*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm really waiting for is word on whether Criterion is going to release Playtime in 2005 or not. I sure hope so, though maybe it will be 2006. Any later than that and I will just get the R2 release and be done with it. Still, Criterion has the opportunity to use the 70 mm release (very nice) and correct some issues that others have pointed out.

I still vividly remember when the Tati films showed up in J & R Musicworld. I decided to watch the films first before buying them (seems sensible to me though there are people who buy all Criterion films sight-unseen, much as some of us (not me) buy every Mosaic). I didn't actually care for them on first viewing, though they grew on me. By this time, they had gone out of print. I do kind of regret not getting them, since I would have made a killing on ebay, especially with Playtime. Oh well. It's better that they be restored and kept in print.

I'm leaning towards getting the Criterion of Altman's Short Cuts.

As am I. Criterion has been putting together some really fantastic DVD packages lately. I got "The Battle of Algiers" and its got to be the most heavily packed DVDs in my collection. Also a great film, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not yet seen an episode of 'Six Feet Under' but was thinking about diving into one the DVD boxes. I noticed that some of the early reviews around this place gave the show pretty high marks...and then the tide seemed to turn. Best to just check out the season 1 episodes (2002?) and then drop it?

Guest ariceffron

I SAW A WEIRD DVD THIS MORNING CALLED "MAGNOLIA" STARRING JULLIANNE MOORE. SHE WAS HOT IN IT BUT IT WAS A HELLA WEIRD MOVIE, NOT QUITE DAVID LYNCH, BUT VERY INFLUENCED BY HIM IF YOU ASK ME

SCTV_V3.jpg

Coming March 1st. Includes maybe my favorite episode: Battle of the PBS Stars! If my hazy memory serves, the boxing match between Mr. Rogers and William F. Buckley is tear-inducing.

Which of the volumes, if any, has the "The Jazz Singer" skit in which Al Jarreau plays the adopted son of Eugene Levy's elderly Jewish character? That is my all time favorite.

Another one I enjoyed greatly is Eugene Levy's (that man again) impersonation of Perry Como singing "I Will Survive". Is that one available on any of the volumes?

I think I'm going to have to buy all of them. SCTV was state of the art TV comedy back in the early '80s.

Which of the volumes, if any, has the "The Jazz Singer" skit in which Al Jarreau plays the adopted son of Eugene Levy's elderly Jewish character? That is my all time favorite.

It's the first disc of the Second Cycle (Volume Two).

That cycle also contains the Godfather skit where Eugene Levy, playing Floyd the Barber, asks Don Caballero to take care of Opie.

Looking forward to Cycle Three!

Edited by alejo

I SAW A WEIRD DVD THIS MORNING CALLED "MAGNOLIA" STARRING JULLIANNE MOORE.  SHE WAS HOT IN IT BUT IT WAS A HELLA WEIRD MOVIE, NOT QUITE DAVID LYNCH, BUT VERY INFLUENCED BY HIM IF YOU ASK ME

I love this movie. Not one you can watch all the time, but a darkly beautiful film with great performances and an amazing screenplay. Its directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, a writer/director to keep your eye on. Its alot like the aforementioned "Short Cuts", but with much deeper undertones.

Edited by sal

I've not yet seen an episode of 'Six Feet Under' but was thinking about diving into one the DVD boxes.  I noticed that some of the early reviews around this place gave the show pretty high marks...and then the tide seemed to turn.  Best to just check out the season 1 episodes (2002?) and then drop it?

I thought Season 1 was quite good, and maybe the first half of Season 2. Perhaps renting the second season is a better approach. The question is whether you can go on, knowing you are turning your back on so much of the story. I guess I have survived so far ...

Just a small follow-up on Playtime. Criterion emailed me back, saying they hope to re-issue Playtime, but there are no definitive plans at the moment. I have no idea what that means. I hope they are working on the re-issue and don't want to tip their hands too much. I may see if I can get a used copy of the R2 version in the meantime, even though the colors are a bit off (green tinged).

anyone pick up the new edition of spike lee's "X"?

this is one of my fav dvds

ss1

I'm thinking about it; it keeps calling me from the shelves. I'll probably bite Friday when my check is safely in my hand...

Watched my DVD of Stagecoach last night, the first time I'd ever seen the film. After suffering through amateurish camera work, a predictable plot and acting that made the worst silents I've seen look subtle, could someone please tell me why this film has the reputation it has?

Sal

Apart from the bonus material, precisely in what way is the new edition of ' Raging Bull' better than the previous dvd version ?

It's one of my all time favourites and I would like to hear more details before forking out for a replacement of the old incarnation.

Thanks

Dave

ps ditto 'Malcolm X', the picture quality on the old one is more than satisfactory to my eyes, so what's the new version got to offer ?

Sal

Apart from the bonus material, precisely in what way is the new edition of ' Raging Bull' better than the previous dvd version ?

kinuta,

The picture and sound have been improved to these eyes and ears. At times, the onscreen dialogue is a bit quiet, like in the first DVD, but overall the presentation is much nicer. The picture especially. Plus, you get Martin Scorsese commentary. I haven't listened to this one yet, but there's a Jake LaMotta commentary as well!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

logo-top.gif

logo-bottom.gif

Seinfeld - 4th Season Announcement Soon!

Posted by David Lambert

2/23/2005

We've received quite a lot of e-mails from our readers asking about Seinfeld. Fans want to know when more DVDs are coming, will Sony continue releasing two box sets at a time, will there be any more special bonus items like the Re-Gift Set had, etc? Well, let's take those questions in reverse order: we don't know one way or the other about more gift sets, or more bonus items like the deck of cards, script, salt/pepper sets, etc. As for quantity, it looks like the releases are dropping down to one box set at a time. As for when then next set of DVDs will arrive...

...Relax, everybody! Industry sources have revealed to us that Sony Pictures Home Ent. is currently preparing their announcement for Seinfeld - Vol 3: Season 4. You should see the details - complete with the street date, price, extras, and other details - no later than mid-March, we're told. Remember: that's the announce date, not the release date! But it's only about three weeks away to find out the details, Seinfeld fans, so hold tight and stay tuned.

Therefore, we'll be back soon to tell you all about the DVDs with such fabulous episodes such as "The Trip" (Jerry on The Tonight Show), "The Pitch" (pitching a televsion show 'about nothing' to NBC), "The Bubble Boy", "The Airport", "The Pick" (Elaine's infamous christmas card), "The Implant" (Teri Hatcher's guest appearance), "The Pilot" (the show- within-the-show's debut), and the hilarious, award-winning episode "The Contest". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ON THE EDIT:

Seinfeld - e-Tailer breaks Season 4 announce date: street date & more listed!

Posted by David Lambert

3/04/2005

Not too long ago we posted an update on Seinfeld - Vol 3: Season 4. We told you that the studio, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, would announce the et in mid-March, and at that time would reveal the street date, pricing, and other details. The specific announcement date is now firmed up as March 14th.

Well, online retailer DVDPlanet.com has let the cat out of the bag early, we see. Today they added a for the 4th Season set of Seinfeld. In it, the reveal a street date of May 17th for the USA. They show a 4-DVD set running 552 minutes. They also selling advance orders currently right now for just $27.97, based on a $39.95 SRP. Get your pre-orders in now though, folks, because we know for a fact that the SRP shown there is a bit low, and will probably be revised soon.

And that's all we'll say for now! We're not going to spill any new beans, just relay what a major online source is already making public about the set. The information is already spreading across the internet fast, so we figured we shouldn't be left out! But we'll otherwise abide by Sony's announcement date, and bring you the rest of the information in 10 days. Stay tuned!

Edited by Chaney

That's good new about Seinfeld. love 'The Bubble Boy', remember the Jeopardy game and 'The Moops' ? 'The Contest 'is another classic, in fact they all are.

Watched ' Code 46' last night and was impressed.

ps the line, 'not that there is anything wrong with that 'is from ' The Outing'.

Edited by kinuta

Has been mentioned before, but a recent article on why some old shows haven't made it to dvd....

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66696,00.html

That's an interesting article. Thanks for posting it Berigan!

It's a drag that WKRP won't be released as a DVD. I loved that episode where Les Nessman dropped the turkeys from the heliocopter for Thanksgiving. :lol: