ebay madness re: vinyl

That actually doesn't seem unreasonable. If there were only 25 made, and it's fair to assume fewer than that remain, well...

I still think that Picasso's sketches are better investments. :D

BTW Would you play a 3.3 K record on your deck, or would you put it in a safety? For me records are for playing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly..not mine. :(

Thought as much - I'll put it in my discography when there's time.

I wonder how these BBC prints "leak" out. Did the Beeb do a flea market once in a while, of things they thought they wouldn't want anymore? Or could listeners order transcriptions?

BBC_WESTBROOK.jpg

There's an expiry date on it too!?

There's an expiry date on it too!?

Probably an airing expiry, rather than disc expiry. Unless, of course, it's a lacquer transcription disc.

Yep, that would be an airing expiry. I'm suspecting that this was sent by the Beeb to an 'affiliated' station down under for airplay. Back in 1971 the old Colonial links (including cultural) were a bit stronger than today.

On a similar subject, one of these transcriptions recorded by Tubby Hayes' Quartet, as recorded for broadcast in Spain, was issued by Harkitt a few years ago ('Commonwealth Blues' I think). That one was in (decent) mono.

... On a similar subject, one of these transcriptions recorded by Tubby Hayes' Quartet, as recorded for broadcast in Spain, was issued by Harkitt a few years ago ('Commonwealth Blues' I think). That one was in (decent) mono.

Hmmm, interesting. I always thought the BBC were very uncompromising and not allowing "their recordings" to be published, even if it means they will be rotting in their vaults forever and a day.

So, is there a theoretical slim chance that we'll get to hear this Westbrook baby published someday?

... On a similar subject, one of these transcriptions recorded by Tubby Hayes' Quartet, as recorded for broadcast in Spain, was issued by Harkitt a few years ago ('Commonwealth Blues' I think). That one was in (decent) mono.

Hmmm, interesting. I always thought the BBC were very uncompromising and not allowing "their recordings" to be published, even if it means they will be rotting in their vaults forever and a day.

So, is there a theoretical slim chance that we'll get to hear this Westbrook baby published someday?

That Tubby Hayes was a strange one. The Harkitt vinyl was 'yanked' off the market very quickly on legal grounds. The CD version was issued by another company (Art of Life) and is in print I think. Just managed to get the vinyl before it disappeared.

I suspect there might be a chance for some enterprising company to ask the Beeb for rights to this one for an official issue (assuming the Beeb still has it on file). I wonder if Mike knows about it?