New Smithsonian Jazz box

danasgoodstuff

what, only a few Cds?

actually, IIRC, I consulted on that project a LONG time ago (well, maybe 5 years ago; could be longer) -

Hell, your "That Devilin' Tune" sets are far, far better than this.

What disappoints me is that there already IS a decent Smithsonian Jazz Anthology. I wish that, instead of going back to square one and trying to fit 100+ years of jazz history onto six CDs, they had done a volume 2 that started where the first one left off. That would give them six CDs to explore what has happened in jazz SINCE the first set came out.

what, only a few Cds?

actually, IIRC, I consulted on that project a LONG time ago (well, maybe 5 years ago; could be longer) -

What disappoints me is that there already IS a decent Smithsonian Jazz Anthology. I wish that, instead of going back to square one and trying to fit 100+ years of jazz history onto six CDs, they had done a volume 2 that started where the first one left off. That would give them six CDs to explore what has happened in jazz SINCE the first set came out.

Volume 2 of the original "Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" would've been nice, but as someone who has tried to use the SCCJ for teaching an Introduction to Jazz class, I like the looks of the new Anthology better. Much better coverage of the '40s and '50's Bop/Hard Bop/Cool stuff.

what, only a few Cds?

Volume 2 of the original "Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" would've been nice, but as someone who has tried to use the SCCJ for teaching an Introduction to Jazz class, I like the looks of the new Anthology better. Much better coverage of the '40s and '50's Bop/Hard Bop/Cool stuff.

Back in the '80s I was contacted about using some of my material for a projected 2nd volume. Then nothing happened.