Oscar night!

Forgetting for a moment the large dose of BS that comes with the academy awards, what films do you think will be the big winners tonight.

I'm betting on King's Speech as the big winner, but would not be surprised if Social Network wins best picture. I hope True Grit takes home some Oscars, particularly for Steinfeld. The Fighter may do well too.

Predictions?

Melissa Leo's win reaction didn't ring true for me. I found her acceptance speech (or lack thereof) to be tedious and her whole time on stage came off as rather unlikable. Her seeming need to use profanity seemed calculated as to try and make a "memorable" moment. It makes me wish that much more that Hailee Steinfeld won. You may feel differently about the whole thing but I have much higher hopes for the remaining major winners.

Edited by mikelz777

It makes me wish that much more that Hailee Steinfeld won.

I thought her performance was award worthy though I get tired of lead actress performances that get filed under the supporting category. This trick happens every few years and it's silly. Not that she would have had a chance against Portman, which is likely why the studio did it.

The most boring Oscars ever.

I got most right with the director award my main mistake. Fincher was robbed by the pedestrian, by the numbers direction of The King's Speech.

For that matter, Nolan's work on Inception was far more notable. Yeah, King's Speech what a totally forgettable, blah piece of Oscar bait. British accents + uplift = Oscar

I also think it is unseemingly predictable how the over-the-top performances get the Oscars (Portman, Bale). I personally think there is less "acting" in those kinds of performances than just showing off. Granted, Colin Firth did win, but he had the British accent thing. Hard to beat. Maybe if they had changed the storyline up a bit and the therapist had been a slightly lower class Brit rather than an Aussie, Rush would have had a better chance. He has won before though, so it probably would have gone to Bale in any event.

I did catch one section I found amusing, and that was when they took the Auto-tune the News technique (mastered by the Gregory Brothers) and made the top film contenders into musicals. It really sounded like the Gregory Brothers work, even their voices, so I am waiting confirmation if it was actually their handiwork (they have been kind of silent lately, though apparently working on a project for Comedy Central).

The most boring Oscars ever.

I got most right with the director award my main mistake. Fincher was robbed by the pedestrian, by the numbers direction of The King's Speech.

totally agreed. i thought Social Network should've also won best picture.

at least it won adapted screenplay. if it hadn't won that i'd've had to burn down a building or something :w

though King's Speech did have have one certifiably great line imo. anyone wanna guess which line i'm thinking of? three little words. it immediately blew me away. it was the duke's response to something his stutter coach said to him. of course, for every good line in Speech, Social Network had 30...

i also had no problem w/ Firth winning for actor. i'd seen all the other nominees (except bardem) and he was certainly more impressive than any of them. pretty weak year in that category imo. but Firth was terrific and i thought the picture as a whole, while certainly by the numbers (as someone else noted above), was very well done. formulas exist for a reason. if they're used well, they work.

edit: additionally, aside from Social Network - Inception/Black Swan/The Fighter all should've won over King's Speech for director imo. that really was a bogus choice.

Edited by thedwork

cool excerpt from Sorkin's acceptance speech:

"I wrote this movie but David Fincher made this movie. And he did it with an ungodly artfullness. Someone this talented has no business being the nicest guy in the world. But he is. And he made the movie of any screenwriter's dreams...

Roxy Sorkin your father just won the academy award. I'm gonna have to insist on some respect from your guinea pig."

Sorkin is totally the man. a couple years ago on this board i was raving about his pilot episode of Studio 60 which apparently nobody cared for. it blew my mind and i thought it was probably the best single piece tv i'd seen - maybe ever. gone after one season. too good for network...

Edited by thedwork

a couple years ago on this board i was raving about his pilot episode of Studio 60 which apparently nobody cared for. it blew my mind and i thought it was probably the best single piece tv i'd seen - maybe ever. gone after one season. too good for network...

I'm a big fan of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. . . that was a great season of a tv show.

I didn't watch a single minute of the Oscars last night. Usually I watch a bit of the broadcast, but this year the hosts didn't draw me in, and I just had better things to do. Like listen to music and marvel, and watch episodes of "Egypt Unwrapped."

Edited by jazzbo

I haven't seen The Oscar telecast since Shakespeare In Love won Best Picture instead of Saving Private Ryan. That was it for me. Nonetheless, I was somewhat disappointed to find that True Grit did not fare well. Thought is was Oscar worthy in several areas. IMO, the whole show is nothing but a self-indulgent love fest. Hollywood-phony in every possible respect. What's the point of actually watching it?