TMG is back!!!

Hot Ptah

Glad to be back! It's been dreadfully boring. I gave myself an RSI and the whole of my right forearm hurt, from my elbow to the back of my hand. But I mowed the lawn yesterday and am not paying for it today, so I reckon I'm pretty nearly better. As you get older, stuff like this takes forever to heal. Gotta remember to go easy on the mouse buttons.

MG

Glad to be back! It's been dreadfully boring. I gave myself an RSI and the whole of my right forearm hurt, from my elbow to the back of my hand. But I mowed the lawn yesterday and am not paying for it today, so I reckon I'm pretty nearly better. As you get older, stuff like this takes forever to heal. Gotta remember to go easy on the mouse buttons.

MG

Tho' right-handed, I've shifted the mouse to my left hand for that very reason. Is there something inherently RSI-producing in the layout of our forum? (Involves a lot of shooting up and down pages.)

Gotta remember to go easy on the mouse buttons.

So you have your mouse set for single-click functionality? If not, you should.

I mean, seriously - 50% fewer clicks during the course of a day is 50% less wear on both you and your mouse. The latter is no big deal, but the former kinda is...

I mean, seriously - 50% fewer clicks during the course of a day is 50% less wear on both you and your mouse. The latter is no big deal, but the former kinda is...

Sorry Jim, I don't understand that - but it sounds very helpful.

MG

MG

As far as I'm concerned, the mouse wheel seems to be the main source of index finger stress.

As far as I'm concerned, the mouse wheel seems to be the main source of index finger stress.

I use the middle finger for the wheel.

Having said that, I've been a one finger typist since I got a cheap typewriter for my birthday in 1966! Sure I'm storing up future hell.

I use the middle finger for the wheel.

Having said that, I've been a one finger typist since I got a cheap typewriter for my birthday in 1966! Sure I'm storing up future hell.

Here's the culprit!

mouse-wheel.jpg

MG

Go into control Panel, then Folder Options. There you select the single click option.

What that does is that now when you have a list from which to select, simply hovering your mouse over the item will select it, & then you'll only have to click once to open it. You'll never have to double-click again. Believe me, it makes a difference,

Also, if you cut/copy & paste a lot, it's probably criticial to learn the keyboard coomand for these functions so you're not just riding the mouse all damn day, 24-7...

Cut = Ctrl-X

Copy = Ctrl-C

Paste = Ctrl-V

For that matter, Find = Ctrl-F

These are some commands that many of us use more times per day that we realize, and using the keyboard commands balances the workload out between hands/wrists/fingers and removes the relentless clicking that a lot of people seem to accept as necessary. It's anything but. Those four commands all use keys that are bunched in a group on the keyboard, and on the first three it's really low-stress to toggle functions between hands, using the mouse only to select what is to be cut, copied or pasted. Plus, if its files or list-items you're moving, once you're set up to single-click, you don't even have to click them to select it/them. you simply hover/drag you mouse over them (if they're sequential) while holding down the Shift key.

From what I can see, most of us do far more mouse-clicking that is necessary...

Edited by JSngry

And the most useful of them all!

Undo = Ctrl+Z

:cool:

Oh HELL yeah!

Also a good one to ease mouse dependency is Ctrl-Enter to send an email from Outlook. Once you get that one down, it's just a continuation of typing the message, no break to go reach for the damn mouse...