Esparanza Spalding beats out Justin Bieber for 'best new artist&#3

I'm not sure any opinion of mine is worth this much explication. I was partly reacting to the impression I get that some of us resent any one who becomes too popular whatever their genre. But I was genuinely surprised at

how fringy (is that a word?) she was. All of her group can be described as jazz musicians: individually they've worked with Betty Carter, Ornette, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner etc.; but they've also worked with Terry Riley and Steve Reich (as well as Jay-Z, Elton John and Clay Aiken) and this music seemed to me to be closer to Steve Reich (whose work I love) than to Tyner, Wayne or even Ornette.

And see, that's all I'm really getting at, that in these days and times, you're finding all these people who can play all these different things comfortably because they came up with it all being good to them, so why not? And that in turn means that their "jazz" can bring all that to the table too, as it certainly should, and it should still be considered "jazz", imo, not in the Marsalisian sense, but just because the players come from jazz, and no matter where else they go, they ultimately bring it back to jazz.

It's evolutionary, sure, but...why not. You gotta let peoples be peoples. Sure, the hardcores freak on the notion, but that's what hardcores do.

I can, do, and have, found issue with Spalding's group's music, but always on grounds of performance, not on type of material. Her direction in matrial is what excites me most about where she is right now. Little by litle, it seems to me, we're getting out from under the rock of the Jazz Police. Anything that moves that game ahead is ok by me. You usually bring the fringy into the mainstream, but if you can get the mainstream to go to the fringy, or just have them meet in the middle, that's still getting something done as far as de-scarifying people about so many things there's really no good reason to be scaryfied about.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaa...that is just wrong.

ES was on Jimmy Kimmel tonight after Bill Maher. Apparently she was on the JK show almost 3 yrs ago, so they shared a joke about her getting the new artist award even though she's not a new artist. She is a sweet, genuine, down to earth soul. What a sweetheart.

She performed the song "really very small" to promote her CD, Chamber Music Society. The tune goes from a bass vamp into a nice refrain. I saw her strength in serving up the bass, so no surprise there. In terms of the vocals, she is very gifted harmonically beyond her years, and it's jazz all the way. The violins made for unusual backing, but it's not like you could confuse it for any other genre than jazz.

Edited by EyeSpeech