ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My beef is that the backing band on that one is in a completely different bag--and it's not so much that it pulls Wright in, but that the reactions and attentions of the rhythm support here come across as a little insipid. Nothing to take away from Wright though, a cat who has always been able to make do in the least likely of contexts.

My beef is that the backing band on that one is in a completely different bag--and it's not so much that it pulls Wright in, but that the reactions and attentions of the rhythm support here come across as a little insipid. Nothing to take away from Wright though, a cat who has always been able to make do in the least likely of contexts.

Think I prefer Kevin, My Dear Son. That is an excellent record - weird, but excellent.

Another Ebay marketing trick : the rarity of Saxophone Colossus. Let's count how many NM copies surface this year. We could repeat this with "blowin in from chicago", "jr monterose" and some others. meanwhile, let's check those two. One Saxophone... ...Another Colossus

Yeah, it's all over the place. I had to rifle through about seven copies just to grab a JVC copy of The Bridge yesterday...

Another Ebay marketing trick : the rarity of Saxophone Colossus. Let's count how many NM copies surface this year. We could repeat this with "blowin in from chicago", "jr monterose" and some others. meanwhile, let's check those two. One Saxophone... ...Another Colossus

Yeah, it's all over the place. I had to rifle through about seven copies just to grab a JVC copy of The Bridge yesterday...

Yeah, the poor Sonny should have became rich if he had kept all those promo copies, instead of gave them to his friend at times.

just bought a vg/vg- (vinyl grade) on ebay for 16 dollars...lets see what shows up :rolleyes:

It's incredible ! At least for me. Is this original one so desirable or are they crazy ? Of course absolutely LOVE this extraordinary Marvin album (who do not ?), but more than 1 K ? Porcy, do you know something about this pressing ?

No.

Their claim of first pressing is a bit tricky, they should have pressed millions copies of this. So if you don't open it and check the stampers, who knows? The album was reissued by Motown in 1981, from its original realese up to this date Tamla label didn't changed AFIK. Maybe the thick gatefold is an evidence, but i am not sure.

I thought I could have a nm original first edition Tamla for less then 50 bucks. At the same times with album like this, the probability you got a wear groove record are usually high. So if you really want a perfect original Tamla pressing... :wacko:

Edited by porcy62

I remember when the reissue came out, which even a few years ago was pretty expensive.

I'm sure it's a good record, and probably I should've bought the reissue!

I have the reissue - and it cost an arm and a leg. I'm told that the sound is better than the original - plus the cover is as near to facsimile as you can get. The music is :tup:tup .

I believe there were only 100-150 of the original Oktavs produced, so the high price of that ebay item is no suprise.

Edited by sidewinder

I had the occasion to buy the Oktav reissue. it was made by a Japanese dealer in Paris and his brother, around 2002-2003. He distributed some copies here and there in France. Sahib Shihab is now one of the most sought after Jazz musician from this era. Look at "Seeds", "Companionship" and the Savoy recording, they all fetch insane price everytime. But the Oktav is really a top rare one.

The explanation of these skyrocketing prices is easy:

Almost ANY combination of "EURO-JAZZ" (especially from the 50s and 60s - and early 70s if on the right label ;)) AND Japanese buyers will make prices go through the roof.

Copies of a similar issue (Lars Gullin/Brew Moore/Sahib Shibab on one of those 60s Danish labels) went sky-high several times on eBay around 2001/2002.

And I remember how I almost fainted when I first saw the prices that that early 10" release by Iancsi Korossy on the Supraphon label (of which I had picked up a NM copy for 2 deutschmarks - about 1 euro - on a local fleamarket in the late 90s) regularly fetched on eBay. ;)

The explanation of these skyrocketing prices is easy:

Almost ANY combination of "EURO-JAZZ" (especially from the 50s and 60s - and early 70s if on the right label ;)) AND Japanese buyers will make prices go through the roof.

Absolutely right. A record dealer told me that in the 80's he desperately tried to get rid of Euro Jazz records. of Shihab or Barney Wilen, Swing 10' etc.. . Nobody was interested or willing to spend money for that. . When i started collecting jazz records, in the mid 90's it was then still possible to find records like "Byrd in Paris" or many Blakeys (Club St Germain, Liaisons dangereuses etc) at affordable prices in Paris. I bought many of them. When i realize that i was not really interested in collecting this kind of records (often low quality press, flimsy covers whatever rarity they are) i burned CD's (not always, i must admit) and sold them, or exchanged them for US records. Now even Slide Hampton european releases are collectible, while his US recordings are almost totally ignored.

Regarding the rarity, i must say that some french jazz are impossibly rare : the Swing 10's are almost impossible to find (i only had a NM "Jimmy Raney visit Paris vol 1" at a time), because very low quantity were pressed. I've never seen a mint copy of Barbey Wilen's Tilt, never seen the "Guilde du Jazz" and the RCA, neither René Urterger on Versailles, or Ronnell Bright or Arvanitas on Pretoria. I always wonder who actually bought them when issued !

I'd say also, that Japanese are heavy bidders, but many repress are often sold for originals : three or five years ago, a mint complete set of "Blakey's club St Germain" was auctionned on ebay at more than 700 $. The complete set was in fact made of early 60's third press. Tried to warn the high bidder... No way...It seems that the combination US artists + European Artists + Small euro label is the big money combination...

I had the occasion to buy the Oktav reissue. it was made by a Japanese dealer in Paris and his brother, around 2002-2003. He distributed some copies here and there in France.

Yeah, I was in his shop and thought about getting it there. I think he was selling it fairly cheaply.

Anyway the mentality of this guy prevents me from buying anything from him.