• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D11520.jpg

anybody pick up this dvd?

:)

I haven't picked it up (yet) but I've heard that the second disc only has a 1973 TV movie version with Richard Crenna. Hardly seems necessary.

Absolutely true. Could win an award for most superfluous DVD extra.

They should put the Crenna Double Indemnity on the same disc as the Mark Harmon Shadow of a Doubt and Gus Van Sant's Psycho re-do.

Then you could shitcan them all in one go.

In Region 2 land, a new collection of the films of Louis Malle is coming out. In fact, it is split over 2 box sets, though I am renting the ones I am interested in to see if I will buy the whole thing (either one): Louis Malle set1

I was particularly intrigued by Zazie in the Metro, which is not available in the US currently. This is based around a novel by Raymond Queneau and was considered unfilmable. I find it pretty interesting, particularly seeing shots of 1960s Paris in vivid technicolor, though it is a fairly frantic film with a lot of surrealistic touches and not to everyone's taste. Maybe you should just mix uppers and downers, watch a bit of Zazie, then a bit of Tati's Mon Oncle to take the edge off.

I was particularly struck by this weird scene, practically out of Benny Hill, where this buxom blonde (looking a bit like a low-rent Marilyn Monroe) is being bothered by a horndog cop. She runs into a kiosk with a poster of Sachel Distel on the door! Then when the door opens a man emerges and there is a bit of guitar on the soundtrack, presumably by Sachel. So I went to look for info on the soundtrack and can't find confirmation of this, but I did learn that Sachel Distel had an uncredited cameo in the movie. And sure enough when I watched it again, it is Sachel Distel standing right next to his poster. Weird.

By the way, is anyone else excited about the new Criterion edition of Playtime? I think it will be pretty cool and it should be the best transfer of the lot, though I would like to read some reviews once it is out. So far it is the only thing on my Xmas wish list.

"Mark Harmon Shadow Of A Doubt"?? :blink:

TV Movie from the early '90s with Harmon in the Joseph Cotten role. Check it out on imdb. I actually watched the original broadcast back then and it was terrible, even worse than you can imagine.

Edited by Kalo

By the way, is anyone else excited about the new Criterion edition of Playtime? I think it will be pretty cool and it should be the best transfer of the lot, though I would like to read some reviews once it is out. So far it is the only thing on my Xmas wish list.

I am.

:party::excited::party::excited::party::excited::party:

Might be my all-time favorite movie. I'll definitely be getting it. Greg Erickson just reviewed the new edition favorably on DVDSavant.com.

TV Movie from the early '90s with Harmon in the Joseph Cotten role. Check it out on imdb. I actually watched the original broadcast back then and it was terrible, even worse than you can imagine.

I can imagine pretty bad. :blink::blink::blink:

It's even worse than that.

The final confrontation on the train, so terse and surprising in the original, seemed to last about 20 increasingly pointless minutes of chasing from car to car...

Oh yeah, and Tippi Hedren's in it too.

I am.

:party::excited::party::excited::party::excited::party:

Might be my all-time favorite movie. I'll definitely be getting it. Greg Erickson just reviewed the new edition favorably on DVDSavant.com.

I'd like to get this too, AND the new edition of The Seven Samurai. Both among my favorite movies of all time. :party::excited:

• 5 months later...

Mr. Moto V. 2 out this past week. My copy should be showing up early next week... my wife & I blew through the V. 1 films the first couple of weeks that we had them.

And some Larry Sanders fans are unhappy about this. I'm inclined to go along with the "better-than-nothing" line of thinking, having waited years for Season 2 to emerge on DVD... LS was a show I made time for when I'd stopped doing such things for the most part regarding TV.

Mr. Moto V. 2 out this past week. My copy should be showing up early next week... my wife & I blew through the V. 1 films the first couple of weeks that we had them.

And some Larry Sanders fans are unhappy about this. I'm inclined to go along with the "better-than-nothing" line of thinking, having waited years for Season 2 to emerge on DVD... LS was a show I made time for when I'd stopped doing such things for the most part regarding TV.

That is sad news indeed. I watched the entire Larry Sanders series in just a few months back when Bravo was showing an episode-per-day. One of my favorite shows of all time. 56 Emmy nominations and they can't just put the complete series on DVD? Pathetic. I'd gladly take it with NO extras, none at all, just the damn episodes, that would be fine. Oh well, at least I've got Freaks & Geeks.

You're making me more and more curious about Mr. Moto...I've always been a fan of Peter Lorre. Box #2 should include at least a dozen versions of the surf instrumental as an audio extra, just for the heck of it. :)

• 3 months later...

Picked up a couple of DVD box sets at FYE today:

Oliver Stone Collection (14 discs; includes Salvador, Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July, The Doors, JFK, Heaven and Earth, Natural Born Killers, Nixon, U-Turn, Any Given Sunday, and Oliver Stone's America)

X-Men Trilogy (for my son <_< )

Both were $9.99 apiece! Well, they will be after I receive the mail-in rebates. But I have patience, and thought both were worth it at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the best version of Blade Runner on dvd? apparently there is a DIrector's cut and also some new 25th anniversary edition?

Some say that the best version is still the original laser disc - especially those who don't like any of Ridley's Director's cuts.

what is the best version of Blade Runner on dvd? apparently there is a DIrector's cut and also some new 25th anniversary edition?

Some say that the best version is still the original laser disc - especially those who don't like any of Ridley's Director's cuts.

Do you mean the original theatrical release?

The laser disc version was the original release, as far as I can tell. It definitely has the original ending, as well as the voice over narration to begin the film. I'm somewhat partial to this version, but I realize many people think the voice over is weak. I don't know too much about the 25th Anniversary edition, but I would wait a while until enough fans review it to see if it is actually that different from the last director's cut.

Speaking of director's cuts, what do people think of the Apocalpyse Now Redux? I believe most critics thought it was a better film, though I think the vote is still out among the general public. To be honest, I haven't sit through the entire thing in one sitting, which I think I should do before finally making up my mind.

The laser disc version was the original release, as far as I can tell. It definitely has the original ending, as well as the voice over narration to begin the film. I'm somewhat partial to this version, but I realize many people think the voice over is weak. I don't know too much about the 25th Anniversary edition, but I would wait a while until enough fans review it to see if it is actually that different from the last director's cut.

Speaking of director's cuts, what do people think of the Apocalpyse Now Redux? I believe most critics thought it was a better film, though I think the vote is still out among the general public. To be honest, I haven't sit through the entire thing in one sitting, which I think I should do before finally making up my mind.

Did you see and like the Director's cut of BLade Runner? did anyone here on this Board see it?

I saw the Apocalypse Now Redux and I think the main change is the inclusion of a scene with a french family living in Vietnam- which the platoon that is the main subject of the film has an encounter with. I do not think this added very much to the version I saw originally and as a matter of fact, I remember it seeming a bit improbable. I am a big fan of the original film.

skeith, wait a few months. The "definitive cut" of Blade Runner is hitting theaters this summer, followed by a DVD package that will include the original theatrical version, the directors cut, and this new definitive version that Ridley Scott says is they way the film was supposed to be. I have seen the directors cut, but I never saw the theatrical version so I have nothing to compare it to. I like the film just fine, but I'm not fanatical about it like many people are.

Regarding Apocalypse Now Redux, its interesting to see and if you love the film its worth owning both versions. There's a DVD package out there called "The Complete Dossier" that can be obtained for about $12 that has both films. I still prefer the original myself, but Redux is definitely worth a viewing.

I gotta say that I'm getting REALLY burnt out on director's cuts. In some cases it's justified (studio tampering, censoring for R rating, cut for running time in the theater) but it's just gotten ridiculous. It's the film version of "digitally remastered". So many times these new cuts end up undermining what worked about the film in the first place. Take the original Alien for instance...yes, sure it's okay to see these deleted scenes...but I think the new Scott cut just ruins the pacing of the film.

I saw the Apocalypse Now Redux and I think the main change is the inclusion of a scene with a french family living in Vietnam- which the platoon that is the main subject of the film has an encounter with. I do not think this added very much to the version I saw originally and as a matter of fact, I remember it seeming a bit improbable. I am a big fan of the original film.

The plantation scene is one of the main additions. The other is additional footage with the USO "bunnies" that come over for the show. I think those were the main tweaks to the movie for Redux, and maybe some other minor touches here and there.

I think the original film works better too.