Gigi Gryce

I have been trying all over the net to find two CD's with Gigi Gryce "Saying Something" and "The Hap'nin's" for a secent price, but in vain, those I have found cost a bundle, are they really that rare, both were on the New Jazz Label (Prestige). I have a order in for them right now, but I doubt very much that it can be fulfilled. Can anyone here on the board help me ?

Vic

Daedalus books has been getting a lot of Fantasy cut-outs. I bought eight this month. You can order from them, but their website does not list everything. I could try to make a list next time I go there and post it here. Usually I stop in on my way to Baltimore for a gig so I may not have time, but maybe I could make a special trip on Thanksgiving w/e. My idea is I would post a list and people could then call them and order. I would have to talk to the store to see how to work it when it is not an item on their website. Maybe I will make a separate thread.

Some things I think they have that are I think are hard to find includes Lee Morgan's Take Twelve, Jenkins/Jordan/Timmons and Walter Bishop Trio. No sign of the Gryces, but it could still happen...

Bertrand.

The only affordable option right now for The Hap'nin's is the mp3 version which is available through the Concord Music website. Click Here Probably not what you're looking for but I thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck.

I wonder when record companies are going to figure out that most of the market for vintage jazz doesn't want MP3s. I'd pay for FLAC or other lossless files, but I'll be damned if I will ever pay for MP3s.

It is remarkable to me that what is basically an artifact of a time when smaller files actually mattered (i.e. prior to cheap, huge hard drives) somehow became the de facto standard for commercial downloads. It is ridiculous that vendors still have apparently not gotten the news that lossless files are the only way to go..

Edited by riverrat

I have been trying all over the net to find two CD's with Gigi Gryce "Saying Something" and "The Hap'nin's" for a secent price, but in vain, those I have found cost a bundle, are they really that rare, both were on the New Jazz Label (Prestige). I have a order in for them right now, but I doubt very much that it can be fulfilled. Can anyone here on the board help me ?

Vic

I have been looking for The Hap"nins on CD for some time myself. It is odd that the three OJC releases vary so much in their availability. Rat Race Blues and Saying Something are available at reasonable prices, even though a little hard to find. Not so with Hap"nins... Very difficult to find at reasonable prices.

If you find a reasonable source let us know. Until then I will just wait. Usually what happens is I pay a slight premium only to discover that it is the latest "Keepnews" release, or something equally frustrating.

Hard to understand the music business these days I guess......

Good luck to you Vic.

Vic

I have been looking for The Hap"nins on CD for some time myself. It is odd that the three OJC releases vary so much in their availability. Rat Race Blues and Saying Something are available at reasonable prices, even though a little hard to find. Not so with Hap"nins... Very difficult to find at reasonable prices.

If you find a reasonable source let us know. Until then I will just wait. Usually what happens is I pay a slight premium only to discover that it is the latest "Keepnews" release, or something equally frustrating.

Hard to understand the music business these days I guess......

Good luck to you Vic.

Hi

I have just found "The Hap'nin's" on All About Jazz for 15.98$ + shipping, that is a fair price, so I it ordered it, there was nothing about out of stock, so they should still have it.

Vic

Hi

I have just found "The Hap'nin's" on All About Jazz for 15.98$ + shipping, that is a fair price, so I it ordered it, there was nothing about out of stock, so they should still have it.

Vic

Thanks for the tip, just ordered. I will believe it when I see it though..

I called AAJ yesterday to inquire if they really had this in stock. They told me that no, they didn't, but it would be in "...in 7-10 days..".

Hopefully they had one in stock, and Vic got it, which is why it was still listed on their site. But methinks this is just another example of laziness in keeping a website current, and listing items they don't actually have. In any case, I seriously doubt they will get any in "7-10 days". But we shall see..

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got "Saying Somethin'", but not yet "Hap'nin's", but I have two web orders in for it, so maybe. Was not aware of that All About Jazz was somehow connected with Mosaic, but must be since I received a mail form Scott Wenzel about my order from them.

Vic

You can order CDs from Mosaic/True Blue through links provided by AAJ; Mosaic probably have some kind of deal with AAJ, but I don't think they're connected with them.

Sounds to me like Gigi Gryce could be the perfect vehicle for Mosaic to introduce another black box hard bop set, which we haven't seen for some time. Seems free jazz and old fogey jazz are ruling the day over there, with the one exception being Ahmad Jamal.

This will be the first Christmas in 4 years where Mosaic is not on my wish list.