Those Super Short "tunes"

Dan Gould

I was just listening to one of Donald Harrison's "Nouveau Swing" discs and I noticed those annoying 90 second or even under-a-minute tunes, and I know Donald's not the only one-a lot of the young lions have done that too, like (I'm pretty sure) Eric Reed.

WHAT is up with that? Does anyone get anything out of a 90 second tune? I mean, its not even as if they are trying to duplicate the "say it, and say it quick" aesthetic of the old 3 minute recordings of way back when, it just seems to be filler to me, and annoying filler at that.

What do you guys think?

I've noticed this, too ... I get the feeling some of the musicians are positioning these snippets as transitions that are supposed to pull separate pieces of music together under one big concept, if that makes sense.

In my head, though, I treat them pretty much the same way I would a breakdown alternate track ... it doesn't really stand on its own because, obviously, there's so little time for something to develop, but it can be interesting to listen to and provide some added insight to a performer.

So I guess I'd call 'em filler, but not necessarily irritating.

Edited by Chrome

Guess it depends on intent and placement.

Interludes, seques, etc. work for me if they're part of a well-planned overall form. Sort of like a transition shot in a movie. Or if it's a "gag" cut, one played for laughs, it usually works best at the end of an album. Of course, the pieces themselves have to work as intended, or else they're merely an annoyance.

Either way, small doses of the technique is all I care for.

I have no particular prob with v. short tunes per se. I can find it annoying if they seem ARTIFICIALLY short, but no more so than if the're ARTIFICAILLY long. In general a tune/performance/recording should last just exactly as long as it needs to in order to get the job done that particular time, no more no less.