Boswell Sisters Box set? Is this something I want?

Thanks. I understand that, but it seems on this board that people use the term mainly to refer to the direct copying of lps by gray market companies.

If the implication in this particular thread (not your comment) is that Mosaic would have used metal parts while Davies did not, in order to reissue the Boswell material, it's not clear to me that the metal parts exist.

I was also somewhat puzzled by the use of the term "needle drop" in this context. In any case, it doesn't appear that Columbia (or Sony or whoever now owns the material) is rushing out to reissue the complete Boswell Sisters (or the portion of the material that they own). The 1995 single CD that they issued in the Art Deco series appears to have used some metal parts (there's a reference in the notes to "metal or shellac parts"), but both CEDAR and NoNOISE were used in subsequent processing.

Having access to metal parts doesn't always guarantee better results, as evidenced by some of the early 1940s Ellington sides from Victor that were reissued from metal parts with mixed results.

I am sure some exist.

No sanctification for Mosaic here.

Just the thought that Mosaic would have unearthed unreleased material (it if exists) and make a very carefully assembled complete box.

Nothing wrong with the Storyville boxes I have acquired so far but they are basically assemblage of previously released items.

Just the thought that Mosaic would have unearthed unreleased material (it if exists) and make a very carefully assembled complete box.

Nothing wrong with the Storyville boxes I have acquired so far but they are basically assemblage of previously released items.

The Nostalgia Arts CD's have a number (but not all) of the alternate takes. They are just not on the same CD as the master takes. Chronology was not the greatest concern of this series.

I don't think Mosaic could have done this set because most of it was recorded for Brunswick 1931-1935. That means part of the recordings belong to Universal and part of it belongs to Sony.

I don't think Mosaic could have done this set because most of it was recorded for Brunswick 1931-1935. That means part of the recordings belong to Universal and part of it belongs to Sony.

That's right! My idea of a Mosaic Boswell box was very hypothetical!

That and the fact that Mosaic would have used all the metal parts they could find would be the reason why I would have preferred a Mosaic. The annotation would have been top-notch too. I have bought John R.T. Davies-mastered sets in the past on the understanding that these were about as good as PD sets can get and like Chuck have had mixed feelings. Most other PD releases are so bad I choose to avoid them all rather than be disappointed.

• 5 months later...

According to these Amazon reviews this box is a disaster. Transfers are terrible, not the RT Davies versions, and the DVD is a 7 minute video scraped from Youtube. Looks like the initial run was withdrawn from the market.

http://www.amazon.com/Boswell-Sisters-Collection/product-reviews/B0051MQ6DC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/186-4738302-3263915?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Edited by matteson

Wow... That's not like Storyville... What the hell happened?

According to these Amazon reviews this box is a disaster. Transfers are terrible, not the RT Davies versions, and the DVD is a 7 minute video scraped from Youtube. Looks like the initial run was withdrawn from the market.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

• 2 weeks later...