Moondog, Would you consider him jazz?

Jazz Groove

Today I listen to my first recordings by Moon Dog. The self entitled album Moondog. I don't know what to think of it yet. Since there is not much out there by this artist to go by, I will have to re-listen to this album before I can put a label on him and what he was about.

I always see him in the jazz sections of music stores. But, is he really jazz?

I love Moondog's music and don't give a damn about how I could label his music. He never claimed to be a Jazz composer or whatever and he certainly didn't make music store owners to put his discs in the Jazz section. If you want to put a label on him, name it "One who cared about the rules of counterpoint."

Great Moondog site: http://www.moondogscorner.de

Complete discography, interviews, photos, ... a great site. They also made the rare "Moondog And His Honking Geese" available on CD - two tracks, EUR 9.

Besides Moondog and Moondog 2 on CBS, there are two Prestige CDs available: "Moondog," "More Moondog." Check out the site, there's more music available that's worth checking out (for example his "A New Sound Of An Old Instrument" on the Kopf label. Some of his 1950ies vinyls can be found on eBay).

17.jpg