*** DVD CORNER ***

I just watched Otto Preminger's Fallen Angel twice on DVD recently, a film that stars the still under-appreciated Dana Andrews in perhaps his most morally ambiguous role, Linda Darnell in her first iconic bad-girl turn, and Alice Faye in her dramatic debut after years of starring in musicals. An underrated "Film Noir" that was Preminger's follow-up to the classic Laura. The second time through I watched it with the commentary by noir expert Eddie Muller, accompanied by Dana Andrews's daughter. One of the best DVD commentaries I've ever heard. Muller really makes you appreciate Preminger's fluid camera and superb use of actors, while Andrews's daughter gives intriguing insights into her father's personality and acting style.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Otto Preminger's Fallen Angel twice on DVD recently, a film that stars the still under-appreciated Dana Andrews in perhaps his most morally ambiguous role, Linda Darnell in her first iconic bad-girl turn, and Alice Faye in her dramatic debut after years of starring in musicals. An underrated "Film Noir" that was Preminger's follow-up to the classic Laura. The second time through I watched it with the commentary by noir expert Eddie Muller, accompanied by Dana Andrews's daughter. One of the best DVD commentaries I've ever heard. Muller really makes you appreciate Preminger's fluid camera and superb use of actors, while Andrews's daughter gives intriguing insights into her father's personality and acting style.

Just found this at a decent price. You're right: A good movie with excellent commentary. Muller is very good at introducing films too.

Kalo---you really think Dana Andrews is still under-appreciated?

Certainly compared to folks like Bogart, Gregory Peck, or even Alan Ladd. I guess that's what he gets for dying relatively young (not to mention being under contract at Fox, usually considered to be the corny, hick studio in comparison to the other majors).

Certainly compared to folks like Bogart, Gregory Peck, or even Alan Ladd. I guess that's what he gets for dying relatively young (not to mention being under contract at Fox, usually considered to be the corny, hick studio in comparison to the other majors).

83 is relatively young??? :blink: He made some damn good films in the 40's, too bad he wasn't given the same quality of roles later on....Did ya know his brother is Steve Forrest of S.W.A.T. Fame????

83 is relatively young??? :blink: He made some damn good films in the 40's, too bad he wasn't given the same quality of roles later on....Did ya know his brother is Steve Forrest of S.W.A.T. Fame????

My mistake. I somehow assumed that the fact that he wasn't in a noteworthy film after the 1950s meant he died early.

That'll learn him.

Andrews was certainly a better actor than Gregory Peck (for my money anyway), but he just didn't get many plum roles.

Wow--when did this come out on DVD? I was looking for it a year or two ago... I do think that Andrews is just a tad underappreciated. (Just saw LAURA yet again, this time at our oldtime downtown theater--one of those films I can watch over & over again.)

My mistake. I somehow assumed that the fact that he wasn't in a noteworthy film after the 1950s meant he died early.

I read up a bit on Andrews when I was on a kick for him a year or two ago... he had a pretty bad drinking problem that may have contributed to his commercial decline. He did manage to eventually stop completely through AA.

Wow--when did this come out on DVD? I was looking for it a year or two ago... I do think that Andrews is just a tad underappreciated. (Just saw LAURA yet again, this time at our oldtime downtown theater--one of those films I can watch over & over again.)

Me too. I can't count how many times I've watched Laura. Makes me a little reluctant to buy it on DVD, though I know I will eventually.

The DVD was in the latest batch of the Fox Noir series (spine No. 14; Laura was spine No. 01). Preminger's Whirlpool, with the delectable Gene Tierney and the suavely villainous Jose Ferrer as a corrupt hypnotist, was also released in this series. These retail for about 15 bucks, which means that discount places sell them for about $10!

But doesn't Whirlpool have the Richard Schickle (sp?) commentary? Or should I say "non-commentary"?

Schickel's commentary is basically unlistenable, lots of gaps, lots of just describing what we're seeing onscreen, and he makes a major mistake in the first few minutes, calling Preminger's Angel Face one of the "Fox Five," when actually it was made for RKO. An Embarrassment.

The movie, on the other hand, is quite worthwhile.

But doesn't Whirlpool have the Richard Schickle (sp?) commentary? Or should I say "non-commentary"?

Schickel's commentary is basically unlistenable, lots of gaps, lots of just describing what we're seeing onscreen, and he makes a major mistake in the first few minutes, calling Preminger's Angel Face one of the "Fox Five," when actually it was made for RKO. An Embarrassment.

The movie, on the other hand, is quite worthwhile.

I'll have to see it sometime.

Just watched Somewhere In the Night. It was one of the earliest "amnesia" noirs (GI doesn't remember who he is, tries to find out on his own, gets deeper and deeper into Nefarious Plot.) It was made before that became a laughable cliche, and directed by Joe Mankiewicz, one of his early forays into directing, when he was just starting to learn what to do with the camera. Not the finest noir ever made, but there are enough good scenes and interesting performances to make it worth a look. And a commentary by Eddie Muller doesn't hurt, either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Criterion is bringing out their redone versions of Playtime, Seven Samurai, and Amarcord this fall. Here's the link to Playtime:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=112

Seven Samurai will become a big 3 disc edition:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=2

I also read that they are redoing their 3 disc Brazil edition. It seems almost ridiculous.

Edited by Adam

Criterion is bringing out their redone versions of Playtime, Seven Samurai, and Amarcord this fall. Here's the link to Playtime:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=112

Excellent news! I have the UK version, but this one is based off the 65 mm print and should be much, much better. They claim it is coming in Sept. Oct. is a bit more likely, and I'll probably ask for it for Xmas.