ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody paid over 500 for a OJC reissue of Sound of Sonny. I guess they just couldn't resist the buy it now price!

I guess they couldn't resist that white label, similar to early Riverside, some OJC have. It makes those "Sound of Sonny" looks like the real deal, especially with a blurred Ebay picture... please add the typical Ebay "more money than brain (and eyes, and knowledge)" behaviour, and you have an explanation of those 500 $. :rolleyes:

Try $599, not $500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Of-SONNY-ROLLINS...bayphotohosting

I have seen this ebay listing many times...is it a sincere mistake ? or a very bad scam ? other reissues are lsited in the price range ... anyway, nobody "bought it now".

Somebody did. Unbelievable. And the pictures of the record label are very clear. You can see OJC right there on the label.

Hell, I just bought an OJC LP of Mulligan Plays Mulligan for six bucks. I think I'll give it a shot!

• 2 weeks later...

somebody paid over 500 for a OJC reissue of Sound of Sonny. I guess they just couldn't resist the buy it now price!

I guess they couldn't resist that white label, similar to early Riverside, some OJC have. It makes those "Sound of Sonny" looks like the real deal, especially with a blurred Ebay picture... please add the typical Ebay "more money than brain (and eyes, and knowledge)" behaviour, and you have an explanation of those 500 $. :rolleyes:

Try $599, not $500:

I have seen this ebay listing many times...is it a sincere mistake ? or a very bad scam ? other reissues are lsited in the price range ... anyway, nobody "bought it now".

Somebody bought it!

Try $599, not $500:

Somebody bought it!

i emailed the buyer a week after sale and let him know so i guess he sent it back. :blink:

Wynton kelly on eBay

What makes this Wynton Kelly a 2nd Press? Did it come out on the white label originally?

The original label for this one must not be small but LARGE (we are in the 250's catalog number). The legend of the "small label" has misleaded many Riverside buyers. In fact not all first press have a small label. The adress on back must start with "553 ... " on not "235.." This session was recorded january 1958, probably published a little later. This press may be around 1959/late1959. "553" adress with large label exist, of course, as a final proof of this scam. But who cares ?

OK. Being a newbie here, what is the difference between "small" and "large" on Riverside?

I have tried to research the forum before asking the question but can't find other mentions with details.

Is there a thread where the riverside labelography and jackets differences are detailed especially with the early blues, an what makes a first press with this series?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Smaller diameter size? Smaller logos? Smaller font?

What should I be looking for to distinguish a original blue label from a later blue label?

Thanks again.

Smaller diameter size, the logos and fonts are smaller but scaled, so you can't say if it's a first "small label" from a close-up of the label only.

What should I be looking for to distinguish a original blue label from a later blue label?

White label:

riverside1.jpg

Blue label (large):

riverside2.jpg

Unfortunately I could not find a picture of a small blue label, but I will try to discribe it.

The diameter size is slightly smaller than a regular size label. As a result the raised center part of the vinyl is only partly covered with the label, if you know what I mean. Also, the deep groove is more to the outside on small labels.

It is a bit difficult to determine for each title what label first pressings need to have.

Generally speaking the first 42-43 titles have (large) white labels. (I think Blues For Tomorrow - 12-243 - is the last one with white labels). Be aware that real early pressings don't have a raised rim, have a quite wide deep groove and are quite heavy. Most white label copies you find in Europe, often stamped with US and GB patent numbers and with a safety lip, are probably pressed here and are much inferior to the "heavy" (real) first US pressings. Covers are always original, though.

The next 10-15 titles have large blue labels (again: no safety lip and quite wide deep grooves).

Then the small label is introduced (As far as I'm concerned first pressing of Kelly Piano has a small label), I think up until 330. Then the label changes to large again.

Regards,

Peter

White label:

riverside1.jpg

Blue label (large):

riverside2.jpg

Unfortunately I could not find a picture of a small blue label, but I will try to discribe it.

The diameter size is slightly smaller than a regular size label. As a result the raised center part of the vinyl is only partly covered with the label, if you know what I mean. Also, the deep groove is more to the outside on small labels.

It is a bit difficult to determine for each title what label first pressings need to have.

Generally speaking the first 42-43 titles have (large) white labels. (I think Blues For Tomorrow - 12-243 - is the last one with white labels). Be aware that real early pressings don't have a raised rim, have a quite wide deep groove and are quite heavy. Most white label copies you find in Europe, often stamped with US and GB patent numbers and with a safety lip, are probably pressed here and are much inferior to the "heavy" (real) first US pressings. Covers are always original, though.

The next 10-15 titles have large blue labels (again: no safety lip and quite wide deep grooves).

Then the small label is introduced (As far as I'm concerned first pressing of Kelly Piano has a small label), I think up until 330. Then the label changes to large again.

Regards,

Peter

Actually you're right, this is the only way to spot a "small label" from a close up picture of the label.

Thanks for the informations. I didn' know them.

Edited by porcy62

Be aware that real early pressings don't have a raised rim, have a quite wide deep groove and are quite heavy. Most white label copies you find in Europe, often stamped with US and GB patent numbers and with a safety lip, are probably pressed here and are much inferior to the "heavy" (real) first US pressings. Covers are always original, though.

I think those raised rim were actually pressed in the US, but a part of them was exported GB and Europe. So they have the 2 patent. They are IMO second white US press. I've some of them, all come from Ebay in the US. I confirm They are very light compared to flat edge.

I think those raised rim were actually pressed in the US, but a part of them was exported GB and Europe. So they have the 2 patent. They are IMO second white US press. I've some of them, all come from Ebay in the US. I confirm They are very light compared to flat edge.

Thanks, I never realised these 'second' white pressings have been sold in the US as well. Interesting.

The blue (both large and small) label issues show similar variations: some are heavy and have wide deep grooves, others are lighter and have raised edges (and patent nrs.). It's not always easy for us collectors!

Thanks, I never realised these 'second' white pressings have been sold in the US as well. Interesting.

The blue (both large and small) label issues show similar variations: some are heavy and have wide deep grooves, others are lighter and have raised edges (and patent nrs.). It's not always easy for us collectors!

I think the "patented" large blue were also pressed in purpose to be sold both part of the Atlantic same as white. The blue label with "pat" are in fact the earliest large blue label (between 242-243 and 250 : i have a 246 blue with "pat" number). After that, European pressing are on the way : the first edition have white label : means that, for some number, some european press have a white when the blue was used in the US.

Capitol reissue of INDEED going for over 300. :excited:

It ended at $1,585.

It's a Classic Records re-issue, with the faux deep-groove and addresses.

Except, of course the obvious 'Classic Records under licence etc.' line at the bottom of the back cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VG-RARE-Lee-Morgan-Ind...1QQcmdZViewItem

:rolleyes:

Edited by eeegor