*** DVD CORNER ***

I remember watching this 20+ years ago in St. Louis hoping to see more of Sophia Loren than I had ever seen on film...blurbs I had read in books made her scene sound hotter than I recall it being, but hey with her, Anita Ekberg, and Romy Schneider cannot be all bad, and certainly has good directors...will have to check it out again someday...

B00080OB9I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

The Pink Panther Show - Think Pink! This July MGM brings 124 Panther Cartoons to DVD!

Posted by David Lambert

4/24/200

The Pink Panther is - paws down - the world's grooviest cartoon star. In 1964, this pink-inked feline slinked onto the opening credits of Blake Edwards' caper film by the same name and threatened to steal the entire show. Sleek, sophisticated and witty, the animation, produced by Friz Freleng and David H. DePatie, was a stylish departure from its contemporaries.and an instant hit. A subsequent short film, The Pink Phink, would go on to win an Oscar (1964: Animated Short Subject) and spawn a celebrated series of six-minute cartoons featuring the sly cat. Now, for the first time, 124 cartoons produced by Freleng and DePatie between 1964 and 1980 are collected here in a swingin' 5-disc set. With over 14 hours of "pink comedy," you can't help but lick your whiskers!

July 26th is the street date for this timelessly hip, ferociously funny box set. For $69.96 you get not onlyl five DVDs chock-full of the hilarious cartoons, but these special features as well:

• "Behind the Feline: The Cartoon Phenomenon" Documentary

• "Pink Patter With Art Leonardi: The Story Behind the Animation" Featurette

• "Remembering Friz: A Tribute to Friz Freleng" Featurette

• "Think Pink: How to Draw the Pink Panther" Featurette

• Page to Screen: The Making of Two Cartoons

• Animated Main Title Sequences From Five of the Feature Films

If The Pink Panther Show - Classic Cartoon Collection 5-Pack Box Set's $69.96 price tag is too much for you, then you can ease into the pink instead with 3 single-disc releases that street the same date. The Pink Panther Show - Classic Cartoon Collection Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3 each contain 27 shorts for $14.95 SRP per sold-separately disc. The first volume contains the Oscar-winning Pink Phink short, so if you had to start with one of these, then that would be the one!

Thanks for the 2 articles Chaney! Though typical of even a good story in the NYT, there are mistakes...

the first of Mr. Newhart's two self-titled sitcoms was soon to receive an Icon Award

So, The Bob Newhart show was one, Newhart was two, but Bob wasn't the 3rd self titled show??? ^_^

Just watched a DVD of the best of the Dean Martin variety show, with Bob doing a routine with Dean about returning a bad toupee. (We never see it under Bob's hat) He had Dean cracking up, insulting Dean with comments such as did he really work with Jerry Lewis, and wishing he was working with a good straight man. :g

Saw the Triplets of Belleville with my wife and kids on the weekend on DVD. Was the most original animated film I've seen in a long time. And it was done with virtually no dialogue. I will probably buy it for the collection.

triplets4.jpg

Edited by Robert J

Just watched the Criterion of My Man Godfrey again. What a great film. Anyone else here a fan?

It's the only Criterion I own. Love it! Well, didn't always, I remember finally seeing the whole movie(Used to see scene of Powell putting Lombard in the shower all the time) and remember thinking it wasn't as laugh out loud funny as I thought it would be. But, caught parts of it thru the years, and started to see why it was/is considered a classic.

Nice to finally see a good copy of a public domain title, hats off to Criterion for doing it. Blooper reel is great as well, but way too short.

Just watched the Criterion of My Man Godfrey again. What a great film. Anyone else here a fan?

Oh, yeah! I didn't know there was a Criterion, though; I ought to check it out!

Strange, but I only have one Criterion as well, Berigan, though mine is Peeping Tom, a bit different from My Man Godfrey!

There's a Thin Man DVD box set coming out soon. Heads up for William Powell Fans (not to mention Myrna Loy lovers).

I haven't seen the Criterion My Man Godfrey yet, but I hear it's an amazing restoration. I love the film, but every print I've ever seen has been very gray and washed out. Apparently the Criterion is better than most circulating theatrical prints. No surprise from this exemplary company.

I second Berigan's hats off to Criterion for restoring a PD title this way.

I have 16 Criterions. I got most of them used. I just scored a Criterion of the Maysles Brothers amazing documentary Grey Gardens for $8.

Just watched the Criterion of My Man Godfrey again.  What a great film.  Anyone else here a fan?

I've loved that movie since I was a kid. :tup:tup

I'm also a fan of William Powell movies in general, especially the Thin Man series.

Me too. I was lucky enough to see the entire series on the big screen at Cambridge's Brattle Theater some years ago. Granted that the first is the best, the series is a lot of fun, except for the last movie. William Powell and Myrna Loy go together so well. :tup

There's a Thin Man DVD box set coming out soon. Heads up for William Powell Fans (not to mention Myrna Loy lovers).

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did not know that... exciting news indeed! Some of the sequels, esp. ANOTHER THIN MAN, are pretty good... even SONG OF THE THIN MAN has its moments, with an aging Powell and Loy disoriented by bop/hipster NYC musicians.

Already have the Criterion Cocteau Orphic Trilogy

and am really looking forward to this release.

Should be out on the 26th.

Anyone else?

B0007RTAQQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wow!!! Me too! :excited:

And me. Entr'acte is already on one of the Rene Clair Criterion discs, but it will be very nice to have the Leger & Dulac. A nice DVD of all of Germaine Dulac's films would be a marverlous thing.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did not know that... exciting news indeed! Some of the sequels, esp. ANOTHER THIN MAN, are pretty good... even SONG OF THE THIN MAN has its moments, with an aging Powell and Loy disoriented by bop/hipster NYC musicians.

Was Another Thin Man the one that involved horse racing? I think that was my favorite sequel, if memory serves.

Was Another Thin Man the one that involved horse racing? I think that was my favorite sequel, if memory serves.

I think that's AFTER THE THIN MAN. Hammett basically adapted ANOTHER THIN MAN from one of his Continental Op stories; it was set on an East Coast estate.

I've been hooked on the NYPD Blue: Seasons one & two. Say what you will about David Caruso, but he was great in that first season. Also watching Echo & The Bunnymen: Live at Liverpool DVD. Have I ever mentioned I love the Bunnymen? :wub::wub::wub:

You guys are far too sophisticated for me. My most recent purchase was the first season of Magnum PI. Takes me back to my childhood... :lol:

Season 2 is out, with virtually the same box, so no one will even notice! :wacko:

B00005JMHI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB0007LXP86.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ok, slight differences, but if a retailer only has one, you think it is still season one for sale.

Just watched the Criterion of My Man Godfrey again.  What a great film.  Anyone else here a fan?

I've loved that movie since I was a kid. :tup:tup

I'm also a fan of William Powell movies in general, especially the Thin Man series.

Glad to see there are some Thin Man/William Powell fans! No, not forgetting Myrna Loy either! ^_^:wub:

I really like their non Thin Man movies as well. Anyone else???

Perhaps my favorite is 1941's Love Crazy(To keep Myrna from divorcing him, he pretends to be insane, so she can't, lotta laughs!) Very nearly as good are 1940's I Love You Again(Loy is about to divorce dull as dishwater Powell, but a blow on the head turns him back into his former self, a con man!) 1937's Double Wedding has Powell as a bohemian artist,(An early hippy really. ^_^ ) and the classic Libeled Lady, from 1936 starring Spencer Tracy and Jean Harlow as well. The only one on dvd right now.

The Senator Was Indiscreet (directed by George S. Kaufman!!!) is terrible, and see only has a small role in it, so you can skip that one. <_<

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 weeks later...

I recall really liking Sanjuro when I saw it on the big screen years ago. I actually have the Criterion DVD of this and of Yojimbo as well, but haven't watched either of them yet.

I'll do so this week and report back.

Edited by Kalo

• 2 weeks later...