Reservoir Music Releases

Tom 1960

I didn't happen to see a thread already dedicated to this label so I thought I might start one up. I just bought a Claudio Roditi release "Free Wheelin': The Music Of Lee Morgan and digging this one awhole lot! Besides Roditi, I'm really enjoying the playing of Nick Brignola. I realise he recorded a number of dates for Reservoir, so I'm sure to be checking out his catalogue in the near future. So as the topic suggests, what are some of your favs from this label? I'm very interested in your responses since a local music store carries a good number of releases from this label.

Happen to be listening to a dandy at the moment - Nick Brignola - "Things Ain't What they Used to Be"- Last Set at Sweet Basil (superior IMHO to the First Set CD)

I really enjoy the music on the Reservoir Label.

Some favs: Nick Brignola - On a Different Level

Nick Brignola - Tour De Force

All the John Fedchock NY Big Band CD's

Joe Puma - Shining Hour

Valery Ponomarev - Profile

J.R. Monterose/Tommy Flanagan - A Little Pleasure

Rob Schneiderman - Back in Town

Gary Smulyan - The Real Deal

John Hicks - Beyond Expectation

Peter Leitch/John Hicks - Duality

Dick Berk - Let's Cool One

Kenny Barron - The Moment

Jon Mayer - Full Circle

Pete Malinverni - Theme and Variations

Hod O' Brien - Live at Blues Alley (all 3 volumes)

I second Hod O'Brien.

I can also mention

Kenny Barron - Only One

Pepper Adams - Conjuration

Steve Kuhn - Best Things

Barry Harris - Live In New York

I also have releases from Dick Berk, John Fedchock, Helio Alves, Pete Malinverni and Rob Schneidermann (nice piano player!)

MCO

Two Schneiderman releases in particular I really enjoy, both with a strong "Messengers" vibe: Dancing in the Dark (Brian Lynch & Gary Smulyan in the front line) and especially Dark Blue with Lynch and Ralph Moore.

I don't have Dark Blue, but do have Dancing in the Dark and I concur with Dan - it's a very strong date. Almost anything with Smulyan on it (as leader or sideman) is good.

Another strong Reservoir date is Peter Leitch's "A Special Rapport" with Hicks, Drummond and "Smitty" Smith. Jay Collins' "Uncommon Threads" is a good one, too.

There have been rumors that Reservoir is winding down. I don't know for sure, but there are a few signs. They haven't recorded a new CD for nearly three years. Their latest release is the re-issue on CD of a 1987 Jed Levy date (which is very good BTW), and every CD in the catalogue is now available for $10 (and the shipping rates are very low, no matter what the quantity). They used to use some kind of on-line marketer for their CD sales, but when you do an on-line order now, it is sent to you directly by owner Mark Feldman. So, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, this is a good place to spend it.

http://www.reservoirmusic.com/

Edited by John Tapscott

As I said in this thread, I saw Gary Smulyan at a local club recently, and he told me that Reservoir Music is out of business. I got the impression that this was going to hurt Gary a bit on the financial side of things. After, you can get royalties from a company that's gone "belly up". Sad. I have some great CDs in my collection from them. Every one of the Nick Brognola dates is worth hearing, with "On A Different Level" being near "desert island" status.

They are clearing out all of their stock for $10. Buy 'em while you can.

Kevin

I didn't happen to see a thread already dedicated to this label so I thought I might start one up. I just bought a Claudio Roditi release "Free Wheelin': The Music Of Lee Morgan and digging this one awhole lot! Besides Roditi, I'm really enjoying the playing of Nick Brignola. I realise he recorded a number of dates for Reservoir, so I'm sure to be checking out his catalogue in the near future. So as the topic suggests, what are some of your favs from this label? I'm very interested in your responses since a local music store carries a good number of releases from this label.

Tom, not surprising a local shop has a good selection...I assume you know that Reservoir was based in Kingston, owned by a Dr. Mark Feldman iirc. Jack's Rhythms (Main St. in New Paltz) carries a lot of Reservoir CDs.

I'll chime in on Hod O'Brien (own all three Blues Alley discs).

Reservoir re-issued the J.R. Monterose / Tommy Flanagan A Little Pleasure.

I've heard Pete Malinverni live and think he deserves attention, but I only have one disc (The Tempest) out of his several Reservoir releases, so can't specifically recommend anything.

[Added] Good grief, forgot to mention John Hicks Beyond Expectations.

Have been considering the Bertha Hope disc for a long time; if the label's going out of business, I'll have to pick it (and some others) up soon. :(

Edited by T.D.

Reservoir has been one of my favorite jazz labels since they began operation. It is very disappointing that they have gone out of business. I have a large majority of Reservoir's releases. I agree with almost all of the recommendations on this thread.

Here are some I can recommend that have not yet been mentioned.

Dick Berk - East Coast Stroll

Nick Brignola - Raincheck and The Flight Of The Eagle

Dick Katz - 3 Way Play and The Line Forms Here

Joe Magnarelli - Persistence

Peter Leitch - The Red Zone and Exhilaration

Bertha Hope - Nothing But Love

Rob Schneiderman - Radio Waves and Keepin' In The Groove and Endgame and Smooth Sailing

Don Sickler - The Music Of Kenny Dorham

Jay Collins - Uncommon Thread

This thread got me to thinking that there were several more titles that I'd like to have in my CD rack before they all dry up so I ordered:

Valery Ponomarev: Means Of Identification

Ralph Moore: Round Trip

Buddy Tate/Al Grey: Just Jazz

Valery Ponomarev: Live At Sweet Basil

Rob Schneiderman: Dark Blue

Dick Katz: The Line Forms Here

Claudio Roditi: Double Standards

Andres Boiarsky: Into The Light

I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Kevin

I had the opportunity to meet Mark Feldman for about 75 minutes yesterday. Since we both live in the same town, I emailed him the night prior about ordering some discs and the possibilty of meeting to complete the transaction. Since we were both off from work yesterday, we got together at his office and had a very pleasant conversation. Mark is a very nice guy. He exchanged some very funny stories about musicians he's dealt with in the past. He spoke of shows he attended in the past which was pretty cool from my vantage point. He also showed me some great black and white photos he had on his office wall. One especially cool featured Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley at Slugs in New York. He said to say hello to Chuck Nessa, Allen Lowe and John Tapscott. As for the matter concerning Reservoir Records, he did state he longer would put out any new issues. Just too costly these days. As for the present catalogue he did state that some titles will go OOP. He does still maintain the Reservoir Records website for any future purchases. I didn't get the impression that he was closing things down there at any future date. He did however state he had some sort of agreement to sell some of the catalogue through I Tunes which he felt was the wave of the future. I ended up purchasing 10 discs from him. More than I probably should have at this point in time. But money well spent in my mind. Can't wait to hear it all. All in all, it was great having the opportunity to sit down and talk to Mark. I hope we can meet again in the future.

Edited by Tom 1960

• 2 weeks later...

Two Schneiderman releases in particular I really enjoy, both with a strong "Messengers" vibe: Dancing in the Dark (Brian Lynch & Gary Smulyan in the front line) and especially Dark Blue with Lynch and Ralph Moore.

Let me also add since I own the above releases, "Radio Waves" is a very fine outing. Mark Feldman recommended it to me. Brian Lynch, Ralph Moore and Gary Smulyan are on the front line.

Let me also add since I own the above releases, "Radio Waves" is a very fine outing. Mark Feldman recommended it to me. Brian Lynch, Ralph Moore and Gary Smulyan are on the front line.

Actually, when I gave a :tup to Dancing in the Dark above I was thinking of Radio Waves. I got them confused because Lynch and Smulyan are on both. Radio Waves is the one I have and it is indeed an excellent outing. A few days ago I ordered Dancing in Dark from Mark (along with a few more!)