Getz/Gilberto, Astrud: their working relationship

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

someone was pointing out she looks quite reserved how shes singing in the clip. (you know that famous vid of Girl from imp) and i said well its probably cause she was scared a little of getz, who knows what he put her through.

so i wanted to post about it since i dont really know....did these two have a good working relationship, or was it very strenous, like i suspected, i mean she does seem, like a reserved foreign girl, and stan was completly flying out of control off the handle and stuff. did the record company pair them up? is her husband or father the other gilberto. joao. is that the connection. anyways cybill sheppard said in her bio that stan was out of control rude to her

Some interesting information here:

http://www.thebestofbrazil.info/sketches/BDS0119.html

Creed Taylor realized he had struck gold. A month after recording Jazz Samba Encore!, Taylor put Getz with João Gilberto to record the LP Getz/Gilberto. The album included “The Girl from Ipanema,” which introduced Gilberto's wife Astrud. The song became a monster hit, winning the Grammy for Best Single — unprecedented for a jazz recording. The album won three Grammys and spent an extraordinary 96 weeks on the pop charts. It was the best-selling jazz LP in history up to that time. It also became the best-selling LP of Getz's career, thanks in large part to “The Girl from Ipanema.” Getz said this about Astrud Gilberto: “That was the catalyst – her singing the English lyrics. That made it a huge hit worldwide.”

It's an interesting comment, given what jazz critic Gene Lees reveals in his book Singers and the Song II:

Astrud hadn't been paid a penny for the session... And within days, the record was on the charts. It was at this point that Getz called Creed [Taylor's] office. Betsy, Creed's secretary, took the call. Creed was out of the office. When he returned and she told him Stan was anxious to talk with him, Creed thought Stan must be calling to see that Astrud got some share of the royalties. On the contrary, he was calling to make sure that she got nothing.

Within a month, Getz was having an affair with Astrud.

someone was pointing out she looks quite reserved how shes singing in the clip. (you know that famous vid of Girl from imp) and i said well its probably cause she was scared a little of getz, who knows what he put her through.

so i wanted to post about it since i dont really know....did these two have a good working relationship, or was it very strenous, like i suspected, i mean she does seem, like a reserved foreign girl, and stan was completly flying out of control off the handle and stuff. did the record company pair them up? is her husband or father the other gilberto. joao. is that the connection. anyways cybill sheppard said in her bio that stan was out of control rude to her

There is a great interview over at Jazzwax with Phil Ramone which was the engineer on that date. Phil Ramone says:

On the days we recorded, Astrud came to the date with her then husband, guitarist Joao Gilberto. Astrud was in the control room when Norm came in with the English lyrics to Ipanema. Creed said he wanted to get the song done right away and looked around the room. Astrud volunteered, saying she could sing in English. Creed said, “Great.” Astrud wasn’t a professional singer, but she was the only victim sitting there that night [laughs].

Here's the link: http://www.jazzwax.com/2010/11/interview-phil-ramone-part-3.html

Kalli

uh oh - you can't say anything bad about Getz. His daughter doesn't like it.

I reached out to her during "the incident" and in all honesty found her to be a very nice, intelligent, and reasonable person.

She, probably better than anybody, is fully aware of - and readily acknowledges - her father's "complexities", having lived them rather than just reading about them or hearing about them secondhand.

The story which started the whole imbroglio was indeed anecdotal, and related an incident that would horrify anybody about whose parent it was said. It's not like she hates her dad - quite the contrary. And she's heard - and lived - plenty of unpleasantness that she knows to be true. But she's also got good memories too. Like I said, she loved her dad, warts and all.

I'm only bringing this up because, although there are plenty of oversensitive, hyper-protective, perpetually-in-denial jazz offspring (and parents, for that matter...), Stan Getz' daughter certainly does not appear to be one of them.

It's an interesting comment, given what jazz critic Gene Lees reveals in his book Singers and the Song II:

Astrud hadn't been paid a penny for the session... And within days, the record was on the charts. It was at this point that Getz called Creed [Taylor's] office. Betsy, Creed's secretary, took the call. Creed was out of the office. When he returned and she told him Stan was anxious to talk with him, Creed thought Stan must be calling to see that Astrud got some share of the royalties. On the contrary, he was calling to make sure that she got nothing.

I read that Al Cohn's response to this story was, "It's good to hear that success hasn't changed Stan Getz!"

uh oh - you can't say anything bad about Getz. His daughter doesn't like it.

I reached out to her during "the incident" and in all honesty found her to be a very nice, intelligent, and reasonable person.

She, probably better than anybody, is fully aware of - and readily acknowledges - her father's "complexities", having lived them rather than just reading about them or hearing about them secondhand.

The story which started the whole imbroglio was indeed anecdotal, and related an incident that would horrify anybody about whose parent it was said. It's not like she hates her dad - quite the contrary. And she's heard - and lived - plenty of unpleasantness that she knows to be true. But she's also got good memories too. Like I said, she loved her dad, warts and all.

I'm only bringing this up because, although there are plenty of oversensitive, hyper-protective, perpetually-in-denial jazz offspring (and parents, for that matter...), Stan Getz' daughter certainly does not appear to be one of them.

Well said. Thank you.