LF: Louis Prima singing "Alla Luna" in Italian???

OK, I've done a big search on the AMG (probably not the best place to go looking for these sorts of things), and come up with nothin'.

Also did a general search for "Alla Luna" "Louis Prima" on Google, and got plenty o' nothin' too.

I'm not 100% sure "Alla Luna" is spelled right, but my brother-in-law's new girlfriend was "mostly sure that's how it's spelled". She and her family are looking for a recording of this particular tune (on CD), as a present for her Grandfather.

Any help would be molto appreciado!!! :g

PS: Needs to be sung by Louis Prima, and needs to be sung in Itallian. Does such a recording even exist?? (Before looking in the AMG today, I really didn't have a clue who Louis Prima was.)

Thanks again for any and all help!!!

Thanks Claypone. I'll do some checking around (probably start another thread on AAJ), and see if I can get some independent confirmation of "Che La Luna" being the tune I'm looking for when she said it was called "Alla Luna". (But that title is pretty darn close, so I'm thinking it probably is.)

I'll also see if I can find some audio-samples (bn.com didn't have any last night, time to check for others), and run them past her - and see if it matches the tune she's looking for (or she can run them by some relative of hers, who probably would know better than she does).

Thanks again!!!

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?? - even if they're just confirming what Claypone posted??

The only other Prima title that I can think of that she might be getting confused about is "Angelina" (sort of sounds like "Alla Luna" if you're a member of the short-attention-span generation, but not as much as "Che La Luna"). Unlikely though, becasue "Angelina" is in English and is an "Italian novelty" type song.

I'd not look too far past "Che La Luna". As somebody who spends a lot of time fielding requests from the public, I can tell you that the odds of her getting the title of something like this exactly right are pretty low unless she really knows her stuff.

(Before looking in the AMG today, I really didn't have a clue who Louis Prima was.)

Prima was a great singer and a great trumpet player. An Italian American who grew up in New Orleans, he was EXTREMELY influenced by Louis Armstrong. Check out "The Wildest!" on Capitol. This is the album that produced the "I'm Just a Giglio/I Ain't Got Nobody" medley that David Lee Roth covered in the 80s and "Jump, Jive, and Wail" (covered by Brian Setzer in the 90s). Keely Smith (Prima's wife at the time) joins Prima on vocals and R&B tenor Sam Butera in on saxophone. It's a classic of it's kind, combining jazz, jump blues, and early rock and roll. Rollicking fun!

Edited by Alexander

The only other Prima title that I can think of that she might be getting confused about is "Angelina" (sort of sounds like "Alla Luna" if you're a member of the short-attention-span generation, but not as much as "Che La Luna"). Unlikely though, becasue "Angelina" is in English and is an "Italian novelty" type song.

I'd not look too far past "Che La Luna". As somebody who spends a lot of time fielding requests from the public, I can tell you that the odds of her getting the title of something like this exactly right are pretty low unless she really knows her stuff.

"Che La Luna" are the first words to "Zooma Zooma", a song paired with "Angelina" on a Prima medley of the two tunes. They do "Angelina" first and then segue into "Zooma Zooma" about 90 seconds in. I'd upload my mp3 to demonstrate but the file size is bigger than this board allows.

"Che La Luna" shows up on these two Prima CDs

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ausjv7i24g76r

f48672xtnhs.jpg

and

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ausjv7i24g76r

f48673t7dwi.jpg

Both originally issued, I think, as LPs on Prima's own label, and both now available on CD.

FWIW, I think that the Prima/Smith/Butera band was, at it's best, a fascinating encapsulation of a lot of the musical identity of the New Orleans of their time. They'd go from R&B shuflle to honking tenor to "Dixieland" and back w/o batting an eye. Don't let the novelty aspect of a lot of the material fool you - these folks were coming to play!

"Che La Luna" are the first words to "Zooma Zooma", a song paired with "Angelina" on a Prima medley of the two tunes. They do "Angelina" first and then segue into "Zooma Zooma" about 90 seconds in. I'd upload my mp3 to demonstrate but the file size is bigger than this board allows.

I have this on "The Wildest Show In Tahoe," which is paired with "Call of the Wildest" on a British import.

One other place you can find the version I mentioned is in the closing credits to the movie "Analyze This." Not sure much that cut's been edited for length in the movie, but it's at least a quick way you can check to make sure that's the song you're looking for, if you happen to know someone who owns the movie.

Both originally issued, I think, as LPs on Prima's own label, and both now available on CD.

Domestically? I've never seen them before. Are they issued as a two-fer, or individually?

Prima had his own label in the mid-late 60s, and I think his daughter might be reissuing the releases. Don't quote me on any of this, though. I could be wrong. But I seem to remember seeing THE KING OF CLUBS in a used LP bin once upon a time.

Sam Butera has also been releasing things under his own name for quite some time now, too. What I've heard of them has been nice. "Light", but nice. The guy's a better player than you might think, and a consummate "entertainer" in the best sense of the word. I hear his health is beginning to falter, but he's still out there gigging.

Lena Prima (the daughter) has her own web site http://onestientertainment.com/pages/lena_...lena_prima.html and apparently a schtick of her own. Kinda creepy if you ask me, but everybody's got to be someplace, right?

Can you e-mail the mp3 to me?? I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Thanks!!! -- Rooster T.

Rooster-

The Tower records site has clips from the "Angelina" album with Che La Luna!

here's the link Angelina CD

Here's another album that has a better clip. It's not Louis Prima, but it may give you a better read if it is acutally the right song.

Che La Luna

and, just to be annoying... a disco version! (also not Prima!) :lol:

Disco Che La Luna!

Hope this helps!

Claypone