The ART thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Wally Wood art? I'd hope so, I love his work.

You and me both. :tup Along with Harvey Kurtzman, Jack Cole, Cliff Sterrit, and about 200 other comics and cartoon artists.

Right now I'm looking at a fairly new (2002) art book: "ART NOUVEAU The French Aesthetic" by Victor Arwas. A huge, beautiful book, full of lively reproductions. Must weigh five pounds though.

Oh, and "The Cat"----all of Dietch's "Cat" cartoons have been collected by Fantagraphics in a huge hardcover book titled "Cat On Hot Thin Groove." Worth the money, especially if you're tired of straining your eyes on the miniscule reproductions of The Cat in Weirdo magazine.

deus62,

I've almost picked up that 'popbot' series. Is that the same Foster you linked. Have to explore further! Looks a bit like the stuff by Rick Berry w/o the heavy strokes.

The David Ho reminds me much of John Jude Palencar's work.

As for the precursor to this type of illustration, here is an easy trivia test: what illustrator that had many editorial pieces across the board in the eighties and nineties did the cover for a now sought after Collector's Choice CD???

As for my most favorite of all present day magazine illustrators- Peter de Seve

51196_l.jpg

deus62,

I've almost picked up that 'popbot' series.  Is that the same Foster you linked.  Have to explore further!  Looks a bit like the stuff by Rick Berry w/o the heavy strokes.

The David Ho reminds me much of John Jude Palencar's work. 

As for the precursor to this type of illustration, here is an easy trivia test:  what illustrator that had many editorial pieces across the board in the eighties and nineties did the cover for a now sought after Collector's Choice CD???

As for my most favorite of all present day magazine illustrators- Peter de Seve

51196_l.jpg

If you are interested in that sort of stuff, check out this book:

Spectrum 10: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art. It's a wonderful series, currently in its 10th volume.

There should be tons in there you like.

And, the collectors' value is tremendous, if you go for the hardcovers. The first few volumes in the series have risen dramatically in prize, if you can find any, that is.

Cheers!

P.S.: It was the same Jon Foster.

I have tons of good links here. Will post more in the future. I don't want to saturate this thread. ;)

Edited by deus62

Velazquez

That's a magnificent painting, Maren.

When the Metropolitan Museum bought this (in the late 1960s?), they paid the highest price that had ever been paid for a painting to that time. It was in private hands in England, and auctioned off. It is supposed to be in beautiful condition, much better than the Velasquezs in the Prado (which I have never seen). Apparently the former curator of the Prado used to clean the paintings by pressing squashed up pieces of bread on them. This did clean them, but it also flattened them, so the textural quality of those paintings has been lost.

Did anyone else mention Picasso??? I was never much of a fan, till an exhibit rolled thru Atlanta in the 90's, was so impressed, that when I went out to L.A. later that year, I saw it again....Some Artists just don't come across as well in books as others do...by the way, where are you guys finding the great images? I found many examples of Three Musicians, all terrible, some even with the wrong colors! I saw a link to supposedly the official Picasso site, and it was trying it's damnedest to make me download some file extension!!!

B2738.jpg

Hey deus62, Do have that Spectrum and the previous. Specifically for the work of a good friend I used to work next to for years. His piece is on page 94 of #10 and it's the train titled "Flash Gordon's Rocket Locomotive". This guy is a god in his own right! Used to work up in Hi-Brow at American Geetings just after the R. Crumb days. That train is completely hand crafted. Guy can paint like a son of a gun too. I used to change his blackened water-crock cause it drove me crazy watching him get pristine hi-lights out of his dipping swamp. :D