Movie: True Grit 2010

Take an iPod to a movie?

Hmmm...that's kinda like wearing shoulder pads to a baseball game....

Or a condom to a...?

Bris.

I wince at the vulgarity, but I would have said "a blow job."

Better to match Richard Dawson than Brett Somers (9 times out of 10, anyway.)

(And thanks for the reminder re: Laughton's use of "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" in NOTH... this recent Slate article by Elbert Ventura on that film might be of some interest... http://www.slate.com/id/2273576/)

...there were periodic scenes of wanton cruelty (Cogburn kicking the Indian natives off their seats on the fence two too many times)...

Geez -- it's a period Western, and Cogburn was not only of his time but also was far from a nice guy (and at that point in the film I think we needed to be reminded of that by those acts of casual inhumanity, in case we were beginning to sentimentalize him). He should have patted them on the head/chucked them under the chin? Also IIRC, the household those kids were part of was under the aegis of a bad guy who probably had aided the very bad guys Cogburn and Mattie were in pursuit of.

As far as the other wantonly cruel scenes you're probably thinking of, to me they all seemed very much of a piece with the rest of what was going on. In fact, the movie as a whole seemed a lot less cruel and violent than I expected it might be, certainly less so IIRC than Eastwood's "The Unforgiven" (which admittedly was a movie that set out to be much darker in tone).

"The Unforgiven", that's a great western, easily the best of that genre in the past 20 years.

OK.

So how does the remake compare to the original?

It's better than the original. But the original stunk to high heaven in my opinion, so it's not exactly praise.

Better how, though?

Has the plot or storyline been changed? Better acting?

BTW, I think John Wayne and company did a marvelous job in the original...but that's just me. Rooster Cogburn [w/Katheryn Hepburn] is better, IMHO.

OK.

It's better than the original. But the original stunk to high heaven in my opinion, so it's not exactly praise.

Better how, though?

BTW, I think John Wayne and company did a marvelous job in the original...but that's just me. Rooster Cogburn [w/Katheryn Hepburn] is better, IMHO.

Better photography, better script, better cast,better direction.

OK.

Better how, though?

....better score.

OK.

Better how, though?

....better score.

Truly grittier.

• 4 weeks later...