Question re: BYG LPs (esp. Steve Lacy, "Epistrophy")

Bol

I just got this Steve Lacy LP from an eBay seller, and the LP seems to have been made quite poorly -- all kinds of subtle indentations and imperfections on the vinyl surface. They seem to be manufacturing defects. Now, I am wondering whether this is something to be expected in BYG LPs of the early 1970s. The sound reflects these imperfections, with little bits of thumps in various spots, and a second or two of "warble" in one spot. I like the recording and would like to keep it if this is what one should expect from these LPs. Otherwise, if I have a particularly bad copy, I'd like to try to send it back to the seller. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the instructive posts. I just noticed that one side of the LP is a lot thicker than the opposite side. Oy vey!

This LP collecting business, which I started about 4 months ago, is much more of a touch-and-go than I expected. Sound is clearly better and more natural than on CDs, but a lot of trouble. I am beginning wonder whether I should have gotten into it. But those Pee Wee Russell and Gerry Mulligan records sound so marvelous!!