Bobby Hutcherson

mrjazzman

What makes it great to me is that "atmosphere" Mike mentions. The group interplay is fine, and more dynamic than most other efforts from the various Hutcherson/Land bands, and there's not a solo from anyone which is less than very good. Hearing Chick Corea (in what was arguably his "best" period ) in this context is also a big plus.

bobby+hutcherson1007-05.jpg

At the North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam last summer, he was gasping for fresh air and needed a fan at his feet, but he played like a young God ......

bobby+hutcherson1007-04.jpgBobby Hutcherson at the North Sea Jazz Festival 2010

Durium

Yeah, I saw him at that festival, very glad I did - he sounded excellent (as did the entire band, really). One of my personal highlights of the weekend, he's been a big favorite of mine ever since I got into jazz more seriously.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Saw Bobby Hutcherson on Friday night At Yoshi's Jazz Club in Oakland, CA 1-28-2011. His 70th birthday was on the 27th. I must say he looked in bad shape. He is frail and has to use a portable breathing device with the plastic tubing in his nose. I could see him gasping for air from time to time. Didn't realize he was that ill. He was with guitarist Anthony Wilson, local man steady Eddy Marshall on drums(played a beautiful tune on a flute sounding instrument, I think it's a Recorder)the pianist and bassist names escape me. Hutch's music is fine, but, it's sad to see him in his current physical condition at only 70 years of age. If you don't smoke(doesn't matter what)don't start, if you do smoke, STOP.....................

I was at that show as well, doing some research for my group, Park ST. Trio, which has a vibes player in it. I thought he played really well, considering. I feel like musicians can get old and continue playing like it's nothing. That is always so amazing to me. I saw Louie Bellson about a year before he died and he was still playing so well. I hope I am just like that, playing until I die. (Not that Bobby is dead yet, but you know he'll play until that day comes). Side note, if you are from the Bay Area, check out: Park St. Trio, We're small, but fun.

I saw him at a jazz festival in Sept. 2007 (not so recent now I guess) and Bobby looked great and performed great. After his set, he talked with fans, signed autographs, etc. Really nice. He seemed in great shape.

I have a lot of Hutcherson LPs. I suppose my faves are STICK-UP, PATTERNS, and COMPONENTS, and you can add TOTAL ECLIPSE too, I guess. His music was the kind of in-out music that really attracted me.

• 2 years later...

Just posted on Facebook:

Very excited to announce that the legendary Bobby Hutcherson will make his triumphant return to Blue Note Records--where the virtuoso vibraphonist started his career in the early '60s--with the June 23 release of "Enjoy the View," a session produced by Blue Note president Don Was and recorded by an all-star collective with saxophonist David Sanborn and organist Joey DeFrancesco, and featuring drummer Billy Hart! More details here: http://www.bluenote.com/news/bobby-hutcherson-returns-to-blue-note
1622628_10152894020710639_1624719195_n.j

Just posted on Facebook:

Very excited to announce that the legendary Bobby Hutcherson will make his triumphant return to Blue Note Records--where the virtuoso vibraphonist started his career in the early '60s--with the June 23 release of "Enjoy the View," a session produced by Blue Note president Don Was and recorded by an all-star collective with saxophonist David Sanborn and organist Joey DeFrancesco, and featuring drummer Billy Hart! More details here: http://www.bluenote.com/news/bobby-hutcherson-returns-to-blue-note

could be wonderful, could be a trainwreck...

Just posted on Facebook:

could be wonderful, could be a trainwreck...

I doubt that it will be a trainwreck. Hutcherson and DeFrancesco have recorded at least two albums together (DeFrancesco's Organic Vibes and Hutcherson's 2012 album, Somewhere in the Night), and DeFrancesco has also recorded with Sanborn (on 2010's Only Everything). Billy Hart brings it in any situation and worked with Jimmy Smith in the '60s. Sanborn is the wildcard here, although he has recorded more straight-ahead stuff in recent years. For me, the question will be how far afield they'll venture from standard organ fare and how Sanborn responds to that.

If I had to pick the same instrumentation but could tweak the personnel, I'd probably sub Gary Versace for DeFrancesco and Jaleel Shaw for Sanborn. However, I'm interested in hearing Enjoy the View.

• 2 years later...
On 3/19/2014 at 7:54 PM, Justin V said:

I doubt that it will be a trainwreck. Hutcherson and DeFrancesco have recorded at least two albums together (DeFrancesco's Organic Vibes and Hutcherson's 2012 album, Somewhere in the Night), and DeFrancesco has also recorded with Sanborn (on 2010's Only Everything). Billy Hart brings it in any situation and worked with Jimmy Smith in the '60s. Sanborn is the wildcard here, although he has recorded more straight-ahead stuff in recent years. For me, the question will be how far afield they'll venture from standard organ fare and how Sanborn responds to that.

If I had to pick the same instrumentation but could tweak the personnel, I'd probably sub Gary Versace for DeFrancesco and Jaleel Shaw for Sanborn. However, I'm interested in hearing Enjoy the View.

up for a little air ...

I bought this and promptly forgot about it.  Was checking out "Head On" and noticed it shares a bonus track, "Hey Harold" with the 2014 album.

So I pulled out "Enjoy The View" for a listen.  It is a very nice album.  Edgier than I would have expected.  Would never in a million years have guessed it was Sanborn, he is more adventurous than I would have imagined.  I am really enjoying this one.

Edited by Eric

Sanborn hosted a tv show in the 90s called Night Music and he sat in with many of his guests including Tim Berne, Howard Roberts and Joey Baron and a few other guests who were pretty edgy and he really rose to the challenge and played really well.

He's more than a one trickpony, that's for sure.