Horace/Serenade to a soul sis...

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

wow. i just got serenade. never made it to the cds of this (prob of the -very- last 1955-1970 bn cds i never got around to) but wow i got a really think heavy vinyl liberty press, wow, is bob cranshaw on electric bass, at least on this 1st tune thats on now?

for those who never heard abt time i asked bob about blue note, and his electric bass.... i got all up in his grill about what the hell's up w/ his electric bass all over 'rough n tumble'...i was freaking out on him about rough n tumble after the sonny concert (i was crazy, but respectful)- i was going on and on about why did u play electric bass on that. what did grant green think of the electric bass. Did Blue Mitchell like it? Did Alfred Lion make you do it on that, or whats up with it and he said it was Stanley, Stanley asked me to bring it to the date, so instantly then though, i said: but like what not w/ hank, or lee morgan, why didnt u rock the fender on Hi Volatge or something, that would of been awesome and bob cranshaw said, i guess he was saying maybe not all those cats warmed up to it as quickly, i dont know cause of course hi voltage is acoustic as we all know and love, but so back to the on-topic, is he rockin it on BST84277 Serenade to a soul sister side 1. im excited about bennie maupin rippin it up all over on side 2

i can only tell its liberty, in the bussiness of the label, not in the quality of sound presentation- this liberty is spot-on, blue note-style (sound) and pressing of disc

sounds 5000 times better than Caramba

wow, and the linernotes are a trip...this is an overall great presentation

Edited by chewy

ok, heres something: what about the 'featuring Stanley Turrentine' bit? since when do blue note records do "featuring...and one player.........===now i know some joe hendersons, right, have the mult.names listed then /"etc"...but featuring stanley turrentine seams kind of odd. it prob was totally liberty, since i guess stanleys the other one on the lp that his a 'name', i guess, bennie maupin was still kind of an unknown...but still, its not really cool, it puts ST in an uncomfortable position

ok, heres something: what about the 'featuring Stanley Turrentine' bit? since when do blue note records do "featuring...and one player.........===now i know some joe hendersons, right, have the mult.names listed then /"etc"...but featuring stanley turrentine seams kind of odd. it prob was totally liberty, since i guess stanleys the other one on the lp that his a 'name', i guess, bennie maupin was still kind of an unknown...but still, its not really cool, it puts ST in an uncomfortable position

Apparently Horace was "between" tenor players, so Stanley was brought in as a guest for this session. Since Stanley was already an emerging star, it makes sense that he would have gotten featured billing.

for those who never heard abt time i asked bob about blue note, and his electric bass.... i got all up in his grill about what the hell's up w/ his electric bass all over 'rough n tumble'...i was freaking out on him about rough n tumble after the sonny concert (i was crazy, but respectful)- i was going on and on about why did u play electric bass on that. what did grant green think of the electric bass. Did Blue Mitchell like it? Did Alfred Lion make you do it on that, or whats up with it and he said it was Stanley, Stanley asked me to bring it to the date, so instantly then though, i said: but like what not w/ hank, or lee morgan, why didnt u rock the fender on Hi Volatge or something, that would of been awesome and bob cranshaw said, i guess he was saying maybe not all those cats warmed up to it as quickly, i dont know cause of course hi voltage is acoustic as we all know and love, but so back to the on-topic, is he rockin it on BST84277 Serenade to a soul sister side 1. im excited about bennie maupin rippin it up all over on side 2

Dude, you should write liner notes, just like this. I would buy every album made with Chewy Effron liner notes, I would promise and swear.

David Himmelstein, move over!

I'm definitely a fan of the non-buttoned-down approach to liner notes. Ever read the ones to Bennie Green's The Swinginest on Vee-Jay (don't remember who wrote them, maybe Sid McCoy?). Decidedly non "formal", but you'll not find a better summation of the appeal that players like Green & Gene Ammons had to the then-blue collar African-American audience anywhere. They should be in a book somewhere, required reading for all jazz "scholars", but good luck on that one...

Chewy Effron speaks his own language with his own syntax (well, it's not really uniquely his, but it's significantly, uh...more....youthful than the "jazz world" is accustomed to these days...) but his perspective is clearly felt, and a liner note by him would beat the hell out of one more dry, dull, by the book play-by-play writings of Bob Blumenthal (or whatever his name is) and his ilk.

This part in particular almost made me laugh out loud:

i got all up in his grill about what the hell's up w/ his electric bass all over 'rough n tumble'...i was freaking out on him about rough n tumble after the sonny concert (i was crazy, but respectful)

Reminds me of a conversation I recently had with a younger-ish co-worker who said that there was this chick he really dug but he didn't want to get too serious with her because she had a jacked-up grill and he didn't want no babies with jacked-up grills because them braces are too damn expensive! He really dug her, but that jacked-up grill was a problem, a dealbreaker even, and he was looking for a way to respectfully break it off with her before it got too complicated.

Time and place, it's all about creating a clear picture of time and place. And people. Real people in real time having real experiences with whatever reality they see themselves as living in. Gotta love it, at least I do.

I don't think it's electric bass on "Rough and Tumble" - but the fact that it's questionable points to the crux of the problem with this electric vs. upright BS. I'll put it in a nutshell - It's the player and the feel. Electric bass gets dumped on because so many of the players don't get a good jazz feel or a good walk. In fact - it's not the ax - it's the player. Cranshaw has got the feel and many guys have it. Going back in the day Jamerson had it, Bob Bushnell and Jimmy Lewis had it. Lots more.