Mystery Photo - Dameron on Trombone?

I was wondering about this interesting photo from the October 22 1949 Baltimore Afro-American: Do I read this right that it says the second guy on the left is Tadd Dameron? Is it really him? What's he doing with the trombone, i.e., is it known that we was also a trombone player? (others on the picture it says are Jimmy Mundy, Gene Ammons (so the later Richard-Carpenter-Crew is together), and Pearl Bailey...)

Edited by Niko

Wow, I had no idea she was even still around (wouldn't have occurred to me to check though). Sure would be a treat to read an interview with her!

Same here. People like her need to be interviewed at length so their recollections, background knowledge, etc. can be recorded for posterity.

After all, what's that (African) saying again?

"An elder who dies is like a library that burns down."

I don't think Ted is Tadd, but Tadd may be playing Ted, as well as trombone—well, perhaps not quite as well.

Perhaps a case of too many arrangers and no piano. Didn't know that the BAA was to be found online—thanks, Niko.

I looked beyond the photo and found this interesting item...

22.jpg

As well as a Philip Morris nose job...

22BAMPhilipMorrisas.jpg

• 1 year later...