*** DVD CORNER ***

By Brakhage - Anthology - Criterion Collection

Another recent acquisition.

Hey 7/4, how IS that, anyway. Brakhage is the Cecil Taylor of filmmaking. Haven't seen anything of his since college film class, but was always impressed.

I haven't heard that one yet! He is like the CT of film making, a very quick paced psych quality from what I saw so far.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan is the man. But his films are really best experienced as films - projected.

That said, I also own the DVD.

I've had a few Brakhage screenings at Filmforum, including a tribute last year after he passed away. We showed three beautiful films, (especially "Chartres Series" which is like a series of stained glass windows) and had comments from Kenneth Anger, Carolee Schneeman, and Steve Anker.

If you don't know Brakhage's work, it might be easiest to start by thinking of him in lines of fine art, but transfering those concerns of light and texture (from painting) into film, adding movement, and dreams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Noticed this one in my local Best Buy this past weekend. Anyone have this? I've never seen the film, but remember some mixed reviews back when it came out...

B00007ELDF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've only seen half of the movie. I rented it, but after an hour of my wife saying repeatedly, "I can't believe you're watching this crap" - I took it out of the DVD player. I enjoyed what I did get to see. :D

I think they captured the Vegas on acid experience quite well. At least from my experiences. :g

I figure if it's good enough to drive my wife crazy, then it must be a good film. :tup:tup

No time to search this thread, but has anyone recommended a decent player for under $150-200?

I have and highly recommend the Pioneer DV-563A. I've seen them for as low as $140 at Best Buy. The nice thing about this player is that in addition to progressive-scan DVD, it also has DVD-Audio,SACD and mp3 capabilities. It's a very nice multi-format player at a great price.

• 3 weeks later...

ss1 - I'd skip the individual release (and the ones for II and III that are sure to follow) and get the box set. May cost you a few more shekels, but you get the bonus disc with material not otherwise available.

B00003CXAA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Besides, it's mandatory to have I & II (III is optional), and the set will look better on your shelf.

Take it from me,

Gandhi Mangler

Edited by Aggie87

From Criterion Collection's website:

John Cassavetes Box Set Slated for Fall 2004

Criterion is preparing a boxed set of five films by legendary American independent John Cassavetes. In addition to new high-definition transfers of Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and Opening Night, the set will include Charles Kiselyak’s award-winning 200 minute documentary, A Constant Forge, along with exclusive new interviews with Cassavetes collaborators Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk, Ben Gazzara, Seymour Cassel, Lelia Goldoni, and others. The set is slated for fall release. Watch this space for more details.

I'm not familiar with John Cassavetes-directed films. Can anyone give me some insight to what they're like?

Edited by sal