Posting jazz licks

bopland

Hi there,

I would like to suggest a new feature: Publishing licks on the forum. Here's an idea: http://my.bopland.org The service is absolutely free, contains no ads and can be turned on/off quickly. It doesn't impact the forum in either way, except showing nice licks with playback option. Here's an example working on saxforum.org: http://saxforum.org/showthread.php?t=16359

Please, write me a PM or an email if you have any questions or need a technical assistance.

Best,

BopLand.org

Edited by BopLand.org

That is actually really cool in the way you can code notation relatively simply. I think the main reasons it wouldn't be used here though are:

-99.9% of the discussions here are non-technical, along the lines of "whoa, that Bird record is awesome" rather than "let's examine how Bird used enclosures to ornament the chord tones on the ii-V-Is on Donna Lee." That's the main reason the little-used "Musician's Forum" exists here - to wall off the nerdy musician-speak from the rest of the board, which couldn't care less about such things.

-Those of us who occasionally engage in the other 0.1% are probably too lazy to learn how to use the feature. :)

That is actually really cool in the way you can code notation relatively simply. I think the main reasons it wouldn't be used here though are:

-99.9% of the discussions here are non-technical, along the lines of "whoa, that Bird record is awesome" rather than "let's examine how Bird used enclosures to ornament the chord tones on the ii-V-Is on Donna Lee." That's the main reason the little-used "Musician's Forum" exists here - to wall off the nerdy musician-speak from the rest of the board, which couldn't care less about such things.

-Those of us who occasionally engage in the other 0.1% are probably too lazy to learn how to use the feature. :)

That seems to be the right choice until you have too many threads with theoretical discussions. Thank you the reply.

Kind Regards,

BopLand.org

I don't know if the term was coined by David Baker, but I remember reading it long ago in one of his bebop books. See the third post in this thread for a halfway lucid explanation: http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=14436

An example is the pickup to bar 5 of Donna Lee. Maybe not the most classic case (because the note being enclosed is the 11th of the Bb minor chord rather than a more basic chord tone like the 3rd) but seems like it fits to me.