Back in the studio!

We had a fun little session in my home studio last Tuesday, recording some songs just for the heck of it. The current plan is to release 4 songs or so as a digital EP, but if we can fit another session in before go back on the road with Janiva Magness, perhaps we'll have enough for a full CD. We'll see.

Here's a sample of one of the tunes.

Never Can Say Goodbye - organissimo

http://www.organissimo.org/pub/mp3s/Never%20Can%20Say%20Goodbye.mp3

This is our formal introduction of our new guitarist, Ralph Tope. Ralph is a former student of Joe's, originally from Detroit. He's also studied under Perry Hughes, who some may know from Bill Heid's great recordings. Perry is a monster player who taught Earl Klugh back in the day. Ralph is finishing up his last semester at Michigan State and we're hoping he sticks around for awhile, though he might take off to NYC in the future. We'll enjoy him while he's here. Randy and I are having a good time playing with him.

Anyway, enjoy!

That'a good tune, once widely covred, now all but forgotten by "jazz players". Thanks for not forgetting! And besides me, Clifton Davis thanks you as well!

Like the synth overdub as well, very much. Tasty!

What's the deal at 2:16? Sounds like it's about to go into Confirmation changes but then warps out before it does. Nutty!

You ever looked at any other J5 tunes? "I Wanna Be Where You Are" is another one that works.

Anyway, Onward!

That'a good tune, once widely covred, now all but forgotten by "jazz players". Thanks for not forgetting! And besides me, Clifton Davis thanks you as well!

Like the synth overdub as well, very much. Tasty!

What's the deal at 2:16? Sounds like it's about to go into Confirmation changes but then warps out before it does. Nutty!

You ever looked at any other J5 tunes? "I Wanna Be Where You Are" is another one that works.

Anyway, Onward!

Thanks, Jim. I can't say the Confirmation warp was intentional and I didn't notice it before, but that's pretty cool! :)

As I was mixing, I kept hearing Stevie Wonder-esque / TONTO Moog string parts, ala "Talking Book". I think it works.

I'll check out that other J5 tune, thanks!

A drum machine doesn't let the tempo gain momentum (which is not the same as speeding up, just as Charlie Rouse playing on top of the pitch is not the same as playing sharp) as the tune goes along. Not like this.

I was just kidding Randy a bit. Hopefully, he understands that--I'm pretty sure he does. rolleyes.gif

And I'm pretty sure he'll also appreciate your well-deserved praise. thumbs_up.gif