SUE RANEY STAN KENTON BILL HOLMAN

JSngry

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, exactly. I hear ya.

It was kind of a serendipitous find, this one. I'd really like to find out who it was.

Steven D. Harris' book "The Kenton Kronicles" says that this clip comes from a TV program called "Sounds of the Sixties" from March 20, 1962; broadcast March 22, 1962. Personnel info. is sketchy , but the tenor soloists who recorded with Kenton in Dec. '61 were Sam Donahue and Buddy Arnold. It's defintely not Donahue, therefore I believe it to be Buddy Arnold. But I am still awaiting confirmation from Kenton personnel experts.

Edited by John Tapscott

Who is/was Buddy Arnold?

Could be Arnold, based on this later photo of him:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2964966853_9705076438_s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://askjot.com/search/Buddy-Arnold&usg=__gE0At7RO52S5dQl3dqjqBkTlB-U=&h=75&w=75&sz=4&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Sb9URIbQNliscM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=71&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbuddy%2Barnold%2Bsaxophone%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D898%26bih%3D832%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=559&vpy=560&dur=199&hovh=71&hovw=71&tx=72&ty=39&ei=I5_1TIOYHsuq8QOx6cjNBQ&oei=I5_1TIOYHsuq8QOx6cjNBQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

Also on the cover of his mid-1950s ABC- Paramount album "Wailin'" Arnold is using a white mouthpiece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Arnold

Arnold IIRC was out of Pres by way of Wardell Grey. He made a good many singles (jazz with R&B touches) for Prestige or New Jazz in the early 1950s that must have gotten a fair amount of juke box play, otherwise Bob Weinstock wouldn't have kept recording him. All that material was put out on CD about a decade ago, probably on OJC. I had a copy once upon a time but no more.

Arnold IIRC was out of Pres by way of Wardell Grey. He made a good many singles (jazz with R&B touches) for Prestige or New Jazz in the early 1950s that must have gotten a fair amount of juke box play, otherwise Bob Weinstock wouldn't have kept recording him. All that material was put out on CD about a decade ago, probably on OJC. I had a copy once upon a time but no more.

You must be thinking of Joe Holiday. :mellow:

You must be thinking of Joe Holiday. :mellow:

Right you are, damn it! :blush2:

But that means I may still have that Holiday CD. :)

Arnold can be heard on several tracks of the Fresh Sound Phil Sunkel CD, which combines Sunkel's two ABC-Paramount LPs -- "Phil Sunkel's Jazz Band" and "Jazz Concerto Grosso." "The "Phil Sunkel's Jazz Band" tracks are definitely worth a listen for Sunkel's sly, quirky writing; the "Jazz Concerto Grosso" not so much.

Arnold was out of Pres but with an Al Cohn, not Wardell, flavor. He sticks in my mind because of a funny (at least to me) incident that took place maybe thirty-five or forty years ago. I was visiting for the first and only time the suburban Chicago home of a record producer and was duly astonished by the size of his collection of vintage LPs. He asked if I wanted to see his most-prized recording, and I said sure, wondering what this gem might be. It was Arnold's ABC-Paramount album "Wailin'" -- which I think could only have been prized for its rarity, not for its musical value, though it was OK that way. With that I understood as never before what it meant to be a collector.

And I don't have that Joe Holiday CD any more.

:(

Oh, THIS guy!

wailingsmall.jpg

Interesting story:

Born Arnold Buddy Grishaver, this versatile reed player flipped parts of his name around and began working professionally in the early '40s with leaders such as Joe Marsala and George Auld. From 1944 through 1946 it was Army time, and he blew only for the red, white and blue. After his discharge, Arnold went to work for bandleader Herbie Fields, then joined the combo of hot-headed super-drummer Buddy Rich. Perhaps the latter bandleader's famed mistreatment of his sidemen prompted Arnold to look into other musical employment possibilities, as he began taking courses in music and economics at Columbia University beginning in the late '40s. He continued gigging with leader and composer George Williams and pianist Claude Thornhill before dropping out of music entirely for a year and a half. In 1951, Arnold began opening his saxophone cases again, going on tour with Buddy DeFranco's orchestra. After this came jobs with Jerry Wald, Tex Beneke, Elliot Lawrence, Stan Kenton and jazz-pop arranger and composer Neil Hefti. In 1956, Arnold finally got a chance to step into the limelight, putting out his first album as a leader for ABC-Paramount. Entitled Wailing, this effort was well received by jazz fans who liked Arnold's appetizing tone, echoing players such as Zoot Sims combined with inventive flavoring right out of the Sonny Rollins kitchen. Despite this promising debut and further recordings for the same label alongside Phil Sunkel, Arnold opted out of a high profile career in jazz. More acurrately he was opted out by the law. Like many jazzmen, Arnold struggled with drug addiction and in 1958 he was sent to prison for attempted burglary. He returned to society in 1960 and played in with Tommy Dorsey and toured with Stan Kenton. His drug troubles returned in the early '80s, resulting in a prison sentence that kept him out of circulation for most of the decade. Shortly after his release, Arnold founded the Musicians' Assistance Program, which offered help to musicians with drug problems. In the early '90s he showed up on an album by swing revival band Love Jones, providing a touch of authenticity that is quite rare on these sorts of recordings. After many ups and downs, Buddy Arnold passed away on November 9, 2003. He was 91. Biography by Eugene Chadbourne

The guy in that video looked and played like he had been thru some changes and was still going thru some. That solo cracks me up, how he tries to play a "nice" solo, makes it for 4 bars, that kinda chokes on the idea and just says FUCK IT, :g I mean, we've all been there, with or without the monkey...so go aHEAD bro, you're entitled!

Two more things - nice chart on that first tune, and Kenton looks and sounds pretty damn drunk. But Sue Rainey does a nice job, considering the tune. I guess those type of post-Porter list songs were quite the rage for a while. But she phrases nicely nevertheless.

it's hard to believe he was born in 1912, as this makes him about 15 years older than a lot of his musical contemporaries. I wonder if that date is correct.

Arnold's Wikipedia bio says he was born in 1926, if Arnold is who you meant.

P.S. Oh, I see; it was that "He was 91" typo at the end that you were referring to.

and Kenton looks and sounds pretty damn drunk.

The way he swings his hips as he counts off the tune is pretty scary.

by the way, just to show that I'm not completely crazy (we'll take votes later on possible percentages) it turns out that, according to saxophone historian Paul Cohen in an article in Saxophone Journal, someone in the 1920s was workng on a "reverse-hand" saxophone.

Could Arnold be playing a proto-type?