*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B00005JKFX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Someday I'll get this, but Amazon wants $37! And all the shit I'm interested in comes out on Criterion, I'm getting hosed!

Be careful what you wish for, my man. If nobody bought these at retail price then they wouldn't be able to afford to issue anything else. And I, for one, prefer a world with Criterion DVDs. The same can be said of Blue Note Conns as well.

Buffalo '66

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Billy (Vincent Gallo): What are you doin', what are you doin'!

Layla (Christina Ricci): What?!

Billy: Don't touch me - alright, don't touch me.

Layla: What do you mean - "don't touch me" 'cause we're husband and wife.

Billy: We're a couple that doesn't touch one another. We like each other - we like each other a lot and we span time together. We just don't touch each other, alright? Let's span time... let's use a different color - in the back... do blue, alright. This is the blue period... get up, get up... don't touch me again. Just look like you like me and let's span time, alright? You got that? Yes or no?

Layla: Yes.

Billy: Ok, I don't wanna waste any more money, it's my last two dollars I'm putting in. Yes or no?

Layla: Yes.

Billy: Alright, you do it for me. If you don't wanna do it - don't do it.

Layla: No, no - I'll do it.

Billy: Ok. Let's look like we like each other and span time - and do not touch me. Ok, do not touch me.

Layla: Ok.

Billy: Do not kiss me. Alright, come on...

photo4.jpgphoto5.jpg

photo6.jpg

Edited by rockefeller center

You may be right, but it's still pricey.

Believe me, I'm not made of money either so I know where you're coming from. I should also mention that, despite it's being packaged in a standard case, Down By Law is actually a 2-disc set. This may help sway your decision. Also, it's my favorite film of all time. B)

0790729628.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nice, but I like the book better. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick should get a better film version someday.

No way. This flick is fine; and there won't be a better one made of this book.

I'd like to see one a bit more faithful to the book. A little more light on Mercerism.

Oh, I'm not saying a better one couldn't be made, just that it won't.  The only way I could see a movie being made that was more faithful to the book is if it was made by a "fan", which is always a recipe for disaster in my mind.  But who knows...

Oh, but watching Naked Lunch after all these years proves that it can be done. I wanna see the Mercerism angle played up - with empathy and rocks too! :P

edited because I need a new keyboard!

Edited by 7/4

Anybody know anything about this upcoming Blue Note DVD?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=EMI096008

A reissue of an old video?

from Amazon:

When Bruce Lundvall and Michael Cuscuna revived the Blue Note label in 1985, a reunion concert was held at New York’s Town Hall. The concert brought together some of the most well-known names in jazz, as well as a handful of artists newly signed to the label, on one stage. For well over three hours on the night of February 22, 1985, one jazz legend after another took the stage playing classic tunes from the Blue Note catalog. Many regard this event as the greatest single jazz evening ever!

I am really glad that Criterion decided to re-release those Tati movies.

Down by Law is one of my favorite movies and the Criterion two-disc set is well worth the $39.95 price tag—as are most dvds they put out.

Here are a few other films from the Criterion Collection well worth checking out if you haven’t already:

150_box_100x140.jpg

170_box_100x140.jpg

118_box_100x140.jpg

Anybody know anything about this upcoming Blue Note DVD?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=EMI096008

A reissue of an old video?

from Amazon:

When Bruce Lundvall and Michael Cuscuna revived the Blue Note label in 1985, a reunion concert was held at New York’s Town Hall. The concert brought together some of the most well-known names in jazz, as well as a handful of artists newly signed to the label, on one stage. For well over three hours on the night of February 22, 1985, one jazz legend after another took the stage playing classic tunes from the Blue Note catalog. Many regard this event as the greatest single jazz evening ever!

Yes, the DVD has already been re-issued on DVD.

It had a list price of $19.95

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=EMI090354

I purchased the DVD from Deepdiscount and there was much talk of it on another thread.

But the question I have is for the Blue Note DVD that will released on 1/27/2004.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=EMI096008

This new release has a list price of $29.95

Title: ONE NIGHT WITH BLUE NOTE-REUNION C

The item # is different, but there is no picture or detail description.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows something?

:wacko:

Wow - this thread kinda took off! I know who to ask if I have any further questions about DVDs to purchase... Though I'm surprised no one else has commented on Schindler's List! I think it was an incredibly well made film, and really put you into the center of the Holocaust.

Other recent pickups of mine include Blood Simple and the Big Lebowski.

B00005LC4P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00007ELEL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also got two rock DVDs for Christmas - Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live, and Yes Symphonic. The Yes DVD came with a "bonus" cd of the concert as well. Bot get a thumbs up from this old progger...

B0000DZ3H4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005YUNY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

Blood Simple is such a cool movie! I love that scene where they're in bed and talking about Marty saying he was anal, and just being bewildered by it. :lol: Gets me everytime!

As far as recent acquisitions, I just ordered The 400 Blows. I heard it was really good; I think it's about a French cat house or something... ;) (But seriously, I hope it's as good as it's reputation; I've never seen it.)

Blood Simple is such a cool movie! I love that scene where they're in bed and talking about Marty saying he was anal, and just being bewildered by it. :lol: Gets me everytime!

As far as recent acquisitions, I just ordered The 400 Blows. I heard it was really good; I think it's about a French cat house or something... ;) (But seriously, I hope it's as good as it's reputation; I've never seen it.)

I like it when he grabs her breasts from behind! :wub: Now that is filmmaking at its finest! :tup