet! >>>>> Oscar and Mulgrew's careers COMBINED--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoP2PJFi2iY

Your welcome,

Moms

Edited by MomsMobley