Fascinating Louis Armstrong, from 1933, live

mmilovan

Know nothning about it:

Recorded during concert, live, octobar 1933, Stockholm.

That's from the "in Scandinavia" Storyville set. Two (out of three) tracks recorded by a telephone company employee on line-testing equipment. Neat that things like this survive.

Line-up: Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl), Charles S. Johnson (tp), Lionel Guimaraes (tb), Peter DuCongé, Harry Tyree, Fletcher Allen (rd), Justo Barreto (p), German Araco (b), Oliver Tines (d)

Probably it is earliest known example of his music recorded during concert, right?

The liner notes to the Storyville set go further than that and say that it's probably the earliest recording of any live concert.

This was done around the same time as Louis' appearance in the Danish film, København, Kalundborg, og ?. Clips from that film are common and wonderful. The title translates into Copenhagen, Kalundborg (the latter being another Danish city) and relates to the Danish radio that ID'ed itself as "Danmarks Radio, København, Kalundborg. I believe a second transmitter was at Kalundborg. I have never seen the film, but I imagine it is along the lines of Hollywood's "The Big Broadcast" and England's "Radio Parade of 1935", both had thin plots and were basically an excuse to bring popular radio stars to the silver screen. BTW, the British film included a production number starring Alberta Hunter. It was the first British feature film to be shot in color (Dufay Color), but only Alberta's number—the rest was black and white.

don't know if anybody remembers, but in Ken Burns' Jazz they were showing one of the live films of Louis' Danish concert - I think it was Dinah, and Louis is going along; I say to my wife "wait until you hear this trumpet solo," and JUST as Armstrong starts to put the trumpet to his lips - THEY FLASH TO STANLEY CROUCH SAYING HOW GREAT ARMSTRONG IS! NO SOLO!

I almost kicked my TV set, and I would have, if the Three Stooges Marathon wasn't coming up on Turner Classics.

don't know if anybody remembers, but in Ken Burns' Jazz they were showing one of the live films of Louis' Danish concert - I think it was Dinah, and Louis is going along; I say to my wife "wait until you hear this trumpet solo," and JUST as Armstrong starts to put the trumpet to his lips - THEY FLASH TO STANLEY CROUCH SAYING HOW GREAT ARMSTRONG IS! NO SOLO!

I almost kicked my TV set, and I would have, if the Three Stooges Marathon wasn't coming up on Turner Classics.

Is it this scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4i0SxNPE0

It was a disgusting exemplar of bad taste and warped film making to interrupt a sublime performance with mindless blather from that grotesque, unsightly inflated man and the other J&LC clown. As always, neither had anything worthwhile to say. Mmilovan, you get demerits for making us relive that nightmare. :)

Here's my favorite from the Copenhagen concert. Man, talk about energy. Watch everyone's feet in the band tapping out the rhythm. I love the way Armstrong struts around the stage like he's making sure everything is working just right before he moves to the microphone.

Love the 2 seconds at about 1:46 where he switches from dancing to trumpet mode - a sudden and total change in purpose and attitude. Brilliant solo.