TMG is back!!!

Hot Ptah

Well, I've got the single click thing going. When I'm in Windows explorer, it highlights each item in a folder, and selects it if I hover over it - good. And even better, I can fire it up just by hitting enter, so no clicks at all. Same goes for icons on my desktop. But not when I have a window open (I have all my windows, including browser windows, small enough to click on programmes or whatever on my desktop without minimising the window). I still have to do one click to tell the machine that, for a moment, I'm interested in the desktop, not the window I'm looking at. Obvious really.

But I can't get this to happen at all on the internet. Links here don't get selected when I hover over them. Am I missing some option here? I've got my internet options set to highlight links when I hover over them, but it's not happening here or in my mailbox. Any advice on this folks? Is this something that Firefox would do for me?

MG

We once built a meccano and electric motor thing at work for qualification/endurance testing commercial computer keyboards for ruggedised applications (ie. proving it could withstand something like 1 million keypushes without falling apart). Sounds like it might come in useful !

Edited by sidewinder

We once built a meccano and electric motor thing at work for qualification/endurance testing commercial computer keyboards for ruggedised applications (ie. proving it could withstand something like 1 million keypushes without falling apart). Sounds like it might come in useful !

Oh, I must change my avatar! :D

MG

No immediate ideas here, but you might want to go back into Control Panel and look at your mouse settings to see what's available.

But it doesn't work in my mailbox either. Remember, however, that once anything is highlighted in your mailbox, you can use the arrow keys to navigate instead of mouse-clicking.

No immediate ideas here, but you might want to go back into Control Panel and look at your mouse settings to see what's available.

But it doesn't work in my mailbox either. Remember, however, that once anything is highlighted in your mailbox, you can use the arrow keys to navigate instead of mouse-clicking.

I don't use Outlook for mail - just log onto my Hotmail account direct off the internet. I use arrow keys for navigation in Explorer, though.

MG

Try clicking in a "neutral" area of the Hotmail page and see if then you can get the hover/highlight thing to work. It's still a click, but once you get that first one going, the arrow eys should be good to go afterward.

I'm sure there's a keyboard combination for that, I'm told that in theory you can run Windows totally off of a keyboard, but some of them are so bizarre, it's like...why bother? I don't mind clicking, but I do try to keep it to a reasonable (for me) minimum. Over the course of a day, it really does make a difference.

How do musicians handle repetitive strain injury? Both prevention and cure. I should think it's a dreadful problem for them.

MG

Perhaps for Kenny G, though the question posed was about musicians. Lester Young advised not to be a repeater pencil.

Are you really say ing that, if you're a creative musician, playing all sorts of different things all over your instrument, RSI isn't a problem? Or is it a joke.

(I think it's a joke.)

MG

How do musicians handle repetitive strain injury? Both prevention and cure. I should think it's a dreadful problem for them.

A 62-year-old bassist I play with sometimes ices his hands after every gig. Good technique helps. I've never had a problem with the saxophone, but about about two years ago I injured a hand while hiking - not a RSI. It rendered me unable to play piano for more than about half an hour without real pain. I just stopped taking piano gigs, of which I used to play a fair amount.

Now I'm 98% recovered (it took a year and a half), but I'm so out of practice on piano that I can't stand the way I sound, so I still don't take piano gigs. I was never more than an adequate pianist, anyway, but it took a little getting used to realizing I'm not really a piano player at all any more.

I'm not sure why my injury didn't affect my saxophoning, but I'm grateful. That would have been rough.

MG

Perhaps for Kenny G, though the question posed was about musicians. Lester Young advised not to be a repeater pencil.

Are you really say ing that, if you're a creative musician, playing all sorts of different things all over your instrument, RSI isn't a problem? Or is it a joke.

(I think it's a joke.)

MG

A bit of "joke", but I found that, as a player, I didn't do all that much of the same thing, over and over again. Playing saxophone, there are different horns, and your fingers (individually) are called upon to do different things (e.g., manipulate different keys in different ways). It's easy to change relative horn/player position, and merely sitting versus standing versus marching versus bar walking gives dynamics to the kinesiology.

Piano I played less, but I found myself more restless in doing so. In that sense, I suppose my body may have been alerting me to a hazard.

The repetitive stress injuries I've had (minor ones) have come about when one or more "key" positions is fixed. Bicycling, for instance.

I'd be interested in (other) musician's thoughts/opinons. (I don't think of myself as a musician.)

Edited by BeBop

Most of the issues I hear about are bassists & pianists, mostly bassists. With wind players is usually something jaw/throat related.

Inevitably the cause is "forcing" of one kind or another, be it through posture or positioning that causes undue muscle stress, or trying to blow too much air through too small an opening w/o compensating somehow (this took Michale Brecker off the scene for a little bit).

How to stop it? Don't do it! Or else pay attention when something starts feeling funny. "Playing with pain" is one thing, disregarding ongoing warning signs is something else altogether.