• 1 month later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Just put an order in before the sale ends and noticed that several non-sale items had quickly and recently disappeared off of the site without any 'running low' warning. In particular - the Turning Point 'Creatures of the Night/Silent Promise'. Wonder what happened there? :huh:

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...

There's a "Part 2" batch of re-issues due out soon, apparently.

BTW I see that the Don Carlos release "Latin Crazy" mentioned above has Joe Harriott and Phil Seamen on it. Has anyone heard it and if so, what's it like?

Edited by Head Man

Thanks. I assume you've bought direct from them? I never have, although I've bought from their Amazon Marketplace account and have emailed them with release requests (never got a reply).

Sadly, this is all the jazz we will be getting this time. The home page says that part 2 will be popular music.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Allow me:

This exciting Vocalion release brings together the original soundtracks from three classic 1970s British soft-core sex films, each of which starred 1970s glamour-puss Fiona Richmond, the then girlfriend of self-proclaimed King of Soho, Paul Raymond. This X-rated trilogy was directed by library music legend James Clarke, the man responsible for some of the finest – and funkiest – compositions in the catalogues of publishers such as KPM, Amphonic Music and Bruton Music. The disc kicks off with James’s beautiful, colourful score for 1977’s ‘Hardcore’, which purported to tell the lascivious life story of Fiona Richmond. The music ranges from the most exquisite romantic orchestral material (Tale of Two Girls, Tricky Hand) to Fender Rhodes-laden jazzy funk (Heavy Keyboard, Fruity and On Stage), all performed by a star-studded line-up of British session musicians including Barry Morgan (drums), Herbie Flowers (bass guitar), Steve Gray (keyboards) and Tristan Fry (percussion). The disc is completed by various cues from Steve Gray’s hauntingly beautiful score for 1975’s ‘Exposé’, which also starred Udo Kier and Linda Hayden, and a suite of music drawn from James Clarke’s lush, orchestral score for 1977’s ‘Let’s Get Laid!’, which paired Fiona Richmond with sex comedy star Robin Askwith.

This is the first time that any of this music has been commercially released, and all of it has been expertly remastered from the original analogue stereo tapes, for that trademark Vocalion crystal-clear sound. The accompanying booklet contains fascinating liner notes by James Clarke, as well as rare unseen photographs and original promotional material connected with the films.

This came out when Vocalion was releasing lots of library music of the Seventies, a field in which James Clarke was a prolific composer. Although even I was surprised at this coming out.

I can never quite get my head round Clarke, a composer of quite sensitive, romantic music, also directing these softcore sex and horror films. He seemed such a mild-mannered, rather posh old chap at the KPM Allstars event in Islington a couple of years ago. Expose was even among the list of films known as "video nasties" in Britain in the 1980s.

and Linda Hayden, as well as rare unseen photographs and original promotional material connected with the films.

That clinches it. My order's in.. :cool:

Looks like this music was recorded at Morgan Studios, which should make it worth a listen. Vocalion have done a good job with their Morgan Series reissues. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...