Past Perfect label?

chris

While looking through the Daedalus Books music selection I see they have a ton of CDs by the "Past Perfect" label at cutout prices. What's the story with this label? It all looks like repackaging...

Did find Hutcherson's Un Poco Loco there, which is cool.

Mike, I asked the question above because I have the impression that there are at least two "Past Perfect" record labels.

Zweitausendeins is selling 10CD boxes of vintage (public domain) classical and jazz recordings from a label with the same name. There is no trace of these boxes on the pastperfect.com website.

Yes, I think there are two "Past Perfect" labels indeed. The one chris ask about I never heard of, but I do know the one Mike mentions. I did pick up some of their releases, and they were discussed here (and/or on AAJ - probably lost there) some months ago.

Mike, they did license the Candid stuff. I got their releases of the Russell/Hawk, the Don Ellis, the Clark Terry album, and saw that they had some more, like the Benny Bailey (which I have on Candid).

On the public domain discs, it's stated printed & copyright by Past Perfect TIM Company or something, while on the Candid reissues it says something like printed by TIM/Past Perfect, licensed from Candid Records UK. I don't think they would print that on the back of their CDs if it was not true.

ubu

There must be two labels of the same name.

The one that caught my eye was Monk's Music -- but I see now that this isn't the Riverside "Monk's Music" but some compilation. However, it doesn't appear on the Past Perfect web site at all.

They have another Monk album called Nutty

which also doesn't appear on that web site.

Unfortunately, no track listings or discographical information are provided-- but is Monk in the public domain even under European Law?

That disc you linked is the Past Perfect I spoke about. They've got two series, it seems, the one being black (no or almost no infos on musicians, dates etc.), the others being blue (and these, or at least those of these I picked up, do contain all the necessary information).

I have seen some of them today, and apparently they're up to 1954 (well, the new year IS close, but hey...).

ubu

If anyone's interested, BERKSHIRE RECORD OUTLET offers the following:

' Lionel Hampton'. (The vibraphonist performs 79 tracks incl. Chinatown, Dinah, It Don't Mean a Thing, Vibe Boogie, Midnight Sun, Body and Soul, Mood Indigo, How High the Moon, Satin Doll, Old Man River, When the Saints Go Marching In, Basin Street Blues. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220221 | BRO Code: 118835 | Label: PAST PERFECT

Genre: Jazz

' Dizzy Gillespie'. (The trumpeter performs 85 tracks incl. I Can't Get Started, Night in Tunisia, Blue Skies, All the Things You Are, Lullaby of Birdland, Stardust, Cherokee, On the Sunny Side of the Street, Embraceable You, Good Bait, 52nd Street Theme. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220185 | BRO Code: 118832 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Dinah Washington'. (The vocalist performs 82 tracks incl. The Man I Love, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, I've Got You Under My Skin, Come Rain of Come Shine, Mad About the Boy, Pacific Coast Blues, You Go to My Head, Our Love is Here to Stay. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220239 | BRO Code: 118830 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Coleman Hawkins'. (The saxophonist performs 100 tracks incl. Tiger Rag, Stardust, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Paper Moon, Ruby, Honeysuckle Rose, Someone to Watch Over Me, Sheik of Araby, My Blue Heaven. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220155 | BRO Code: 118824 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Charlie Parker'. (The saxophonist performs 81 tracks incl. Embraceable You, How Deep is the Ocean?, Melancholy Baby, Easy to Love, Summertime, Autumn in New York, Stella by Starlight, Tico-Tico, What is This Thing Called Love?, Begin the Beguine. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220101 | BRO Code: 118823 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Teddy Wilson'. (The pianist performs 106 tracks incl. Somebody Loves Me, Liza, When You're Smiling, Embraceable You, But Not For Me, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Stompin' at the Savoy, September Song, Tiger Rag. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220203 | BRO Code: 118801 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Lester Young'. (The saxophonist performs 92 tracks incl. Shoe Shine Boy, Countless Blues, Jumpin' at Mesner's, S.M. Blues, Tea for Two, In a Little Spanish Town, Stardust, One O'Clock Jump, 12th Street Rag. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220149 | BRO Code: 118800 | Label: PAST PERFECT

I have the 10 cd box they put on Basie (the liner notes, except for the discography, are worthless) but the sound is pretty good. The box indicates that it's distributed by TIM The International Music Company AG Rahlau 4-6 Hamburg, Germany. Telephone is 49(0) 40-66 99 160. Fax is same as phone number except the last 3 digits are 161, instead of 160. Their website is www.timcompany.com and email is info@timcompany.com

It seems there is nothing on their website - see post above.

Just re-listened to the Kenny Dorham CD Solid again - I'm gonna sell it, don't like the sound. It's clear, no hiss and all, but for these ears the OJC CD of the Debut LP sounds more natural. Besides that it has all Monk Blue Master takes with Dorham, and two each with Parker (Verve) and Rollins (Prestige).

If anyone's interested, BERKSHIRE RECORD OUTLET offers the following:

' Lionel Hampton'. (The vibraphonist performs 79 tracks incl. Chinatown, Dinah, It Don't Mean a Thing, Vibe Boogie, Midnight Sun, Body and Soul, Mood Indigo, How High the Moon, Satin Doll, Old Man River, When the Saints Go Marching In, Basin Street Blues. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220221 | BRO Code: 118835 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Dizzy Gillespie'. (The trumpeter performs 85 tracks incl. I Can't Get Started, Night in Tunisia, Blue Skies, All the Things You Are, Lullaby of Birdland, Stardust, Cherokee, On the Sunny Side of the Street, Embraceable You, Good Bait, 52nd Street Theme. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220185 | BRO Code: 118832 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Dinah Washington'. (The vocalist performs 82 tracks incl. The Man I Love, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, I've Got You Under My Skin, Come Rain of Come Shine, Mad About the Boy, Pacific Coast Blues, You Go to My Head, Our Love is Here to Stay. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220239 | BRO Code: 118830 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Coleman Hawkins'. (The saxophonist performs 100 tracks incl. Tiger Rag, Stardust, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Paper Moon, Ruby, Honeysuckle Rose, Someone to Watch Over Me, Sheik of Araby, My Blue Heaven. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220155 | BRO Code: 118824 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Charlie Parker'. (The saxophonist performs 81 tracks incl. Embraceable You, How Deep is the Ocean?, Melancholy Baby, Easy to Love, Summertime, Autumn in New York, Stella by Starlight, Tico-Tico, What is This Thing Called Love?, Begin the Beguine. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220101 | BRO Code: 118823 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Teddy Wilson'. (The pianist performs 106 tracks incl. Somebody Loves Me, Liza, When You're Smiling, Embraceable You, But Not For Me, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Stompin' at the Savoy, September Song, Tiger Rag. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220203 | BRO Code: 118801 | Label: PAST PERFECT

' Lester Young'. (The saxophonist performs 92 tracks incl. Shoe Shine Boy, Countless Blues, Jumpin' at Mesner's, S.M. Blues, Tea for Two, In a Little Spanish Town, Stardust, One O'Clock Jump, 12th Street Rag. Comes in cloth-bound box with 40 page booklet containing recording dates, locations and personnel)

Add to cart | Price: $ 9.95 | 5 in set. | Country: GERMANY | D/A code: M | Code: 220149 | BRO Code: 118800 | Label: PAST PERFECT

Does anyone know what these sets are? I can't seem to find anything online about these other than they seem to be some sort of Past Perfect "Hall of Fame" series. Anyone picked up one of these five disc sets and have an opinion? At $2 a disc it would seem hard to go wrong.

I bought the Hawkins, Parker and Young sets for my wife when she started learning saxophone. Nice seprate booklet with extensive bio. Discographical data only in the individual discs, making it a little cumbersome to find specific tracks. Sound quality is not as good as on the best remasterings available. As a representative overview, they seem okay to me, but for the serious collector, there are better (sounding) alternative issues.

p.s. I see you're asking about the 5 CD boxes - the ones I bought are 10 CDs with booklet, but also from T.I.M. Germany. Got them from one cat on ebay, never saw them in shops.

Edited by mikeweil