Vocalion

crisp

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hum Dono on CD! Great...just preordered. This will suffice until I win the lottery and can buy a mint original LP :)

wow!! don't believe it - just made my day

So, they must have had the tapes all along - hope it's not going to be a needle drop - that's not something that Dutton/Vocalion would do

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ordered me some ... forgot the Dick Morissey, but then I don't really know him anyway - worth putting on the wantlist?

Definitely - he often gets overlooked but those Mercury and 77 Label LPs are up there with Tubby Hayes' output of that era, IMO. Particularly 'Storm Warning', a live session cut with Phil Seamen.

• 3 months later...

Blimey - with spoken intros by David Jacobs. Almost like a time warp..

Nice to see some more Vic Ash out there.

Edited by sidewinder

Blimey - with spoken intros by David Jacobs. Almost like a time warp..

Oh how I loathed that man's voice on a Sunday evening. Fixed in my mind (along with the soporific music he presented in the 70s) with the horrors of the weekend being over. Only Sing Something Simple could bring you closer to topping yourself.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

No idea but at 99p each I'm tempted to have a punt on these. If nothing else you get the plumby vowels of e.g. Peter Clayton and the not so plumby but amiable Welshness of Dill Jones doing the intros..

Did you mean the plumby voice of the late David Jacobs? Not really known as a jazz man. But the late Peter Clayton's voice however was the epitome of cool and he was a highly supportive and knowledgeable enthusiast of contemporary jazz in the 1960s and '70s. I miss him. And Humph too for that matter.

1 hour ago, RogerF said:

Did you mean the plumby voice of the late David Jacobs? Not really known as a jazz man. But the late Peter Clayton's voice however was the epitome of cool and he was a highly supportive and knowledgeable enthusiast of contemporary jazz in the 1960s and '70s. I miss him. And Humph too for that matter.

Agreed,  Peter Clayton's style drew me to jazz in my late teens. He was enthusiastic and an excellent communicator. I really stopped listening to JRR after he died. It just wasn't the same.

I knew Peter Clayton well, accompanying him to many gigs, interviews and the odd BBC recording.. With JRR he chose the records played himself and tried hard to get a good balance of material. He always endeavoured to do the programme live  so he could report on deaths etc.  I agree JRR has not been quite the same since.  He was a great broadcaster and all round journalist but never regarded himself as an expert on jazz.

That's interesting John - JRR has never really been the same since Peter Clayton left it, I had a couple of requests played by him back in the day, always amazed that they actually got picked. He was excellent on 'Sounds of Jazz' as well on Sunday late nights. Charles Fox was also outstanding on BBC radio for jazz broadcasting around that period - very authoritive and his shows much valued by me (and wish I'd recorded them).

Yes, David Jacobs was the guy with the plummy tones, that's who I was thinking of.

Edited by sidewinder