Joe Henderson Trio at the Village Vanguard

Durium

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three additional tracks from "Evening with ..." available on itunes and amazon ... and all seven songs fit on one CD :)

Perhaps the same three that are supposedly unique to this CD??

JOE HENDERSON "In 'n' around" CD 2005

Track list:

1. VISA (CHARLIE PARKER)

2. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE (JEROME KERN)

3. RUE CHAPTAL/ROYAL ROOST (TENOR MADNESS) (KENNY DORHAM-KENNY CLARKE)

Recorded live at “Villa Imperiale”, Genova (ITALY) on 9 july 1987

4. RECORDA ME (played by BOBBY WATSON solo)

5. THE KICKER (played by FABIO MORGERA group)

6. INNER URGE (played by JERRY BERGONZI quartet)

7. AFRO-CENTRIC (played by VICTOR LEWIS group)

8. OUT OF THE NIGHT (played by VITO DI MODUGNO/FABRIZIO BOSSO group)

9. MODE FOR JOE (played by SALVATORE TRANCHINI quintet with FRANCO AMBROSETTI and JERRY BERGONZI)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 years later...

Starting to read this discussion remined me that I have been digging this trio set from the 90ies quite a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmicYq2MlE8

now I just found another one and greatly enjoy this right this now, Both very enjoyble sets for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCKcPau5uw

Edited by uli

• 2 weeks later...

On 24 July EMI Japan will reissue the State Of The Tenor albums as two SHM CDs. The description on CD Japan specifically states the albums are remastered. Does anybody know if these albums were remastered before for the Japanese market? Or are these new remasters?

Link to Vol.1 (TOCJ-95017)

Link to Vol.2 (TOCJ-95018)

Looks like one of the Freddie Hubbard/Woody Shaw CDs is being issued at the same time:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TOCJ-95019

On 24 July EMI Japan will reissue the State Of The Tenor albums as two SHM CDs. The description on CD Japan specifically states the albums are remastered. Does anybody know if these albums were remastered before for the Japanese market? Or are these new remasters?

Looks like one of the Freddie Hubbard/Woody Shaw CDs is being issued at the same time:

A complete list of the 2013/07/24 releases in post #50 of thread.

Edited by erwbol

Well, I love State of the Tenor, and I was surprised that there wasn't a 25th anniversary reissue. The CDs sound good to me, but I don't remember the sound of the LPs to compare.

However, when I saw Joe, at the Glasgow Jazz Festival in the mid-90s with Bheki Mseleku, Mraz and Foster, it was quite underwhelming: pleasant and competent but no fire and very little sense of interaction.

Doc Wilko

Edited by docwilko

• 6 months later...

A complete list of the 2013/07/24 releases in post #50 of thread.

I went ahead and ordered Vol. 1. Stellar sound on the new Japanese State of the Tenor SHM-CD. The old CD sounds very muffled by comparison, especially Joe's Tenor. :)

People who weren't happy with the BNLT999 series and decided to ignore the new SHM Blue Notes, it's your loss.
Edit: The booklet states these were newly remastered June 10, 2013 by Yoshio Okazaki.
Edited by erwbol

Well, there's no bigger Joe Henderson fan than I am, but I remember being distinctly disappointed when the first volume of these recordings was released on LP, mostly because Al Foster was so deep in the mix there were times it sounded like a tenor-bass duet record; but also because the playing felt oddly inhibited at times.

I recall the second volume on LP being slightly better in terms of the sound and livelier performances, but I wouldn't swear to it at this point. While I don't own the double CD, I heard parts of it at one point and recall thinking that the sound was much improved. Can anyone confirm this? I have not heard this music in a long time, so perhaps it is time to revisit.

I always thought that "muffled" and "recorded at the Vanguard" kind of went hand-in-hand to a certain degree...it's not at all a "live" room.

The first quote from a couple of years ago suggests the recording might be flawed to a certain degree, although the first (and only) CD mastering was apparently an improvement over the vinyl.

This new 2013 remastering proves the recording was much better than might be concluded from the eighties releases of this material.

Both the music and the sound had me spellbound with a big grin on my face.

Edited by erwbol

I always thought that "muffled" and "recorded at the Vanguard" kind of went hand-in-hand to a certain degree...it's not at all a "live" room.

true, but the room didn't stop the bill evans sides from being presented clearly. or the sonny rollins masterpiece(s) for that matter. i'm not really sure why the prior domestic disc issue of these dates was so poor. initially i'd put it down to simply bad miking and not necessarily mastering. however, if erwbol can confirm that we now get clarity and a somewhat distinct soundstage, i might be able to rub two dubloons together...

Edited by etherbored

I'd say yes, there is now more clarity and a much more distinct soundstage. Take track three, Happy Reunion, for example. Al Foster plays his drums with brushes, I believe. On the old CD you can register the fact that Al is playing, but not much more. Here, you get actual detail to those sounds produced.

The SHM-CD is not simply brightened, in fact, it is not a bright sound. This is simply a case of a better transfer from the original tapes to digital, like the Out To Lunch SHM-CD. No boosted bass, not too loud either.

All three instruments benefit, individually and in the group sound. The music, however, also benefits. The Red Records date with Charlie Haden often has more fire to it. The Village Vanguard performance being more subdued/subtle benefits from a better sonic presentation.

(Disclaimer: I'm no audiophile.)

The SHM-CD is not simply brightened, in fact, it is not a bright sound. This is simply a case of a better transfer from the original tapes to digital, like the Out To Lunch SHM-CD. No boosted bass, not too loud either.

That sounds like a good deal, then. I was worried that they tried to make the Village Vanguard sound like the Village Gate, or some such. "Modern tastes" and all that. Glad to hear that's not what happened.

That sounds like a good deal, then. I was worried that they tried to make the Village Vanguard sound like the Village Gate, or some such. "Modern tastes" and all that. Glad to hear that's not what happened.

I'd be really interested to know if this was originally recorded on analogue equipment. If it was a relatively early digital recording I wonder about the limits to "improvements".

I'd be really interested to know if this was originally recorded on analogue equipment. If it was a relatively early digital recording I wonder about the limits to "improvements".

It does not have that early digital recording sound to it, like those eighties Deutsche Grammophon albums. There is a lot of warmth to the sound.

I'm looking at my LPs right now...Volume 1, I kept the original "bag" it came in, and it's got one of those DMM stickers on it talking about "Digitally Remastered"...but the original engineers (fwiw) were David Baker assisted by Jim Anderson, and no mention anywhere of digital recording, nor on Vol. 2. I'd think that they'd have been bragging about that then if it was. Back then, people were PROUD of how they made their shit sound so horrible!

Looking at that bag, I see that I paid $6.99 for this sucker, brand new, in April of 1986, at Sound Warehouse. That price, that chain, and Joe are all long gone now. But me and my LP are still here. Hard to say, objectively, who's getting the better end of that deal...

About pricing, these eighties and nineties Blue Notes that were the first to be released on SHM-CD last summer are a few Yen more expensive than the classic BN SHMs now being released to celebrate 75 years of Blue Note, ¥1,800 to Y1,575.

Still, CDJapan is currently offering 10% extra bonus points on these first SHMs, with every point being a Yen discount on a subsequent order. Open a new account and you get 300 bonus points free to be used immediately.

After the BNLT999 and BNLA999 series, the series of 80s and 90s SHMs is called somethin' in BLUE, since 1985 in 90s. The classic BN SHM series is called Blue Note, the masterworks. (According to be OBIs.)

Since we are talking about Joe Henderson, I only listened to this album ("Barcelona" on Enja)

recently, but I totally dug it. It's JH playing in almost free mode (and sometimes no-almost), especially on the long title track.

R-798294-1364076434-2631.jpeg

As far as "State of the Tenor" I finally corralled both volumes on LP (I think I only had Vo. 1 ), and again, I thought the performance was really interesting, lots of in-out playing, and the sound did not bother me at all.

• 2 weeks later...

It does not have that early digital recording sound to it, like those eighties Deutsche Grammophon albums. There is a lot of warmth to the sound.

It's a digital recording after all. On the cover of volume 1 Joe is wearing a white jacket. In small, faint white letters at the bottom right it says digital recording. The cover art for volume 2, which was also used for the US/EU double CD, makes no mention of this fact, hence the confusion.

Anyway, volume 2 sounds equally fine. This is not a question of simple manipulation for an increasingly deaf or bored audience with money to burn.

Edited by erwbol