*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McCloud was a "Sunday night mystery movie" series that I loved as a kid, but have the feeling that it might not hold up so well now.

That complete Thin Man box looks good!

Has anyone checked out the Homicide DVD's? I've been watching them lately and being reminded of why I liked the show so much. (Trivia: Edie Falco appears in some early episodes as the wife of a cop who gets shot.)

Here's a guilty pleasure that I've been waiting for a long, long time.

The Gumball Rally (1976)

I saw this in the theatre when I was seven years old and it has always been a favorite. IMO it's 100 times better than the Cannonball Run. I just love the watching those great cars.

Release date - August 30, 2005

B0009PVZBO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BTW - I too am excited about the Thin Man set. :)

Edited by AfricaBrass

The Gumball Rally (1976)

I saw this in the theatre when I was seven years old and it has always been a favorite. IMO it's 100 times better than the Cannonball Run. I just love the watching those great cars.

Oh that will be fun! :cool:

It's been a long long time since I last saw this, so the cars will even be cooler! Thanks for the heads up!

Gumball!

The Gumball Rally (1976)

Oh that will be fun! :cool:

It's been a long long time since I last saw this, so the cars will even be cooler! Thanks for the heads up!

Gumball!

:lol::g

I just know that everytime I see that movie, I develop a severe lead foot. Yikes! :excited:

• 2 weeks later...

Already have the Criterion Cocteau Orphic Trilogy

and am really looking forward to this release.

Should be out on the 26th.

Anyone else?

B0007RTAQQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wow!!! Me too! :excited:

And me. Entr'acte is already on one of the Rene Clair Criterion discs, but it will be very nice to have the Leger & Dulac. A nice DVD of all of Germaine Dulac's films would be a marverlous thing.

Do either of the releases of Entr'acte use the Ertic Satie music from Parade that was written for the original screenings (which were part of a theatrical presentation-- the film was the "entr'acte")?

Deepdiscountdvd.com has a 20% off sale.

Here is a list of the known working coupon codes from another site:

DVDSALE

KLSX

SUMMERSALE

DEEPDISCOUNT

DVDTALK

PRICESEARCH

USATODAY

BARGAINFLIX

WCKG

GOOGLE

SUPERSALE

Good thru 6/25/05.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

Buffalo Bill - Lions Gate to release complete series

Video Business is reporting that Lions Gate will release the complete run of Buffalo Bill on September 6. The three disc, 26 episode set will retail for $29.98. The series stars Dabney Coleman as Bill Bittinger, the host of a talk show in Buffalo, NY. The series also stars Geena Davis, Charles Robinson and Max Wright.

BuffaloBill_EarlyLook.jpg

:party:

Edited by Chaney

Buffalo Bill - Lions Gate to release complete series

Video Business is reporting that Lions Gate will release the complete run of Buffalo Bill on September 6. The three disc, 26 episode set will retail for $29.98. The series stars Dabney Coleman as Bill Bittinger, the host of a talk show in Buffalo, NY. The series also stars Geena Davis, Charles Robinson and Max Wright.

:party:

YEOW! That's a blast from the past!

I'm really starting to love this trend of digging out shows that were too good for TV and slapping them on to DVD.

:party: indeed!

I'm really starting to love this trend of digging out shows that were too good for TV and slapping them on to DVD.

:party: indeed!

What was the one set in New Orleans - Frank's Cafe? I didn't watch that but would probably enjoy it.

I hope they put Days and Nights of Molly Dodd out, it sort of covered the same territory as Ally McBeal but much, much better.

The Lewton boxed set, as I understand it, will have THREE movies unavailable separately, including one of my favorites:The Seventh Victim, which boasts a shower scene that anticipates Psycho by more than a decade.

I've never heard of this; is this an adaptation of the short story? (Uh...does it involve killing for sport? would be the give away question I guess...)

The Lewton boxed set, as I understand it, will have THREE movies unavailable separately, including one of my favorites:The Seventh Victim, which boasts a shower scene that anticipates Psycho by more than a decade.

I've never heard of this; is this an adaptation of the short story? (Uh...does it involve killing for sport? would be the give away question I guess...)

It's more of a story about a cult and coercion, don't want to give away the plot.

Lewtons’ productions are very good considering the handicap he had, no budget. For example, most of the scenes in the Seventh Victim (and other of his films) were shot on recycled sets from The Magnificent Abersons. Because of this handicap he was forced to create atmosphere in stories (good thing) and use exploitive titles (not so good but no big deal). Not sure if it is an original screenplay or based on a short story. Worthy film, Kim Hunter with baby fat.

You're thinking of the movie The 10th Victim, starring Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress, which was based on a Robert Sheckley short story called, yes, "The Seventh Victim."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059095/

Edited by Kalo

Both Cat People movies will be included on a single disc.

But me for the box.

We're talking (B-Movie) history, here!

How are the Val Lewton movies with Boris Karloff?

I have only seen Body Snatcher,(Just checked allmovie.com, and all 3 Karloff/Lewton films were made in 1945!) but it is an excellent film!(My favorite Karloff film is the little known "The Walking Dead") Karloff, is just mesmerizing, just amazingly creepy! :ph34r: Here is a blurb from allmovie about Body Snatcher, but see the film, don't go there and have the ending spoiled! ^_^

Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi were given top billing in the Val Lewton-produced The Body Snatcher, but the film's protagonist is played by Henry Daniell. A brilliant 18th century London surgeon, Daniell can only make his humanitarian medical advances by experimenting on cadavers, which is strictly illegal. Karloff plays a Uriah Heep-type cabman who is secretly a grave robber, providing corpses for Daniell's research.