Massive Springsteen "Darkness" Reissue

Eric

this is crazy ... unlike the wildly overpriced Stones Exile "deluxe edition", this thing looks amazing

1. Original album remastered

2. A whole new *four* record set called "The Promise" - all unreleased from the Darkness era

3. DVD #1 - The making of Darkness

4. DVD #2 - 2009 live re-recording of Darkness (no audience) + 12 live tracks, some off the original Darkness, some off Promise

5. DVD #3 - 1978 "bootleg house cut" show from Houston

Oh yeah, plus an 80-page book. Plus a poster. Plus a t-shirt

$115 - I am a buyer

a T-shirt?? why? what's in the book, all pictures, as usual? and no vintage live material from '78??

Read the above again. DVD of Houston '78, far enough along in the tour where they have it down too! Also on DVD:

THRILL HILL VAULT (1976-1978)

1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ 76)

2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ 76)

3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ 76)

4. Don’t Look Back (NYC 78)

5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC 78)

6. The Promise (NYC 78)

7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC 78)

8. Badlands (Phoenix 78)

9. The Promised Land (Phoenix 78)

10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix 78)

11. Born To Run (Phoenix 78)

12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix 78)

Plus 2 CDs of songs not released. For once a "deluxe" set that more than lives up the name.

Press release w/ all the details here.

looks good for rabid fans. the best live period in his career.

sure wished he'd just release that Agora Ballroom set. missed the ticket lottery but we were all glued to that radio.

"round for round and pound for pound there ain't no finer band around"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3REz6vufmI

I prefer the Who's version of "Summertime Blues" a lot more. I never really "got" Bruce, he always seemed a little over wrought, over earnest, over the top... but maybe that's what people like about him.

a T-shirt?? why? what's in the book, all pictures, as usual? and no vintage live material from '78??

Read the above again. DVD of Houston '78, far enough along in the tour where they have it down too! Also on DVD:

THRILL HILL VAULT (1976-1978)

1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ 76)

2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ 76)

3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ 76)

4. Don’t Look Back (NYC 78)

5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC 78)

6. The Promise (NYC 78)

7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC 78)

8. Badlands (Phoenix 78)

9. The Promised Land (Phoenix 78)

10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix 78)

11. Born To Run (Phoenix 78)

12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix 78)

Plus 2 CDs of songs not released. For once a "deluxe" set that more than lives up the name.

Press release w/ all the details here.

I read it...it's a DVD! Who wants to watch these guys??

ain't so much about the "version" here. that concert was in the dead days of August - tin cans exploding out in the 90 degree heat - and the Agora venue was an oven in January. It was the perfect intro to a legendary show.

at least he didn't swing his microphone around by the cord - all the fucking time! ;)

I see, so it was one of those "you had to be there" type of moments, which, IMHO, you kinda have to be there for to really get, otherwise it's just another live concert.

I think maybe my issue with Springsteen is because the first time I became aware of him was around the "Born in the USA" era, when he went truly global. Also I remember reading something indirectly about Springsteen that always stuck with me, I think it was Joe perry of Aerosmith in an interview about the "music business", he said one of the first big lessons he learned about how hard/unfair it is, was that Aerosmith and Springsteen were both signed to Columbia around the same time but for every $1 they were putting into Aerosmith they were putting like $100 into Springsteen. Maybe he was different in the early days but I've never been able to get past his vainity and the limitations of his music.

I read it...it's a DVD! Who wants to watch these guys??

Maybe some who wanted to see them on that tour but were just a couple of years too young to go. With a DVD you have a choice to watch or not, and there's no moving multiple discs about as many Bruce shows take 3 CDs to get through. Plus the Houston show doesn't circulate as easily as a lot of the other soundboards from this tour. It's also simple enough to make CDRs of the audio too (or get it on an iPod), although like the previous DVD from the Born To Run package there's a good chance an audio only release will happen in the future. The price may not be optimal, but it's rare for a label to get the contents right on something like this.

Edited by Quincy

but then who in the world cares about Aerosmith... :w

sounds interesting... though I guess a somewhat more modest issue (along the lines of the "Born to Run" longbox) might have suited me a bit better... (I love that concert included there so much that the 2CD set is on its way to me now, it's dirt cheap at amazon.fr, part of their 4CDs for 20€ offer, along with many great discs).

but then who in the world cares about Aerosmith... :w

Aerosmith fans might, but you kinda missed the point of the post.:w :w :w

Yeah but at least an awesome :rolleyes: band like Aerosmith has their own "Rock 'n Roller Coaster" ride at Disneyland, Disney World, Disney etc...

So why bother with philanthropy and food banks and calling 9/11 widows and ... when one's so vain. Or did I miss the point as well?

So why bother with philanthropy and food banks and calling 9/11 widows and ... when one's so vain. Or did I miss the point as well?

I don't think being extremely vain prevents you from doing the odd bit of charity work, I mean look at Bono, well maybe don't look at him, that's what he wants you to do.

I would also add, that in the whole becoming a cliche and a shadow of their former selves race, Bruce and Aerosmith would be pretty much neck and neck.

• 2 weeks later...

The Darkness and Tunnel of Love were the best of the 6-8 tours I got to see. I no longer consider myself a fan (inured to stage antics), but that was good live music.

agreed. From the best story teller in Rock n Roll to the flannels and bandanas.

last set for me was Born in the USA at the hallowed grounds of Cleveland Muni. I cherish all the memories of the '78 tour - five times (I think) at $7.50 a pop, figure I paid the guy two bucks an hour. I think he jacked it up to a ten for the River tour.