The Eddie Diehl Movie

fasstrack

Made by his friend Bart Thrall for entry in the Woodstock film festival. An hourlong documentary with interspersed performances about guitarist Eddie Diehl. Filmed mostly in his Poughkeepsie guitar repair shop and at duo performances with bassist Lou Pappas. Eddie talks about his life, recording with Hank Mobley and Hank Jones, the jazz scene in Harlem through the '70s, working at the Folklore Center from '72-'83, and how he acquired his '30s D'Angelica. A worthwhile hour with a complex guy and swinging, original player I've been friends with since 1976.

If the film is too much to digest at once, there are smaller clips of the performances also on youtube. Punch in Eddie Diehl in the search box.

Edited by fasstrack

I'll try to watch the whole thing later but, in a nutshell, what does he say about Mobley?

Bertrand.

There's a stand-alone clip, culled from the film, where he talks about Hank and that date. Go to youtube and put Eddie's name in the search line. Best to let him speak. The news is good, and the praise high, though.

I'm watching it right now. Thanks for posting this. Eddie Diehl seems like a cool guy. I need to pick up Well, Here It Is. With Diehl, Hank Jones, John Webber and Mickey Roker, you can't miss.

Nice, but not his best IMO. (I've told him that).* See if you can get Al Haig: Manhattan Memories. It never came out on CD, but side 2 of the LP features Eddie a lot. He's just as relaxed---one of his strong points, always, but stretches out more and has some nice spots on ballads like My Little Brown Book and Nuages. Also very nice playing on side one on a Cedar Walton tune (not sure of the name). The group was a working group, so right away it's better. I think Al sounds better here than back in the day. Jamil Nasser and Frank Gant are good, too, and I like the program.

There's a bunch of tapes made by a guy whose name I don't have permission to reveal, among them Eddie and Red Mitchell, who hired him at Bradley's in 1989. They read each other's minds and Eddie is really at his best. But I don't think they'll ever be available b/c Red's widow won't allow it---according to a knowledgeable source. There's also a concert at Bard College produced by a then-student. It's with Bill Crow and Jimmy Cobb. I like it a lot, Eddie doesn't. It might be archived at the school if you want it that badly.

*Don't get me wrong. It's a perfectly fine CD with good playing by all, but a bit polite and routine for my taste. A good, but not super-special jazz date. I really appreciate that Ilya (Lustak, who created Lineage Records, and a good guitar player himself) did this for Eddie.

Edited by fasstrack

I'm glad this film was made. Eddie Diehl deserves it.

A couple of comments: I've heard Eddie play live a fair number of times and have heard him play stronger and more adventurously than on the two examples in this film - at least imo.

And the questions asked by the interviewer seemed a bit narrow. I've spoken with Eddie several times and have always been impressed by his interests and intelligence. Some of that - not all - comes across in the film. I know that there's only so much that can be shown in an hour long film.

But, as I say, I'm glad that the film was made, and I hope some good things come Eddie's way as a result of it.

edit - many thanks to Mr. Fass for posting the link.

Edited by paul secor

I'm glad this film was made. Eddie Diehl deserves it.

A couple of comments: I've heard Eddie play live a fair number of times and have heard him play stronger and more adventurously than on the two examples in this film - at least imo.

And the questions asked by the interviewer seemed a bit narrow. I've spoken with Eddie several times and have always been impressed by his interests and intelligence. Some of that - not all - comes across in the film. I know that there's only so much that can be shown in an hour long film.

But, as I say, I'm glad that the film was made, and I hope some good things come Eddie's way as a result of it.

edit - many thanks to Mr. Fass for posting the link.

You're welcome, Paul.

I wouldn't nessecarily blame Bart Thrall for 'narrowness' of questions. True, he was a bit over-the-top with the hagiography bit. But knowing Eddie since 1976, he is so damn multi-layered, and especially such a 'circumloquator' in conversation talking to him is usually like trying to catch raindrops in a bucket with holes. And, though he's mellowed a bit, those drops are still falling hard, intense, and seemingly incessantly. To his credit he really simplified his answers to Thrall's questions (such as they were), stayed on subject, and off the manic metaphysical/beatnik/Gary Null-ite Eddie-isms I know and love so well.

I agree about the playing, BTW, but it's still good---and representative.

• 3 weeks later...