The ART thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, is this the same Lynd Ward who did "The Biggest Bear," and "The Silver Pony" (not to mention "God's Man")?

Whoops. I sometimes get swept along by my own pedantry.

Didn't mean anything by it, Brownian, just a sincere question. I honestly think it's the same artist. I just wish his woodcut books were still in print.

Hey Man,

Sorry to not reply to your Group of Seven question sooner, but I wanted to check and make sure I got all their names right. "Around 1912 a loosely knit group of artists began to paint Canada as they saw it...Despit the death of mentor Thom Thompson in 1917, these painters banded together as the Group of Seven in 1920 to forge a new Canadian expression." (from the CBC archives online, a yahoo or google search "group of seven" should get you there, sorry I don't know how to do links)

The original seven: J.E.H. McDonald, Arthur Lismer, Fredrick Varley, Frank Johnson, Franklin Carmichael, A.Y. Jackson and Lawren S Harris. Later members: A.J. Casson, Edwin Holgate and Lionel LeMoine Fitzgerald. Other Canadian painters were working along similar lines but were not part of the group per se, e.g. Emily Carr. They were and are a big deal in Canada, so much so that later generations of painters felt compelled to 'break away' from their influence, etc.

I love their work, and proclaiming themselves as a "group" no doubt helped spread their fame, but lumping them together tends to obscure the very real differences amongst them...

see alos, www.mcmichael.com/group.htm

Anyone interested in Lynd Ward's work should go to their friendly local library and check out Storyteller Without Words: The Wood Engravings of Lynd Ward, by Abrams. (It's out of print, of course, but I found it at a library.) It's got all of his woodcut novels, as well as various odd & ends (greeting cards, endpapers, etc) that he did. Also text by the artist himself. Quite a book! He had amazing technique. It's almost too much to take in at once.

Ed,

Tom(my) Thompson, Group of Seven precursor, right?  I love the group of Seven, eight or nine...Don't think I've seen that orangy one before though.

You're right - contemporary/precursor of the Group of Seven. Seeing his work - and the Group of Seven - in real life is amazing. Beautiful work. I've spent a lot of time in the areas from which these guys drew their inspiration so their work really hits home.

I'll be visiting Ottawa in about 3 weeks and am looking forward to checking out the National Gallery of Canada's Thomson and Group of Seven stuff

Edited by Ed Swinnich

How about an artist with a jazz pedigree?

Here's some of vocalist Meredith D'Ambrosio's work:

Peggy2.gif

Peggy's Cove

Autumn2.gif

Autumn in New Boston

ElmSnow.jpg

Elm Street Blizzard

And last but not least, a portrait of her husband, Eddie Higgins, based on a photo of Eddie as a young boy of about 11, and used for the CD cover:

c7109052y1l.jpg

More of Meredith's work can be found at:

http://www.meredithdambrosio.com

• 4 weeks later...

Velazquez

That's a magnificent painting, Maren.

When the Metropolitan Museum bought this (in the late 1960s?), they paid the highest price that had ever been paid for a painting to that time. It was in private hands in England, and auctioned off. It is supposed to be in beautiful condition, much better than the Velasquezs in the Prado (which I have never seen). Apparently the former curator of the Prado used to clean the paintings by pressing squashed up pieces of bread on them. This did clean them, but it also flattened them, so the textural quality of those paintings has been lost.

It's amazing how great art is often damaged by caretakers. Who would have thought about using squashed up bread? :wacko:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...