Conrad Herwig - The Latin Side of Herbie Hancock

GA Russell

Trombonist Conrad Herwig has released albums of latinized arrangements of the compositions of John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter. Now he has a new album called The Latin Side of Herbie Hancock.

The album was recorded in concert at the Blue Note in August of 2008. The band includes Eddie Palmieri and Randy Brecker.

I'm not the biggest fan of latin music, and it took me a few listens before I became accustomed to the disc. Now I have grown to like it a lot, as something different in my collection.

Some of the songs, such as Maiden Voyage, Cantaloupe Island and Watermelon Man, lend themselves quite easily to the latin treatment. Others, such as The Sorcerer, are a bit of a stretch.

Herwig's last album, the Wayne Shorter, got some good airplay on Sirius, and I expect that this will as well.

• 1 month later...

Can I take it there is not Latin side of Mr Herwig? Why draw in another musician's name/reputation?

Oh yeah, I forgot - nobody would notice.

Well, yes -- but the basic idea is to recast pieces of some familiarity and merit in a different mode, and see if it works. The only one I know is his "Que Vive Coltrane," and it works there.

On the other hand, Don Byron's "The Klezmer Side of Don Redman" was not a good idea.